Patient Comments: Dissociative Identity Disorder - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your dissociative identity disorder?

Comment from: psychomom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

The symptoms of my identity disorder were memory loss, ie. I couldn't remember events, how I got somewhere, how I got certain possessions, how I knew certain people, etc. I could hear voices in my head. I was accused of lying quite a bit about where I was or who I was with or how much money I spent, etc., but honestly I had absolutely no clue why I was being accused of these things. People would talk to me like they knew me and I'd have no clue who they were, sometimes I would feel like I was outside myself, time lapse and memory lapse. My alter also cut herself.

Comment from: lindabooten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

Awakening in hotel with no memory of how I got there, where I was, or what I had done. People talking to me like they know me but calling me by another name, and I have NO idea who they are. Finding things in my possession which don't belong to me with no idea where they came from. I also have 5 different styles of clothing. I have found myself looking into a mirror without being able to recognize myself. I have also cut on myself frequently throughout my life as a coping mechanism.

Dissociative Identity Disorder - Causes and Risks Question: If identified, what was the cause of your dissociative identity disorder? Do any relatives have it?
Dissociative Identity Disorder - Treatment Question: Please discuss your treatment for dissociative identity disorder, including therapy or medication.