Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had bleeding for more than 90 days, with a history of miscarriages and uterine scarring from sexual assault. I cannot be put on hormone therapy as it nearly killed me last time I was on it--my body went septic. So, it's been a week. Hope it all works out.

Comment from: ladylee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Two weeks after having a baby my symptoms were abdominal pain. The first day consisted of abdominal pain with light diarrhea. Then I was constipated all night. After that came the nausea with chills. I couldn't walk due to the pain and when I did walk I felt like I needed to go to the restroom. So I went to the ER because I thought I pulled something in my stomach. The doctors determined through an ultrasound that I had a blood clot and tissue from the placenta still remained in my uterus. So they gave me two options taking medication for a few days to have your stomach contract to get the tissue out or undergoing the D&C procedure. I just wanted to get it done and over with so I chose the D&C procedure.

Comment from: carmapic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My doctor ordered a D&C to remove my IUD that I have had in place for four years. I went in yesterday to get it removed, and she could not remove it. She did a vaginal ultrasound and an above-stomach ultrasound to find it. It was way in my uterus, so they have to do a D&C to help remove it. If that doesn't work, then I will have to go to surgery to remove it.

Comment from: jess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had a C-section about six weeks ago. Bleeding became very heavy. Then I went for an ultra sound, and the doctor said the placenta was left in. He had no idea why or how it happened and now I have to have a D&C.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I chose to have a D&C because I found out that my baby had died at 9 weeks when I went in for my 12-week checkup, but my body continued to think it was pregnant, so I couldn't miscarry naturally.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

I was having my menstrual flow twice in most months. The doctor ordered a USG and a pap smear at first. Upon seeing the USG report, she told that the endometrium was thick and ordered a pre-menstrual D&C.

Comment from: Chicago Lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My D&C was performed because I have abnormally heavy bleeding with my periods. I have to change every hour to 1 1/2 hours to try a keep ahead of it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My periods were getting longer and longer in duration, up to two weeks. My doctor did an internal ultrasound and discovered that I had polyps and then ordered a D&C. I did not have any pain or cramps after the procedure and had moderate bleeding trailing off after two weeks. The worst part was the sore throat from the breathing tube. It lasted for three days. But I'll take the sore throat over nausea from the anesthesia any day.

Comment from: merrymolly, Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I am a breast cancer survivor (no evidence of disease since I finished treatments eight years ago). I took tamoxifen and have shown to have thickening of the endometrial wall. An endometrial biopsy was performed and pathology of some wall cell tissue and polyp tissue was negative. However, the OB/GYN said she could not be positive that all of the polyp tissue was free from any aberration, and thus the D&C was suggested. I shall follow through, even though I think that the results will be the same as the recent pathology of tissue from the endometrium.

Comment from: First Time, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I recently had a D&C done, and since this was my first time in the hospital for any type of surgery, I was scared to death. Mostly of being put to sleep. I was out so fast I didn't know I had been out until I was woke and told they were through. I had no pain after it was over or after I got home. The reason for the surgery, I had been bleeding for about 2 years and after the biopsy was done in the doctor's office, he still did know why I was bleeding so I had the D&C done.

Dilation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.