Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: Kirsty178, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Shortly after I had my 12 week scan I was told my embryo had no heart beat and I would need a D&C. A few days before I was booked in, my body tried to do it naturally. It was awful. I felt like I was in labor. The following night, after not being able to tolerate the pain any more I took myself off to emergency. My water broke in the bathroom and they couldn"t stop the bleeding. I was rushed up for a D&C and an injection into my cervix to stop the bleeding. After the operation all my pain was gone, no pain killers required. I was just left with cystitis from not being able to drink water before and after my operation. I was told the embryo was embedded in my uterus and that"s why it was so painful. I was told I endured the pain of labor, only in a much shorter space of time. I would totally do it again if I needed to.

Comment from: DoNothaveD&C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I miscarried at 8 weeks, and my female doctor said I needed a D and C surgery to get the contents out of my womb. Well, this was the worst mistake of my life, and now it has lessened my periods, and I probably will never have my own child. Do not have a D and C, opt for medications! Good luck.

Comment from: cjb57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 56 year old woman. I went through menopause 5 years ago. I started bleeding in October 2013. I have had a biopsy, transvaginal ultrasound, and a D&C in January of this year. The doctor said the tissue she removed showed I had simple hyperplasia without atypia (No cancer was found). I was put on progesterone. I am still bleeding and have very bad cramps. I feel bloated all the time.

Comment from: LS455, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 34 and have been trying to conceive for three years now. I had hysteroscopy and D & C two weeks ago for possible endometrial hyperplasia. Although there was no hyperplasia, I still had to have the D & C to remove several small polyps. I also had laparoscopy to diagnose/treat stage 3 endometriosis. I can tell you, the recovery for both procedures was not bad at all. Together, the surgeries took about an hour and a half total.

Comment from: fedupgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I'm a 54 year old with heavy, prolonged periods. Upon intervaginal ultrasound, it was discovered I have .15mm thick uterus. D&C is scheduled for tomorrow and I'm freaking out! I am scared about pain, after effects, continual bleeding, etc. Ultimate destination is full hysterectomy because I want no part of being "a girl" anymore.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I'm a 52 year old female. I am a breast cancer survivor for 2 years, on 20 mg Tamoxifen daily. Went for my annual exam last week and as expected my gynecologist ordered an intra-vaginal ultrasound because a side effect of Tamoxifen is uterine cancer. The ultrasound yesterday shows that my uterine wall is thickened, so I am scheduled for a D&C on December 5, 2013. Assuming, since the gynecologist said it is not urgent, that she does not suspect cancer, but is simply being cautious. Like anyone undergoing a procedure for the first time, I am worried about pain. I have not had a period in 2 years, so not looking forward to the bleeding. I have not missed that at all.

Comment from: not a mommy yet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a D&C with suction after a miscarriage very early in the pregnancy. I was about 5 weeks along and there was no heartbeat. It was a very simple procedure for me with no side-effects. This was my first try at getting pregnant. I read all the horror stories about this and was relieved that my procedure was pain free and uneventful. I was asleep for the procedure and when I woke up I took one 600mg Motrin, ate some crackers, went to the bathroom and was sent home.

Comment from: Suburban girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

The reason I had a D&C is because of bleeding for over 30 days. My doctor noted I had fibroids but could not determine why I continued to bleed. She prescribed hormones to help control the bleeding. The hormones did not help and I continued to bleed. Next step was a D&C and I remember being seen by admitting nurse, next a nurse started my IV, the anesthesiologist came to explain what she was going to do and explained side effects, and asked if I was allergic to anything. My doctor came by and the next I was being wheeled into OR and I woke up in recovery. No pain afterwards, slight cramps a couple days later, bleeding slowed and eventually stopped.

Dilation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.