Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"ve had many bouts of diverticulitis. They used to only occur once every few years, but started occurring with increasing frequency (every few weeks), sometimes requiring antibiotics. I had a colonoscopy and the surgeon said if I recall correctly "In the old days we would operate if you had multiple flare ups requiring hospitalization or antibiotics, but we don"t do that so readily, because the risks of operating outweigh the benefits, or risks of doing nothing." She"s probably right, but I am left with having to endure flare up after flare up, sleepless, painful nights, and finally, if I can"t take it anymore, a long wait in emergency room, for antibiotics and a shot for pain, which generally wears off by the time I get home, but it is better than nothing. I can"t help but feel that my doctors are not taking this problem and the amount of pain it causes seriously, unless there really is no solution and nothing they can do about it. I understand doctors' reluctance to prescribe narcotics, is there no antispasmodic or anti-inflammatory or anything that might make this more livable!

Comment from: Joe(England), 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I have for some time now been suffering from constant abdomen pains and in spite of various ultrasounds, CT scans and colonoscopies, four years down the line I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and no treatment offered other than a visit to a dietician! Just now I feel rather unwell, low level temperature and the usual pain. What I'm looking for from other fellow sufferers is advice on food, and perhaps, anything that may alleviate the worst of the condition.

Comment from: Kacy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 29

The fatigue and chills came first in mid-June 2011. When I saw my family doctor, he pressed on my abdomen and located the area of diverticulitis. Because of that, I knew what it was when the pain hit that night. I am allergic to Flagyl, so my doctor treated it with large doses of antibiotics. It took three rounds of strong antibiotic pills, with a "booster" shot of antibiotics the second week. It took 3 weeks for me to recover and get back to work. I actually eat pretty healthy, take fiber supplements, and exercise, but that's no guarantee that I will be free of episodes. I've discovered that rich foods (e.g., like real ice cream or things that contain a lot of butter) will cause a round of painful diarrhea and nausea.

Comment from: Dennyb, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I've had diverticulitis pain most of my life and it finally got so bad I couldn't get rid of it with antibiotics. The doctor cut 6 inches off my colon and after 6 months or so I was rid of it. Apparently he didn't quite get all of the pouches that were there as I have a flare up a couple times a year now. A colonoscopy will verify how bad my diverticulosis is. The operation was well worth it.

Comment from: Gfer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

After a trip to the emergency room with lower left side abdomen pain and vomiting, a CT was done showing diverticulitis. I was treated with oral Cipro and Flagyl, broke out in a rash, fainted twice and found out I am allergic to them. Doctor put me on a different antibiotic, and I had an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy done and a colonoscopy, which confirmed diverticulitis. It has been three weeks now and I still have pain, vomiting and diarrhea. One polyp was removed from my lower colon and two from my stomach, and I have been on a liquid diet.

Comment from: rugdog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

Think of it as your house plumbing, don't jam it up by overeating. Be more aware of how fast different foods digest. I personally have given up beef, and nuts including peanut butter; for me it slows my digestion time. This in itself helped my diverticulitis a lot. Chicken, pork, fish, beans, fruit, and vegetables, all digest well for me. Be observant fix it yourself.

Comment from: Blondie4life66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was sick on New Year's Eve. I went to the doctors and he took a urine sample and found traces of blood in my urine. My back and stomach were in a lot of pain. He told me that I had kidney stones and to drink lots of water and gave me pain medicine. Few days passed and I ran a fever and had vomiting. Pain was horrible. My husband took me to the emergency room. There they ran blood test and CT scan. I was told I had a severe case of diverticulitis. Infection was real bad. I was admitted to the hospital. I was in hospital for almost 4 days. It was worse than my children and having my appendix removed. Or even my hysterectomy.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?