Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: Jackie, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a DNC done because I was having abnormal bleeding. I also had a multiloculated 5cm cyst removed at the same time. I have very little pain and things seem good so far. Hopefully, this will take care of the abnormal bleeding.

Comment from: Rani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I started bleeding heavily and irregularly 5 months ago. I thought it might be perimenopause as I am 44 years old. I kept bleeding on and off, and had bouts of heavy bleeding with lots of clots. My ob/gyn ordered a transvaginal ultrasound from which an endometrial fibroid was diagnosed. I began feeling extremely tired and finally landed in the ER with a hemoglobin count of 6.9 and extremely low iron. I ended up in the hospital for one week, during which I received a blood transfusion (4 units) and iron intravenously. I did have a hysteroscopic myomectomy at which time the ob/gyn also performed a D&C to get samples of the endometrium and to help alleviate my heavy bleeding.

Comment from: suetbandit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

At 49 years of age, after not having a period for 9 months and thinking I was in menopause, I started bleeding extremely heavily. This went on for 7 weeks. After 2 trips to the E.R., a uterine biopsy (neg) and 2 ultrasounds showing my endometrial lining at 21 and 19, I had a D & C yesterday. The worst part for me is the sore throat from the anesthesia, but it feels like heaven to have the cramping and heavy bleeding gone! I love my doctor!!

Comment from: BrokenHearted, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I will have a DNC tomorrow because I miscarried at 6 weeks and my body isn't naturally taking care of it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 63 years old. I have gone through menopause. For about l0 years I have had scanty to regular periods with migraine headaches. Doctors became concerned a few wk ago. I had an ultra sound showing the lining of uterus at 15. Normal is about 5-6 - 2 biopsy taken came out clean as same with pap test. However obgyn doctor insists there is about a 25% chance I have cancer. Going tomorrow for D&C.

Comment from: Jomy , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My doctor suggested D&C because I had continuous bleeding for more than 40 days after my second child. The ultra sound scan showed a bulky uterus and a thick endometriosis.

Comment from: Babypie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I received my d and c because my baby died at 6 1/2 weeks and my body wasn't expelling it naturally.

Comment from: triathelete, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am post-menopausal and experienced some bleeding. My doctor took tissue samples and ordered a sonogram. After the tissue was analyzed, my doctor prescribed an oral medication (progesterone) to promote shedding of the tissue. A subsequent sonogram indicated more thickening of the uterine tissue (9 centimeters) than my doctor expected, so my doctor decided to do the D and C rather than wait 3 months for the medication to run its course.

Comment from: shari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My doctor wants to do a D&C because of fibroids in my uterus. She wants to do three other procedures, diag laparo separate proc, hysteroscopy biopsy, and a hysteroscopy ablation. I have a cyst on my left ovary and a prolapsed bladder. I read about scraping and removing the uterine lining after this you can't get pregnant.

Comment from: tara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I have just recently had a D&C done because of very heavy bleeding for the past 2 years. I was so bad with clots that I had no energy. I later found out that I had polyps and they thought that was what was causing my bleeding. It was my first surgery and I was very nervous. Everything went well and all I have experienced is cramping just like having my period but no more blood clots.

Dilation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.