Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: sybrs, (Patient) Published: March 13

I had struggled with diverticulitis for approximately ten years. After the first flare up and diagnosis, the flare ups became more frequent and more intense to the point where I was sick all the time. If I wasn't in a flare up I was nauseated constantly. The antibiotics are harsh and made me sick also. Finally I came to the place where I was tired of being sick. I sought out a colorectal surgeon and had approximately 18 inches of my colon removed about 4 weeks ago. Best thing I have done! The constant sick feeling is gone and I am eating foods that I haven't been able to eat in years. My advice to anyone who is considering resection surgery is to find a surgeon who specializes in colon surgery. I am still somewhat sore on the inside but am improving daily. So thankful for my surgeon and for the wonderful care I received!

Comment from: Nannie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I find that it helps my diverticulitis if I immediately start a liquid diet, high in fiber, for at least 5 days, go to the doctor as soon as possible, and get a prescription of antibiotics.

Comment from: LIL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a burst appendix last year and the CT scan showed up diverticulitis. After a colonography showing up polyps I had a colonoscopy done and it was confirmed that I have severe multiple polyps and a polypectomy needs to be done. I did not have the obvious symptoms and after a few trips to the doctor with severe cramps, which he diagnosed as a stomach bug initially, I went back to the surgeon that did the appendectomy and he had the scopes done. Besides the pain in the left side/groin area I experience extreme pain in the lower back and hip which is worsened by heavy work/lifting/a lot of walking, even just the shopping trips, and to say the truth this pain is more severe than the actual pain in the side. I eat well, drink plenty of water, am not overweight, and get enough exercise so it beats me what could have caused this condition! I will report back once the polypectomy has been done, but this condition is not something to play about with. Have it checked out sooner rather than later!

Comment from: LimoLady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was feeling very ill for a number of weeks, I began to think I was anemic. I got 2 random fevers and then a few days later, excruciating pains sending me to hospital. I had CT scan, pain medication, IV fluids, and Flagyl for 5 days, after being diagnosed with diverticulitis. I was feeling better and desperate to get back to normal, went home and 3 days later I am still very tender, very afraid to eat anything other than soup, broth, tea, yogurt, pudding cup, and cranberry juice. I have prescription for 2 weeks of antibiotics orally, and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: shorty-2, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 25

I have been suffering from diverticulitis since my early 20s. I try to watch what I eat and pretty much know what can set it off so I don't eat those foods. I now take a probiotic acidophilus once a day and it has helped tremendously. It takes the bad bacteria out and replaces it with good bacteria in your digestive system. The first three days though stay close to a bathroom it will make your bowels move (it's getting rid of the bad bacteria). It really has helped me, I still get my attacks but have gone for months without any. I hope this helps you, like it helped me. Good Luck.

Comment from: crampy no more, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had diverticulitis a year ago. I was treated with oral Cipro and Flagyl which was very hard to keep down on a clear liquid diet when you"re already nauseated. A little tip. Take a saltine or 2 with the medicines. I haven"t had any more problems. I eat whatever I want except corn, especially popcorn. I had eaten a lot if it and those husks are hard and jagged and I"m quite sure they were the cause. My suggestion is to definitely take any form of whole corn or popcorn from your diet.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"ve had many bouts of diverticulitis. They used to only occur once every few years, but started occurring with increasing frequency (every few weeks), sometimes requiring antibiotics. I had a colonoscopy and the surgeon said if I recall correctly "In the old days we would operate if you had multiple flare ups requiring hospitalization or antibiotics, but we don"t do that so readily, because the risks of operating outweigh the benefits, or risks of doing nothing." She"s probably right, but I am left with having to endure flare up after flare up, sleepless, painful nights, and finally, if I can"t take it anymore, a long wait in emergency room, for antibiotics and a shot for pain, which generally wears off by the time I get home, but it is better than nothing. I can"t help but feel that my doctors are not taking this problem and the amount of pain it causes seriously, unless there really is no solution and nothing they can do about it. I understand doctors' reluctance to prescribe narcotics, is there no antispasmodic or anti-inflammatory or anything that might make this more livable!

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?
Diverticulitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with diverticulitis.
Diverticulitis: Diet, Foods to Avoid Question: What foods have you found to aggravate your diverticulitis? Do you take probiotics, and in what way have they been helpful?