PRESCRIBED FOR: Diltiazem is used for treating heart pain (angina), high blood pressure, and abnormal heart rhythms such as atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter and paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia.
SIDE EFFECTS: Side effects include:
- edema (swelling of the legs and feet with fluid),
- low blood pressure (hypotension),
- drowsiness, and
Liver dysfunction and overgrowth of the gums also may occur. Diltiazem can cause mildly abnormal liver tests that usually return to normal with discontinuation of the medication. When diltiazem is given to individuals with heart failure, symptoms of heart failure may worsen because these drugs reduce the ability of the heart to pump blood. Like other drugs for high blood pressure, diltiazem is associated with sexual dysfunction.
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Tablets (immediate release): 30, 60, 90, and 120 mg.
- Tablets (extended release): 120, 180, 240, 300, 360, 420 mg.
- Capsules (extended release): 120, 180, 240, 300, 360, 420 mg.
- Powder for injection: 100 mg.
- Injectable Solution: 5 mg/ml.
Quick GuideLowering Blood Pressure Pictures Slideshow: Exercise Tips for Getting Started
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.