Patient Comments: Dissociative Identity Disorder - Causes and Risks

If identified, what was the cause of your dissociative identity disorder? Do any relatives have it?

Comment from: Ophelia 027, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 27

I was a caregiver to a young women with dissociative identity disorder (DID), who is now dead. She was a dear friend, and I recognized the disorder in her before she was formally diagnosed. I knew she had been abused and had been hospitalized twice before when younger (10 year old, according to her), as she herself revealed to me. At age 23, she had a six year old son and professed herself a homosexual. I was told her son was a product of incest. I do not think she received good treatment ever. She self-mutilated by burning herself when she was in my life. Seven years later she died in a fire supposedly started by a dropped cigarette in the middle of the night. I will never know whether it was an accident. She is finally at peace.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I'm always losing time, not knowing how I ended up in places, having people tell me I've been acting weird and I don't remember doing some of the things they said I did. It's frustrating. I cut and everything to relieve the stress. I also lose things a lot or find things that aren't mine or get in trouble for stealing. I've gotten into trouble for punching people or hurting people and i don't remember doing it. It's very scary.

Comment from: notSybil257, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have a brother, now deceased from an overdose, who had five personalities. I don't know what caused his DID. My causes are from physical, mental, and verbal abuse, including being molested by another brother. My abuse was so severe that I had to be resuscitated one time.

Dissociative Identity Disorder - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your dissociative identity disorder?
Dissociative Identity Disorder - Treatment Question: Please discuss your treatment for dissociative identity disorder, including therapy or medication.