Patient Comments: Dislocated Shoulder - Cause

Question:What caused your dislocated shoulder?

Comment from: shoulder shrug, 25-34 Female Published: June 14

Upon throwing my first punch at 14 yrs old my shoulder dislocated. I have had issues repeatedly and am limited in activity. Always have to think about what my shoulder may do.

Comment from: Aaron, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 18 year old son was playing basketball and he went for a 3 pointer. As he threw the ball his arm twisted almost inside out and his shoulder popped. He didn't really feel it pop but noticed it was sore after the game. You could see that his left shoulder had dropped. We took him to the Doctor and he put his shoulder back into place. He won't be playing for 2 months.

Comment from: Johnny, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I stumbled against a small cupboard and fell with my left arm against the wall. During the impact my left shoulder popped out of the joint. Got horrendous pains. Only two hours later at the hospital they reduced the dislocation. Now two weeks later I still have pains around the joint.

Comment from: ampga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Playing volleyball on the Playstation Move system. (Yes, seriously.) I was going to spike the ball and as I swung down my shoulder just came out. Excruciating pain!! First time anything like that ever happened to me. Fortunately it popped back in place within a few minutes. Hoping aches and pains heal soon.

Comment from: tyasmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I slipped in the snow and landed on my side, my age is 68. I went to emergency and was taken care of quickly and painless, got drugs, came home in a sling very much wiser for winter weather. Given Lenoltec #3 for pain.

Comment from: blabber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was in a car accident 25 years ago and was thrown into the back seat and hit our son's car seat with my left shoulder resulting my dislocation. I went to the E.R. they placed my arm into a sling. It still to this day will pop out of joint on occasion. It's getting a little harder to put back into place.

Dislocated Shoulder - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of a dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Treatment Question: What was the treatment or therapy for your dislocated shoulder?
Dislocated Shoulder - Complications Question: What were the complications related to your shoulder dislocation?