Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: JDK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was found to have collagenous colitis, after 2 colonoscopies and a CT scan. Entocort and Apriso work, but you can only take them for 8 weeks. They are great while taking but within a week the diarrhea returns.

Comment from: bumblebeegees, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had chronic diarrhea for years. It's almost constant, and usually starts after I eat. I went to a specialist and had a colonoscopy. He told me he was going to give me something to take care of this problem. He prescribed cholestyramine powder, one scoop mixed with a liquid of your choice every day. It works really well but you will have to skip it if you get constipated and you probably will start again once the diarrhea starts again. No cure, but very good treatment and relief. I think it's the same thing as Questran, which is a cholesterol medication, but it really works for diarrhea too.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

When my young son had diarrhea the pharmacist said to eat a banana and sure enough it worked. I have tried this also and it does work! Peanut butter seems to do the trick also.

Comment from: Sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I have terrible diarrhea. I take tincture of opium (prescription). It is a narcotic, which freezes the gut and thus stops the diarrhea. However, opium does not address the underlying cause of the diarrhea. I'm still working on that. I believe I have a bacterial overgrowth or yeast infection. I am working with a doctor to address that.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I was taking Imodium by the bushels. I never knew when the diarrhea would hit me. I was miserable and depressed. My doctor prescribed Opium Tin 10%, and finally I am able to go about life without the constant worries associated with this horrible uncontrolled diarrhea. I take 1-4 drops in 4 ounces of warm water as needed. I am so happy! I hope this helps somebody. My doctor also told me how many people suffer in silence because they think it only happens to them. So, I'm hoping to get the word out that there's help, and you're not alone!

Comment from: Pamela, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I want to make patients or doctors aware of my issues in case it applies to someone else and can help since having chronic bathroom issues can be so destructive to your everyday life. I had thoracic aneurysm surgery with a stent about two months ago. I have never had less gas, less diarrhea and more normal bowel movements in years! I don't know why; maybe a doctor can answer this.

Comment from: DebyP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had diarrhea for 3 months now, and gone through all the blood and fecal tests. This Friday I'm having an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and a colonoscopy. I lost about 15 lb. and counting. I am down to 1 meal a day, have to take the train and it is very scary not knowing how I'll feel at any time of the day. Stress really makes me even sicker than what I'm already going through. No OTC works, I hope I find something out but at this point I'm not very optimistic.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.