disulfiram - oral, Antabuse
GENERIC NAME: DISULFIRAM - ORAL (dye-SUL-fi-ram)
BRAND NAME(S): Antabuse
WARNING: This medication should not be given to a patient without their knowledge. Do not take this medication if you are under the influence of alcohol or have drunk alcohol in the last 12 hours.
USES: This medication is used along with counseling and support to treat alcoholism. Disulfiram works by blocking the processing of alcohol in the body. This causes you to have a bad reaction when you drink alcohol.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 4/16/2014
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Back to Medications Index
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions