Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: Luvmyrott223, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had low abdominal pain for about 3 months but since I am 48 years old and premenopausal I thought it was just from that. On Valentine's evening 2012 I had such low left and right abdominal pain I couldn't stand up straight, the nausea was awful, chills, fever. I thought I had a stomach bug. My husband finally convinced me to go to the Emergency Room and after a CT Scan and pelvic ultrasound I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis and admitted. I spent 3 days on IV only (nothing by mouth not even ice chips) and strong antibiotics Cipro and Flagyl and yes morphine for such extreme pain I couldn't stand it. I improved and was given soft foods and sent home with instructions to eat low fiber diet, decaf only, no alcohol, no spicy foods and no heavy lifting. I was fine for almost a month but now have had my first flare up (severe pain, cramping, diarrhea, gas and low grade fever) so it's back to soft foods for me. I have yet to see the Gastric Doctor as it takes time to get an appointment but I'm going soon. Don't wait to see someone, don't try to sneak foods you can't have, keep a diary of what you eat and how you react to it. This is no disease to play around with. If it gets out of control the poisons released into your body can kill you (peritonitis). Be safe and well.

Comment from: kfed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

In April 2004, I was sitting in my living room and all of a sudden, I had the worst pain of my life on the lower left side of my abdomen. The pain lasted only about 15 seconds. The next morning, I had a slight fever, dry heaves and mild pain. I never had symptoms of diverticulitis before and mine had perforated. I went to the emergency room after seeing my primary doctor. I was rushed into surgery and spent 15 days in the hospital - including 3 days in the ICU. I had a colostomy for 6 months. Since the colostomy was reversed, I have made sure to eat better. Lots of fresh fruit and veg. plus 1 dose (or 2) of metamucil per day.

Comment from: hwnsnoopie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was diagnosed this past October 2011 with diverticulitis, after years of being diagnosed with IBS. I went to the doctor thinking I had the flu, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and severe bloating. He gave me Cipro and Belladonna which helped a lot. I had to drink fluids for two weeks, and I still occasionally go a day with an intake of fluids only. I cut out drinking beer and limit myself to one soda per day if that. I drink water the rest of the time. I keep a food diary, eat only when I am hungry and in small portions. I still have gas pains for about an hour after eating anything. I quit my stressful job, and now have a job that I enjoy, walking 8hrs, lifting and moving all around. Have lost weight and feeling better.

Comment from: Shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was having problems with my stomach for as long as I can remember. One day I got sick at work and went home thinking I had a virus of some sort. Late that night I got this awful pain in my side, and decided it was time to go see my family doctor. A CT SCAN was ordered after he examined me and it was determined I had Diverticulitis. I am currently on 2 different antibiotics and feel somewhat better, except I'm afraid to eat because food still hurts going down. It's only been a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping it clears up soon.

Comment from: pelagiaeast, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

This is a follow up on my posting from last night. I was over optimistic about having stopped the attack. I did have about a half hour reprieve, and the pain in the colon area never came back, but I ended up taking more aspirin because of the back and leg pain. So Pepto-Bismol does not help me. I was a bit worried about how much aspirin I was taking. My fever went way past low-grade. At one point it was 103+. I don't know if that was the highest or not. Needless to say, I had the chills and shaking. Now I am really thinking about dehydration, since all that water I drank didn't result in trips to the bathroom. My tissues must have needed it.

Comment from: calogan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have been dealing with this for years but never knew what it was. Finally in August 2008, I ended up at the emergency room where they did a CT scan. I was told I had diverticulitis. I was admitted to the hospital where I stayed for three days. Once I was out, I continued to have pain and was on antibiotics off and on for a couple of months. Then in December 2008, I ended up having surgery. I was in the hospital for six days. It was the worst thing I had ever been through, but I thought that it would be all over. Now here it is almost three years later, and I'm still having problems and pain. I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist in September because I have now been told that I have acute diverticulosis, and my doctor wants me to see a specialist because of my age. I just turned 33 in April. I was told that it is pretty rare that someone under 40 ever has problems with this.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?