Table of Contents
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis facts
- What is diverticulosis?
- What is diverticulitis?
- What causes diverticula and how do diverticula form?
- What are diverticulitis symptoms?
- Is there a special diet or digestive supplement that can treat or prevent diverticulitis symptoms?
- What are the more serious complications of diverticulitis?
- How are the diagnosis of diverticulitis and diverticulosis made?
- What is the treatment for diverticulitis and diverticulosis?
- Medical treatment of diverticulitis and diverticulosis
- Surgical treatment for diverticulitis
What are diverticulitis symptoms?
Most patients with diverticulosis have few or no symptoms. The diverticulosis in these individuals is found incidentally during tests for other intestinal problems. It has been thought s many as 20% of individuals with diverticulosis will develop symptoms related to diverticulosis, primarily diverticulitis; however, the most recent study suggests that the incidence is closer to 5%.
The most common signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:
- Abdominal pain (left lower abdomen)
- Abdominal tenderness (left lower abdomen)
- Constipation or, sometimes, diarrhea. Continue Reading