Patient Comments: Dislocated Shoulder - Cause

What caused your dislocated shoulder?

Comment from: Bary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I never knew I had chicken pox but, when I was 15 or 16, I had a small patch of blisters break out on my left side rib cage. I didn't know they were shingles but now I have read you can get the shingle blisters at your initial chicken pox exposure and not really show other signs. Here it is some 50 years later and I had performed some yard work and thought I had strained the muscles on my rib cage. The pain was intense for about two days and the blisters appeared on my rib cage from the center of my chest around to my spine in the classic ribbon. The pain is intense. It is now about day 9 for the blisters and they seem to be starting to dry up but the horrible pain is still there. Hopefully I will be able to sleep again. I'm getting the vaccine as soon as I am over this. I can't afford a doctor so I am riding this out by myself.

Comment from: tootired, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have a viral pneumonia but was treated with 2 antibiotics that didn't help. At first, I thought it was sinusitis but after I got sicker a chest x-ray showed infiltrate and atelectasis. Needless to say, after 3 weeks of being sick I worked sick and got worse; shortness of breath, loss of appetite and weakness. I had a CT with contrast and was found to have fluid around lungs and heart. The emergency room doctor explained I had inflammation around my lungs (pleurisy) which is pretty much why I hurt when breathing, so I am on NSAIDs and a steroid and was told to get rest and drink plenty of fluid. I also have to follow up with a cardiologist to check my heart out because of the fluid. Please, if you start to feel sick don't wait around and self-diagnose because it can get worse and get fatal.

Comment from: Lidi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I'm 33 and was playing soccer last night. I swung my arm around while countering my balance and I felt a sharp pain and could feel it out of place. There was a lot of pain and I feared the worst. I held my arm against my body and walked off the pitch. None of my team mates or opponents knew what to do. I lay flat on my back and slowly lifted the arm on the dislocated side over my head, I felt it lock back into place and the pain eased. Straight away I put heat rub on it and covered it with a thick jacket. I have use and mobility of the arm but limited as there is still some pain. I am heading for an x-ray and a professional opinion.

Comment from: Abitibi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm 60 and had never dislocated my shoulder before 2 months ago and yesterday. Both times, it happened while moving on my left side and using my left arm to push my upper body up to get out of bed! The first time, I somehow managed to pop it back in within about 10 to 15 seconds by instinctively moving my shoulder and arm. Yesterday, it took closer to 10 to 15 very painful minutes. My wife googled "dislocated shoulder placement" and we tried two different maneuvers (arm and fore arm at 90 degrees and raised to side or front of shoulder) before it finally slipped into place.

Comment from: Karl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I'm 67 year old male. I slipped on ice and fell hard. Right shoulder dislocated (oddest feeling ever) and I re-located it within seconds by moving my shoulder and arm in just the right way. Pure dumb luck that it worked. I went to urgent care facility and had x-rays, got sling (which I only used once), and anti-inflammatory drug (Advil). My fears are two: 1) It may happen again, 2) shoulder may never heal properly. It's two weeks now and still bad, but apparently healing takes many weeks or more.

Comment from: SalCall1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My first dislocation was 4 years ago. I was playing hockey and was checked and landed on my left elbow, dislocating my shoulder. It spontaneously reduced when I changed position, from lying to sitting. Two years later, I fell through an open ice rink door during warm ups and had a much more severe dislocation, requiring medical intervention. The last two times (last year and last night), I just turned my wrist and reached for a puck and it went out again. I am considering some sort of intervention now to keep it in place.

Dislocated Shoulder - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of a dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Treatment Question: What was the treatment or therapy for your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Complications Question: What were the complications related to your shoulder dislocation?