Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: Babypie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I received my d and c because my baby died at 6 1/2 weeks and my body wasn't expelling it naturally.

Comment from: triathelete, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am post-menopausal and experienced some bleeding. My doctor took tissue samples and ordered a sonogram. After the tissue was analyzed, my doctor prescribed an oral medication (progesterone) to promote shedding of the tissue. A subsequent sonogram indicated more thickening of the uterine tissue (9 centimeters) than my doctor expected, so my doctor decided to do the D and C rather than wait 3 months for the medication to run its course.

Comment from: shari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My doctor wants to do a D&C because of fibroids in my uterus. She wants to do three other procedures, diag laparo separate proc, hysteroscopy biopsy, and a hysteroscopy ablation. I have a cyst on my left ovary and a prolapsed bladder. I read about scraping and removing the uterine lining after this you can't get pregnant.

Comment from: tara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have just recently had a D&C done because of very heavy bleeding for the past 2 years. I was so bad with clots that I had no energy. I later found out that I had polyps and they thought that was what was causing my bleeding. It was my first surgery and I was very nervous. Everything went well and all I have experienced is cramping just like having my period but no more blood clots.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had a D&C procedure because I miscarried my baby. I was 7w5d when I had the procedure. I wasn't sedated; however, I was given Valium. The procedure was done in my OB/GYN's office and I went home after. I had painful cramps and back pain with some spotting for several days after the procedure. It was also extremely painful, so if you have the option to be sedated in an OR, that is the better option. I followed up with my PCP and discussed the D&C with her. She said, "Oh no. It hurts like hell. You should have requested sedation." Best of luck to anyone who has to endure this.

Comment from: bgaylz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I went into the hospital thinking I was going to have the NovaSure procedure, but my doctor give me a D&C. I had been bleeding twice every two weeks, but since the surgery I had one period, but there after I have not had a period.

Comment from: SusanMarina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My doctor is recommending a D&C because my cervix is so tightly sealed, she is unable to obtain endometrial tissue for biopsy in the office without fear of hurting me beyond a cramp or two; she attempted the endometrial biopsy because my pap smear came back with an unusually high amount of endometrial cells.

Comment from: shamrocks18, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My doctor ordered a D&C because I have been bleeding for 8 weeks and I have had an abnormal pap smear and an abnormal ultrasound and I also have cancer in my genes.

Comment from: crying, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am scheduled for a D&C tomorrow to remove my baby. I went in for my ultrasound yesterday and found out the heart stopped beating. My body still thinks I am pregnant so they called it a missed miscarriage. I am devastated. When does this awful sad feeling go away?

Comment from: concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

D&C was ordered by my doctor because the lining of my uterus was unusually thick. At my age the lining should be thinner.

Dilation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.