Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: Joe(England), 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I have for some time now been suffering from constant abdomen pains and in spite of various ultrasounds, CT scans and colonoscopies, four years down the line I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and no treatment offered other than a visit to a dietician! Just now I feel rather unwell, low level temperature and the usual pain. What I'm looking for from other fellow sufferers is advice on food, and perhaps, anything that may alleviate the worst of the condition.

Comment from: Kacy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 29

The fatigue and chills came first in mid-June 2011. When I saw my family doctor, he pressed on my abdomen and located the area of diverticulitis. Because of that, I knew what it was when the pain hit that night. I am allergic to Flagyl, so my doctor treated it with large doses of antibiotics. It took three rounds of strong antibiotic pills, with a "booster" shot of antibiotics the second week. It took 3 weeks for me to recover and get back to work. I actually eat pretty healthy, take fiber supplements, and exercise, but that's no guarantee that I will be free of episodes. I've discovered that rich foods (e.g., like real ice cream or things that contain a lot of butter) will cause a round of painful diarrhea and nausea.

Comment from: Gfer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

After a trip to the emergency room with lower left side abdomen pain and vomiting, a CT was done showing diverticulitis. I was treated with oral Cipro and Flagyl, broke out in a rash, fainted twice and found out I am allergic to them. Doctor put me on a different antibiotic, and I had an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy done and a colonoscopy, which confirmed diverticulitis. It has been three weeks now and I still have pain, vomiting and diarrhea. One polyp was removed from my lower colon and two from my stomach, and I have been on a liquid diet.

Comment from: rugdog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

Think of it as your house plumbing, don't jam it up by overeating. Be more aware of how fast different foods digest. I personally have given up beef, and nuts including peanut butter; for me it slows my digestion time. This in itself helped my diverticulitis a lot. Chicken, pork, fish, beans, fruit, and vegetables, all digest well for me. Be observant fix it yourself.

Comment from: Blondie4life66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was sick on New Year's Eve. I went to the doctors and he took a urine sample and found traces of blood in my urine. My back and stomach were in a lot of pain. He told me that I had kidney stones and to drink lots of water and gave me pain medicine. Few days passed and I ran a fever and had vomiting. Pain was horrible. My husband took me to the emergency room. There they ran blood test and CT scan. I was told I had a severe case of diverticulitis. Infection was real bad. I was admitted to the hospital. I was in hospital for almost 4 days. It was worse than my children and having my appendix removed. Or even my hysterectomy.

Comment from: sixties, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I suffer with diverticulitis, I am having more and more bouts of flare ups. While doctor gives me antibiotic for flare up, once I stop taking the antibiotic I start to feel pain again. I not only get pain in lower left hand side but in lower back. When I go to toilet even only a little, it only relieves pain for few minutes and then it is back. I bleed at the rectum, I don't know if this is just so much wiping myself when going to the toilet or not. I feel as if there is a protrusion at rectum.

Comment from: Just Beachy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 2 years post operation from an emergent sigmoid colon resection, with reversal 4 months later. I am hoping it is safe to assume I no longer have diverticulitis.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?