Patient Comments: Dissociative Identity Disorder - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your dissociative identity disorder?

Comment from: genderbender, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My symptoms of dissociative identity disorder include slight memory loss, nothing major like blacking out and ending up in different places, but saying things I don't remember and people telling me I did something that I'm so sure I didn't do. Also hearing voices in my head and I believe I have about 4 alters one angry, awful one that hates just about everything, one very sad one that just annoys me, one that is super protective but I've only been in contact with once, and one I call Bubba who absolutely loves to have fun. I like Bubba a lot. I am aware of the switches between us and that scares the living daylights out of me.

Comment from: lostinheadspacee, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I have black outs due to my dissociative identity disorder. I will be somewhere and then I'm in another place and I can't remember how I got there or what I did. I have time lapses. I know about my alter egos, but there is no true memory of any. I do go to therapy. I don't like loss of the control on my life or the fact I'm unaware of what I'm doing, it is stressful anyway. Well, good luck.

Comment from: cnlights2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I missed a lot of time - not just hours but days! Nobody, not even I, although some said I was acting weird, knew. I had been diagnosed with borderline and dissociative identity disorder. My changes happened quick and at any time. I"d be found across town, don"t know how, or what I did. I did do a lot of overdoses and cutting (one time I needed a transfusion). I don't know everything because a lot of times people didn"t know and I wouldn"t find out for a while.

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Dad had a section of his lung removed 6 years ago and is now experiencing chronic pain in the incision area, probably because of adhesion. The doctor gives him pain pills but a limited amount.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Wow, I'm not alone, this is a great day. I so appreciate all of you sharing. It is extremely hard. I am just trying to stay home. I am not alone, I have me and me and me. Seriously dissociative identity disorder is awful and I work very hard to help myself. At this time I try to keep away from TV programs that I may see as real and people that aren't mentally kind. I am just now looking for help. I have to get some help. I'm 55.

Comment from: anglesgrace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I have found with DID (dissociative identity disorder) that my therapist had me give each personality a job. So one is an artist, another a counselor, another a mom and once in a while a wife; she doesn't like the whole cleaning the house thing as well as my five year old that loves toys. My daughter came up with a container for each personality, and it is working well. Jewelry which is my passion fits well and an outfit per personality helps too.

Comment from: skipjack110, Published: January 25

After going through therapy, I discovered my alter appeared shortly after or during sexual abuse as a small child around age 6. All during my childhood and adult life I would have many incidents where people would talk to me that I did not know and even call me by a different name. I have found myself in places not knowing how I arrived there or who I was with. This has caused 2 failed marriages as I was accused of being unfaithful, or spending money then lying about it. My current wife is able to distinguish two separate entities. One being passive while the other is very angry and unable to trust anyone. I love her very much but the other alter dislikes her and calls her all kinds of names. This has been very challenging for her but she is loving and understanding. I am so lucky to have her as my wife.

Comment from: Foot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Hearing voices inside my head, being made fun of by people saying you're talking in that little girls voice, or you're acting like a child. My memory is the craps, staying focused, arguing in my head, problems making decisions, cutting, suicidal, marriage problems, daily triggers from TV, or something that said or done, feeling we don't belong in this world, not relating to adults and scared of them, sleeping problems, bad thoughts and pictures, spacing out and not knowing it and hours or day gone by. I could go on and on. The truth is this problem had screwed up my life and I'm 37now. It makes me angry, and sad, and frustrated, hopeless, and just sucks and I have a background of sexual abuse from early age by family members that stopped in my mid twenties. When was I was 19 I tried to trust in the justice system to make them held accountable, but I no longer believe in the justice system in any crime. Especially if one of the abuser is a powerful attorney himself, which makes me sick he was an attorney and was breaking the law.

Dissociative Identity Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: If identified, what was the cause of your dissociative identity disorder? Do any relatives have it?
Dissociative Identity Disorder - Treatment Question: Share your treatment for dissociative identity disorder, including therapy or medication.