Patient Comments: Dislocated Shoulder - Cause

Question:What caused your dislocated shoulder?

Comment from: Abitibi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm 60 and had never dislocated my shoulder before 2 months ago and yesterday. Both times, it happened while moving on my left side and using my left arm to push my upper body up to get out of bed! The first time, I somehow managed to pop it back in within about 10 to 15 seconds by instinctively moving my shoulder and arm. Yesterday, it took closer to 10 to 15 very painful minutes. My wife googled "dislocated shoulder placement" and we tried two different maneuvers (arm and fore arm at 90 degrees and raised to side or front of shoulder) before it finally slipped into place.

Comment from: Karl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I'm 67 year old male. I slipped on ice and fell hard. Right shoulder dislocated (oddest feeling ever) and I re-located it within seconds by moving my shoulder and arm in just the right way. Pure dumb luck that it worked. I went to urgent care facility and had x-rays, got sling (which I only used once), and anti-inflammatory drug (Advil). My fears are two: 1) It may happen again, 2) shoulder may never heal properly. It's two weeks now and still bad, but apparently healing takes many weeks or more.

Comment from: SalCall1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

My first dislocation was 4 years ago. I was playing hockey and was checked and landed on my left elbow, dislocating my shoulder. It spontaneously reduced when I changed position, from lying to sitting. Two years later, I fell through an open ice rink door during warm ups and had a much more severe dislocation, requiring medical intervention. The last two times (last year and last night), I just turned my wrist and reached for a puck and it went out again. I am considering some sort of intervention now to keep it in place.

Comment from: learning mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My 10 year old son had an injury. He was in extreme pain a week later, and I was told it was only a sprain. I took him to a chiropractor that same day and got it put in place and it was much better. Unfortunately, he went back to football practice two weeks after injuring and it it kept getting popped out.

Comment from: TT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 'air drumming' (kind of like air guitar) when my shoulder became dislocated. I had to be driven to the emergency room and sedated to put it back. The doctor said as soon as the medications started working my arm dropped off the pillow and it popped back into place. The doctor also said that's bad because it goes in and out with ease - meaning the ligaments are probably torn and will most likely reoccur.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 29 year old, and I've been having recurring dislocated shoulder problems on my left side. I had this same issues ten years ago and went through x-rays, MRIs and an arthrogram and eventually an operation to correct the problem. I thought that was the end but now ten years later the same problems arise. I have seen my doctor and he used the term "subluxation" meaning it is partial dislocation. I'm having a tough time doing my daily duties at one of my jobs and any wrong movement and my left shoulder pops out of socket. This has happened to me seven times this year alone.

Comment from: Geoker, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

About four years ago, I was running down the stairs of one of the campus buildings, late for my final. My heel caught the edge of the stair and I immediately fell. I reached to catch the handrail, but was already falling. I hit the stairs with my outstretched arm when the shoulder dislocated, rolling down the stairs the rest of the way. When I hit the ground, it popped into place. The shoulder pops quickly every so often- if I stretch, if I reach high, if I fall or shift in my sleep (it wakes me up fast!). Just recently it popped out and I was unable to slip it back in as fast as I usually can. I'm getting it checked out at the doctor soon, but I'm nervous to see what they say, as I'm only 24 with no previous history before this!

Comment from: lil ker, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I'm 32 years old while working outside my 80lb chocolate lab took me down with his lead, landing my on my left shoulder. Plus is I'm right handed. Anyway I got to the er and within 3 hours got it back in. I have been a sling 3 weeks now and try to keep it as still as possible. I ice it twice a day as I still have pain in my shoulder and surrounding muscle groups. I am scared it will pop back out and am nervous to start P.T as I have never been hurt before.

Published: November 22

Two days ago I was running and tripped on the sidewalk. A few years ago the same thing happened and I broke my hand, cracked a rib, skidded on my face, etc., so as I went down I rolled to protect my hand, landed on my shoulder. At the ER, it took some trouble to get it back in, but since then I have been relatively pain free. I am in a sling, but hope to start running in 2-3 weeks. I am a 55 year old woman.

Dislocated Shoulder - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of a dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Treatment Question: What was the treatment or therapy for your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Complications Question: What were the complications related to your shoulder dislocation?