Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I chose to have a D&C because I found out that my baby had died at 9 weeks when I went in for my 12-week checkup, but my body continued to think it was pregnant, so I couldn't miscarry naturally.

Comment from: Rachel, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

I was having my menstrual flow twice in most months. The doctor ordered a USG and a pap smear at first. Upon seeing the USG report, she told that the endometrium was thick and ordered a pre-menstrual D&C.

Comment from: Chicago Lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

My D&C was performed because I have abnormally heavy bleeding with my periods. I have to change every hour to 1 1/2 hours to try a keep ahead of it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My periods were getting longer and longer in duration, up to two weeks. My doctor did an internal ultrasound and discovered that I had polyps and then ordered a D&C. I did not have any pain or cramps after the procedure and had moderate bleeding trailing off after two weeks. The worst part was the sore throat from the breathing tube. It lasted for three days. But I'll take the sore throat over nausea from the anesthesia any day.

Comment from: merrymolly, Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I am a breast cancer survivor (no evidence of disease since I finished treatments eight years ago). I took tamoxifen and have shown to have thickening of the endometrial wall. An endometrial biopsy was performed and pathology of some wall cell tissue and polyp tissue was negative. However, the OB/GYN said she could not be positive that all of the polyp tissue was free from any aberration, and thus the D&C was suggested. I shall follow through, even though I think that the results will be the same as the recent pathology of tissue from the endometrium.

Comment from: First Time, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I recently had a D&C done, and since this was my first time in the hospital for any type of surgery, I was scared to death. Mostly of being put to sleep. I was out so fast I didn't know I had been out until I was woke and told they were through. I had no pain after it was over or after I got home. The reason for the surgery, I had been bleeding for about 2 years and after the biopsy was done in the doctor's office, he still did know why I was bleeding so I had the D&C done.

Comment from: redneckmama89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I'm receiving a D and C because at 14 weeks I went in for an ultrasound and discovered that I have a Deviated Ovum. I am absolutely terrified but after reading this I feel a little at ease that at least I know what will happen.

Comment from: Nilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have been bleeding for over a month and I also have 4 prior C-sections. The Dr. said this should stop the bleeding. He did the biopsy in his office, but the D&C will be at the hospital. I know with the scar tissue, I'm at risk, but I believe it will all be okay. I appreciate the truthfulness of this website. It let me know all the information before and after.

Comment from: Beverly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I am 73 and have been having frequent urination and difficult bm's. I start to notice blood spots on my underwear and went in for a checkup. The doctor was unable to enter the uterus due to swelling so I am scheduled for a d&c. I will be glad to have this procedure done so I can deal with the uterus in case it is cancer. My overall health is very good although I am over weight and have post polio syndrome.

Comment from: nanthony, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had retained placental fragments following the delivery of my 3rd child. I went in for a D and C, and 5 minutes after being discharged from the PACU, I started hemorrhaging, and ended up having to be admitted into the hospital to control the bleeding (with medication.) Now I am walking on egg shells hoping it doesn't happen again!

Dilation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.