Patient Comments: Diverticulitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your diverticulitis?

Comment from: walter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I had been diagnosed with diverticulitis 20 or more years ago as a by-the-way diagnosis. My actual problem then was kidney stones. I had the odd stomach pains, then a barium edema and Sigmoidscope. Two weeks ago I felt fine. I was having a good day. Then at 10 p.m. I went to have a stool movement, and was horrified that I excreted blood and lots of it! I went to Emergency of St. Paul's Hospital here in Vancouver where I had more bowel movements and more blood loss. I was close to having blood transfusion, bleeding stopped polyp removed, benign. I'm okay now.

Comment from: kfed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

In April 2004, I was sitting in my living room and all of a sudden, I had the worst pain of my life on the lower left side of my abdomen. The pain lasted only about 15 seconds. The next morning, I had a slight fever, dry heaves and mild pain. I never had symptoms of diverticulitis before and mine had perforated. I went to the emergency room after seeing my primary doctor. I was rushed into surgery and spent 15 days in the hospital - including 3 days in the ICU. I had a colostomy for 6 months. Since the colostomy was reversed, I have made sure to eat better. Lots of fresh fruit and veg. plus 1 dose (or 2) of metamucil per day.

Comment from: hwnsnoopie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was diagnosed this past October 2011 with diverticulitis, after years of being diagnosed with IBS. I went to the doctor thinking I had the flu, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and severe bloating. He gave me Cipro and Belladonna which helped a lot. I had to drink fluids for two weeks, and I still occasionally go a day with an intake of fluids only. I cut out drinking beer and limit myself to one soda per day if that. I drink water the rest of the time. I keep a food diary, eat only when I am hungry and in small portions. I still have gas pains for about an hour after eating anything. I quit my stressful job, and now have a job that I enjoy, walking 8hrs, lifting and moving all around. Have lost weight and feeling better.

Comment from: Shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was having problems with my stomach for as long as I can remember. One day I got sick at work and went home thinking I had a virus of some sort. Late that night I got this awful pain in my side, and decided it was time to go see my family doctor. A CT SCAN was ordered after he examined me and it was determined I had Diverticulitis. I am currently on 2 different antibiotics and feel somewhat better, except I'm afraid to eat because food still hurts going down. It's only been a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping it clears up soon.

Comment from: pelagiaeast, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

This is a follow up on my posting from last night. I was over optimistic about having stopped the attack. I did have about a half hour reprieve, and the pain in the colon area never came back, but I ended up taking more aspirin because of the back and leg pain. So Pepto-Bismol does not help me. I was a bit worried about how much aspirin I was taking. My fever went way past low-grade. At one point it was 103+. I don't know if that was the highest or not. Needless to say, I had the chills and shaking. Now I am really thinking about dehydration, since all that water I drank didn't result in trips to the bathroom. My tissues must have needed it.

Comment from: calogan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have been dealing with this for years but never knew what it was. Finally in August 2008, I ended up at the emergency room where they did a CT scan. I was told I had diverticulitis. I was admitted to the hospital where I stayed for three days. Once I was out, I continued to have pain and was on antibiotics off and on for a couple of months. Then in December 2008, I ended up having surgery. I was in the hospital for six days. It was the worst thing I had ever been through, but I thought that it would be all over. Now here it is almost three years later, and I'm still having problems and pain. I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist in September because I have now been told that I have acute diverticulosis, and my doctor wants me to see a specialist because of my age. I just turned 33 in April. I was told that it is pretty rare that someone under 40 ever has problems with this.

Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Causes Question: What are the causes of your diverticulitis?
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Attack Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your diverticula attack?