Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had a D&C procedure because I miscarried my baby. I was 7w5d when I had the procedure. I wasn't sedated; however, I was given Valium. The procedure was done in my OB/GYN's office and I went home after. I had painful cramps and back pain with some spotting for several days after the procedure. It was also extremely painful, so if you have the option to be sedated in an OR, that is the better option. I followed up with my PCP and discussed the D&C with her. She said, "Oh no. It hurts like hell. You should have requested sedation." Best of luck to anyone who has to endure this.

Comment from: bgaylz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I went into the hospital thinking I was going to have the NovaSure procedure, but my doctor give me a D&C. I had been bleeding twice every two weeks, but since the surgery I had one period, but there after I have not had a period.

Comment from: SusanMarina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My doctor is recommending a D&C because my cervix is so tightly sealed, she is unable to obtain endometrial tissue for biopsy in the office without fear of hurting me beyond a cramp or two; she attempted the endometrial biopsy because my pap smear came back with an unusually high amount of endometrial cells.

Comment from: shamrocks18, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My doctor ordered a D&C because I have been bleeding for 8 weeks and I have had an abnormal pap smear and an abnormal ultrasound and I also have cancer in my genes.

Comment from: crying, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am scheduled for a D&C tomorrow to remove my baby. I went in for my ultrasound yesterday and found out the heart stopped beating. My body still thinks I am pregnant so they called it a missed miscarriage. I am devastated. When does this awful sad feeling go away?

Comment from: concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

D&C was ordered by my doctor because the lining of my uterus was unusually thick. At my age the lining should be thinner.

Dialation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.