Patient Comments: Dissociative Identity Disorder - Causes and Risks

If identified, what was the cause of your dissociative identity disorder? Do any relatives have it?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I'm always losing time, not knowing how I ended up in places, having people tell me I've been acting weird and I don't remember doing some of the things they said I did. It's frustrating. I cut and everything to relieve the stress. I also lose things a lot or find things that aren't mine or get in trouble for stealing. I've gotten into trouble for punching people or hurting people and i don't remember doing it. It's very scary.

Comment from: notSybil257, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have a brother, now deceased from an overdose, who had five personalities. I don't know what caused his DID. My causes are from physical, mental, and verbal abuse, including being molested by another brother. My abuse was so severe that I had to be resuscitated one time.

Dissociative Identity Disorder - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your dissociative identity disorder?
Dissociative Identity Disorder - Treatment Question: Please discuss your treatment for dissociative identity disorder, including therapy or medication.