Patient Comments: Dilation and Curettage (D&C) - Treatments

Question:Why did your doctor order your D&C?

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: February 13

I had to have a d & c while suffering a miscarriage, as I was bleeding heavily and the placenta was still in place in my uterus after losing the baby. It was a terrible experience and I'm still traumatized by it over a year later. I'm currently working with a bio-energy doctor who believes that my current back pain is related to my body remembering the trauma it experienced a year ago. He also thinks that my uterus may have some scarring on it from the d & c. My husband and I have a healthy and happy 2 year old and are hoping for another child, so I'm trusting the universe to help heal both old physical and emotional scars. I hope this message helps others who may be experiencing something similar.

Comment from: FM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am a 55 year old woman who had postmenopausal bleeding. My normal periods stopped in January 2010 when I was age 53. I am a nurse, the mother of five young adults, and am obese. I sought care when I had a few days of light to moderate bleeding in August 2011. I know that it is best to have a physician check out any postmenopausal bleeding, although quite often the cause is not life-threatening. My vaginal ultrasound showed thickening of the endometrium, so my doctor felt a D and C with hysteroscopy was the best next step to see what we're dealing with.

Comment from: kittenluvscandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had cryosurgery two weeks ago after having three abnormal pap smears. I had precancerous cells on my cervix. He treated that with the cryosurgery, and yesterday I had my first follow-up. Upon examination, he discovered my cervix had closed tightly, and he tried using a dilator to open it, which was very painful. He could not open it with that instrument, and because I am having a period, the blood flow is blocked. So, my doctor ordered a D & C this Monday morning at the hospital. I have had two surgeries in the past, and after talking to the nurse about it, it still makes me nervous.

Comment from: Megara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a diagnostic D&C along with a hysteroscopic fibroid removal about a week ago. The bleeding is so much worse than I imagined! Clots, cramps, the constant feeling of being unclean because I can't use tampons. The worst part is that it stops for a lengthy period of time and then returns in full force. Just when I think I'm done, more blood.

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had bleeding for more than 90 days, with a history of miscarriages and uterine scarring from sexual assault. I cannot be put on hormone therapy as it nearly killed me last time I was on it--my body went septic. So, it's been a week. Hope it all works out.

Comment from: ladylee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Two weeks after having a baby my symptoms were abdominal pain. The first day consisted of abdominal pain with light diarrhea. Then I was constipated all night. After that came the nausea with chills. I couldn't walk due to the pain and when I did walk I felt like I needed to go to the restroom. So I went to the ER because I thought I pulled something in my stomach. The doctors determined through an ultrasound that I had a blood clot and tissue from the placenta still remained in my uterus. So they gave me two options taking medication for a few days to have your stomach contract to get the tissue out or undergoing the D&C procedure. I just wanted to get it done and over with so I chose the D&C procedure.

Comment from: carmapic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My doctor ordered a D&C to remove my IUD that I have had in place for four years. I went in yesterday to get it removed, and she could not remove it. She did a vaginal ultrasound and an above-stomach ultrasound to find it. It was way in my uterus, so they have to do a D&C to help remove it. If that doesn't work, then I will have to go to surgery to remove it.

Comment from: jess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had a C-section about six weeks ago. Bleeding became very heavy. Then I went for an ultra sound, and the doctor said the placenta was left in. He had no idea why or how it happened and now I have to have a D&C.

Dilation and Cutterage - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications from a D and C procedure? Please explain your experience.