Patient Comments: Dislocated Shoulder - Cause

What caused your dislocated shoulder?

Published: November 22

Two days ago I was running and tripped on the sidewalk. A few years ago the same thing happened and I broke my hand, cracked a rib, skidded on my face, etc., so as I went down I rolled to protect my hand, landed on my shoulder. At the ER, it took some trouble to get it back in, but since then I have been relatively pain free. I am in a sling, but hope to start running in 2-3 weeks. I am a 55 year old woman.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 29 year old, and I've been having recurring dislocated shoulder problems on my left side. I had this same issues ten years ago and went through x-rays, MRIs and an arthrogram and eventually an operation to correct the problem. I thought that was the end but now ten years later the same problems arise. I have seen my doctor and he used the term "subluxation" meaning it is partial dislocation. I'm having a tough time doing my daily duties at one of my jobs and any wrong movement and my left shoulder pops out of socket. This has happened to me seven times this year alone.

Comment from: Mrsvickers06, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Two days ago I was hit from behind by a teen running down some stairs. My right shoulder dislocated and I was taken to the ER where it was put back in place. I keep it in a sling 80% of the day and try to ice it 2-3 times. I am out of work for at least a week due to this injury and a laceration on my knee.

Comment from: richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

My dislocation occurred playing basketball. I elevated my arm on the near-by stage, walked my arm out with my fingers and rotated my body towards the shoulder and it painlessly popped back in. Lucky me. One month later I can work it gently and I experiment a little with range of motion stretches.

Comment from: sharpie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

After flying through the air having hit a large bump skiing I landed on my shoulder. I was in great pain but popped in very quickly at the hospital.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: September 26

I'm seventeen and my dislocation occurred during football on Friday when someone got tackled onto my shoulder. I couldn't move it and went to the ER, where no doctor touched it, just X-rays. On Tuesday I went to the Chiropractor and within 10 seconds said it was dislocated and put it back in. I don't know the full extent of the injury yet, I have to get an MRI soon.

Comment from: charhikes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I was hiking in the white mountains of NH. I was trying to get down a slippery, very large boulder while holding on to an overhanging tree limb. My feet slipped out from under me and my shoulder dislocated while trying to hold on to the tree. Extreme pain followed.

Comment from: Jimbo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I slipped and fell on top of my left shoulder at friend pool. I am 51 years old male popped my shoulder. I have started oxygen treatment told it speeds recovery.

Comment from: Slip and slide, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

The first time I slipped on black ice and landed on my left shoulder. The second time, one week later, I reached for the car door to close it. I could not move my arm except for elbow down. I've had very successful physical therapy. I had full range of motion and strength 5 months later.

Comment from: Baden, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm 72 years old. I was surfing and was picked up and dumped by a large wave hitting the bottom with my right shoulder. Upon recovering and returning to the beach, I knew immediately that the shoulder was dislocated. It was popped back by a paramedic at the local country hospital.

Dislocated Shoulder - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of a dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Treatment Question: What was the treatment or therapy for your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Complications Question: What were the complications related to your shoulder dislocation?