Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: Mrsrobinson08, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Two years ago I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia (Ida) due to very heavy cycles. I have been able to control it pretty well with iron supplements (hemoglobin resting around 11 TO 13), well up until recently. My last cycle started out with a bang for 2 days, then strangely stopped for 2 days then exploded for 14 days passing huge clots 3 to 4 times an hour. So much to the point that I had to call in from work all of last week. I was really feeling it, tired, super short of breath, pale as heck. I couldn't even take a shower standing up and was nervous to drive (which I didn't). Monday to Wednesday my hubby stayed home with me, thankfully. I am too stubborn for my own good and didn't want to go the emergency room (ER). Tuesday, he finally had enough and took me to the ER. My heart rate was racing, spiking into the 180s with very simple position changes in the bed. On February 20, my hemoglobin was 13.1, last Tuesday (3/7) it was 7.3. I had lost almost half of my blood volume. I had to have 2 units of pack red blood cell transfusion and was rushed for an emergency D and C. My endometrial lining was 1.7 cm (after bleeding for 14 days) and I had a polyp. There were a few follicles and a functional cyst, in my ovaries but otherwise normal. Post operation, I stopped bleeding for a few days and over the weekend started to spot a little. I only experienced very minimal pain, more like little cramps, so very glad that I can start rebuilding my hemoglobin instead of losing it. It will take a while to totally rebuild it, but excited for when that happens.

Comment from: Fatih11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am 51 and I had a D and C yesterday. I have hyperplasia and I have been bleeding irregularly for a long time. I have not gone through menopause yet. I was also opting for an ablation but the doctor discovered I have a heart shaped uterus which takes the ablation off the table. I was given progesterone for the excess bleeding a few months ago and it has worked. As for the D and C recovery, it has been a breeze. Slight cramping 2nd day in and minimal discharge.

Comment from: Cheryl R, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had extremely heavy peri-menopausal bleeding, resulting in anemia, which finally stopped but then I was continually spotting for 6 months. The gynecologist determined I had a large fibroid during an ultrasound and I had the D and C/hysteroscopy to remove the fibroid. I had the procedure 3 days ago and feel fine except for periodic light cramps and tiredness.

Comment from: reneema, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

The doctor ordered my D and C because I have several small fibroid for the past 18 years, and I am 50 years old and my uterus lining is too thick for my age. After D and C the doctor says she will go on and give me a full hysterectomy.

Comment from: tconstantine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a D&C 17 years ago due to a blighted ovum or type of miscarriage. I do not really remember it, only that they put me to sleep, which I hate, and I had some cramps after. Now I am 49 and have always had normal periods until now. I have been bleeding pretty heavily for 3 weeks and the doctors say I need a D&C again. But wondering if I really need to do it since this article says D&Cs are on the decline because there are easier ways.

Comment from: Echo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

Two years ago I was diagnosed with three astrocytoma stage three brain tumors. After radiation and chemotherapy doctors found that one tumor had dispersed into nothingness and that the other two wrapped around my thalamus seemed to have stopped growing. Now doctors have pronounced my tumors stage two and in a kind of stasis. One said, 'We can't tell if they're active anymore, let alone if they are really there.' I don't know what that meant, I never received a very good explanation. The oncologist surgeon I see, who is unable to perform surgery on me (the tumors, he says, are unapproachable) urged me to live life to its fullest, keep taking Keppra and suggested that I should even start driving an automobile again, no matter what. His message, I think, was not to waste time wondering where things are going. I have to write it, even though I may sound like an ignorant fool, but I feel generally confounded to irritation, and I have no idea where I am with this or where it's going.

Dilation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.