Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I was taking Imodium by the bushels. I never knew when the diarrhea would hit me. I was miserable and depressed. My doctor prescribed Opium Tin 10%, and finally I am able to go about life without the constant worries associated with this horrible uncontrolled diarrhea. I take 1-4 drops in 4 ounces of warm water as needed. I am so happy! I hope this helps somebody. My doctor also told me how many people suffer in silence because they think it only happens to them. So, I'm hoping to get the word out that there's help, and you're not alone!

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been struggling with diarrhea since 1995. I have visited several gastro specialists to no avail. Aside from watching my diet, I began taking 625 mg of Welchol twice a day. I now have my life back. I have regular-formed stools and no accidents before reaching a bathroom. I also take Imodium after a spell if I forgot to take a dose of the Welchol. Before Welchol, I spent most of my days in the bathroom and was always fearful of an accident when leaving home. Following a nice meal away from home was always a concern because it was almost always followed with diarrhea within 15 minutes or so. I am very, very thankful for this medicine. I hope this helps someone out there.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had diarrhea off and on as long as I can remember. It was and still is predominately triggered by emotion. The doctor gave me an open prescription for Lomotil, Imodium, which I used off and on for many years with great success. Unfortunately my condition is hereditary and worsened with age. It has been diagnosed as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and lymphocytic colitis. I also have diverticula problems. In the last 15 years this has landed me in the emergency room numerous times with cramps and diarrhea so severe that I vomit over and over. For a while I had a prescription for Toradol that worked when the problem wasn"t too severe but that also eventually stopped doing much. Oh! In the emergency rooms and hospitals they gave me Toradol and Phenergan. My gastroenterologist eventually gave me Stadol nasal spray for the severe attacks as well as a stern lecture about how addictive it can be. This and the Toradol kept me out of the emergency rooms. When I overdid it with packing and moving and with my bad back and knee and arthritis I ended up on Lortab or oxycodone. This helped with the diarrhea as well as the physical pain. As my condition worsened with time and stress became a major problem I used the Stadol more and more often and voiced my concerns to my doctor. I started seeing a gastroenterologist trying to find out if there was another way to control the diarrhea. Unfortunately no diet, no fiber, no medication works. I am now pretty much home bound and don"t really have much of a life. Most days I have diarrhea but since I am so isolated it is rarely severe.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female Published: November 15

I've suffered chronic diarrhea over 20 years. The last 3 years have been using Opium 10 percent. During my fourth colonoscopy a biopsy was taken. This in my opinion should be automatic but it isn't. Diagnosis was microscopic colitis. Was put on Entocort at $1,200 per month. Side effects were bad. I felt myself slipping mentally and physically. Then I discovered Sovereign Silver at my health food store. I now have normal BMs and a life.

Comment from: neequa713, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I been suffering from diarrhea since 2008, and since then it's been a nightmare. I tried numerous medication which one (bentyl), seem to make the diarrhea worse. The only one that works for me is Imodium. I can't go out or away places without wondering if they have a bathroom. And since I am a conductor on the railroad it's made my job hard to tolerate. I had numerous testing done (endoscopy, colonoscopy) and been to the E.R., my GI doctor, and my PC Doctor so many times I lost count. I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), after two years of testing. a year later the symptoms became more frequent with pain so one endoscopy later I was found to have bacteria in my stomach. I was treated with an antibiotic package and felt fine thereafter, and then three months later the problem started all over again. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired and stressed out. If anyone has any advice I am so open to except.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.