Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: dan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis when I was 25. Now 35, and just getting home today from another hospital stay, this is making me nervous. My symptoms (this time) started as some mild cramping and quickly progressed. I went to the hospital Saturday evening 6-16-11 and was right back in there at 2am on Sunday. The pain was unbearable. I was vomiting with chills, cold sweats (to the point of being soaked) abdominal pain, blood in the stool, and moaning due to the pain. This was the worst flare up I have had yet to date. I waited 3 days before going to the ER, which was 3 days to long. Being diagnosed at 25 with this is a very young age, from what I am told. This flare up actually scared me. If you have this disease you must take care of it, or it will take care of you, and not in a good way.

Comment from: walter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I had been diagnosed with diverticulitis 20 or more years ago as a by-the-way diagnosis. My actual problem then was kidney stones. I had the odd stomach pains, then a barium edema and Sigmoidscope. Two weeks ago I felt fine. I was having a good day. Then at 10 p.m. I went to have a stool movement, and was horrified that I excreted blood and lots of it! I went to Emergency of St. Paul's Hospital here in Vancouver where I had more bowel movements and more blood loss. I was close to having blood transfusion, bleeding stopped polyp removed, benign. I'm okay now.

Comment from: Mistyjday, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am a 33 year old female. I have had stomach problems for 8 years now. I have no appendix or gallbladder. I found out about 3 years ago I have diverticulitis. I had several attacks over the years, with what I thought was gas. I never went to the Dr for "gas" but did go to the Doctor about 5 months ago because of the horrible pain in my left side, that turned out to be a diverticulitis infection. I had to beg my Doctor for a colonoscopy because I am so young, finally after getting the test done, I had to have a colon recession. The Surgeon removed about 2 feet of my colon/large intestine. Which he said had hardened and was not functioning. I have been eating fiber very well for 10 years now and that is what hurt my stomach the most, although my Doctor encouraged me to eat fiber, I did, even though it hurt me it still helped me during all this. I am now at 7 weeks after this surgery and I am so glad I had it done. My stomach feels much better now, with no cramping of the intestines or gas! Now just hoping it stays this well!

Comment from: jimbocephus, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I awoke abruptly early Tuesday morning around 4 am, with severe stomach pain and cold sweats. Rushing to the bathroom, I experienced diarrhea and even vomiting. Afterwards, I showered and got ready for work. There was still some pain, but bearable. Throughout the day, I took various antacids thinking it could be handled that easily. The pain continued to the next day, but still went to work popping TUMS like candy. Then on Thursday, I still had abdominal pain. Stubborn me, still drove to work. Every bump was excruciating! After about an hour at work, I couldn't take it anymore and drove myself to the ER. Once a CT scan was done, I was admitted. I knew then, that it wasn't a simple problem. The diagnosis. Diverticulitis -- since then, I've been on a strict in-hospital diet of "potassium added, sodium chloride " No food, No water, No ice. Going on three straight days. Then I'm looking forward to surgery on Sunday.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was just diagnosed. I am only 41 and I have been suffering with left lower quadrant pain for about six years but it has gotten very bad in the past six months with attacks about every month. I was diagnosed through a CT scan and placed on Cipro and Flagyl. My doctor also suggested probiotics and I added vitamins D and C to boost my immune system. I am surprised because I eat a diet extremely high in fruits and vegetables and little junk - no soda or alcohol, not much processed foods... I also have high fluid intake and no constipation.

Comment from: Lainie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

This is my second episode of diverticulitis. A pre-cursor symptom for me was that several days before the acute episode, I had severe abdominal bloating; looking like I was 7 months pregnant! No pain yet. A couple of days later the pain started along with a mild fever, lack of appetite and fatigue. I went on a clear liquid diet for a day, followed by a day of bland. This didn't seem to help and I got very weak. I called my doctor's answering service and the doctor called in Flagyl and Cipro. I had also fainted, sweated heavily, and was white as a ghost! I got very nauseated from the Flagyl despite taking with a little food. So he then called in Phenergan suppositories which very quickly helped eliminate the awful nausea. Now I use the suppositories 20 minutes or so before I take my prescrition, giving it time to work beforehand. My diverticula are all in one area, the sigmoid colon. I may elect to have this surgery since I don't want to deal with this for the rest of my life.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?