Patient Comments: Dissociative Identity Disorder - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your dissociative identity disorder?

Comment from: cnlights2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I missed a lot of time - not just hours but days! Nobody, not even I, although some said I was acting weird, knew. I had been diagnosed with borderline and dissociative identity disorder. My changes happened quick and at any time. I"d be found across town, don"t know how, or what I did. I did do a lot of overdoses and cutting (one time I needed a transfusion). I don't know everything because a lot of times people didn"t know and I wouldn"t find out for a while.

Comment from: roseflowers, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

Sleepwalking, hearing voiced. Not knowing how I got to a certain place. Could recognize myself in the mirror several times. I can't sometimes recognize my own handwriting. One of me is dyslectic by the way the other can speak 7 languages. one of me can play the piano and 10 other instruments the other is tone-deaf. I was physically and mentally and sexually abused. Ended up in a mental hospital after getting a partial memory loss after being raped at the age of 24. Stayed there for 2 years I am 48 now and I gained back my health and I believe that with proper care all people who got this can get their mental health back. I abused alcohol and valium etc for 20 years. The doctor I got now is super great!

Comment from: skipjack110, Published: January 25

After going through therapy, I discovered my alter appeared shortly after or during sexual abuse as a small child around age 6. All during my childhood and adult life I would have many incidents where people would talk to me that I did not know and even call me by a different name. I have found myself in places not knowing how I arrived there or who I was with. This has caused 2 failed marriages as I was accused of being unfaithful, or spending money then lying about it. My current wife is able to distinguish two separate entities. One being passive while the other is very angry and unable to trust anyone. I love her very much but the other alter dislikes her and calls her all kinds of names. This has been very challenging for her but she is loving and understanding. I am so lucky to have her as my wife.

Comment from: Foot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Hearing voices inside my head, being made fun of by people saying you're talking in that little girls voice, or you're acting like a child. My memory is the craps, staying focused, arguing in my head, problems making decisions, cutting, suicidal, marriage problems, daily triggers from TV, or something that said or done, feeling we don't belong in this world, not relating to adults and scared of them, sleeping problems, bad thoughts and pictures, spacing out and not knowing it and hours or day gone by. I could go on and on. The truth is this problem had screwed up my life and I'm 37now. It makes me angry, and sad, and frustrated, hopeless, and just sucks and I have a background of sexual abuse from early age by family members that stopped in my mid twenties. When was I was 19 I tried to trust in the justice system to make them held accountable, but I no longer believe in the justice system in any crime. Especially if one of the abuser is a powerful attorney himself, which makes me sick he was an attorney and was breaking the law.

Comment from: Dual, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

The symptoms of my dissociative identity disorder consisted of losing memory and hearing the voice of an alter in my head. When switching, my alter takes full control of my body, my mind, and my possessions and at times, my alter would hide them. Therefore, I suffered memory loss and the possessions I could no longer find.

Comment from: Unique, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

My symptoms of dissociative identity disorder were not recognizing myself in the mirror, depression, mood swings, anxiety, headaches, and suicidal tendencies.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

My symptoms of dissociative identity disorder where hearing voices that I was able to hear and talk back to, but no one else could. I always had this feeling that someone was in my head. I would have what I called "black time," where I would black out and then wake up minutes or hours or sometimes even days later and not have known what had happened or what I had done.

Comment from: all4ofus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I found that the loss of time, and finding myself in places that I had no idea how I got there has been the most difficult for me. Clothes in my closet that is too small for my body. Totally a passivea-aggressive behavior within myself, and others noticing a slight difference in my speech and actions.

Dissociative Identity Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: If identified, what was the cause of your dissociative identity disorder? Do any relatives have it?
Dissociative Identity Disorder - Treatment Question: Please discuss your treatment for dissociative identity disorder, including therapy or medication.