Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: Lrd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I suffered from extreme diarrhea as a child and now at age 61, I am still suffering. For years while I was on pain medicines for MVA (mosaic variegated aneuploidy), my gut healed. Now that I am off of those, I suffered a full 6 weeks of diarrhea with low grade temperature and lost 38 lb on my small frame. Since that time 18 months ago, I still cannot stop the diarrhea and cannot gain any weight. I am 5 ft 7inches and weigh 113 lb. Diarrhea is constant if I eat anything. If I have any vegetables or oils, or garlic, I spend the entire night in the bathroom. I cannot eat fast food or restaurant food, I live on bland foods. Even after 3 weeks of diarrhea, I went to the emergency room and they said that it was gastroenteritis and to drink fluids; which only made it worse. I was drinking only green tea at that time for over two months. I tried supplements, probiotics, Ensure, no fiber, with fiber, and nothing helps, even 18 months later. No insurance, so no doctor will see me. I am under treatment for severe hot flashes, and anxiety.

Comment from: JDK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was found to have collagenous colitis, after 2 colonoscopies and a CT scan. Entocort and Apriso work, but you can only take them for 8 weeks. They are great while taking but within a week the diarrhea returns.

Comment from: bumblebeegees, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had chronic diarrhea for years. It's almost constant, and usually starts after I eat. I went to a specialist and had a colonoscopy. He told me he was going to give me something to take care of this problem. He prescribed cholestyramine powder, one scoop mixed with a liquid of your choice every day. It works really well but you will have to skip it if you get constipated and you probably will start again once the diarrhea starts again. No cure, but very good treatment and relief. I think it's the same thing as Questran, which is a cholesterol medication, but it really works for diarrhea too.

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

When my young son had diarrhea the pharmacist said to eat a banana and sure enough it worked. I have tried this also and it does work! Peanut butter seems to do the trick also.

Comment from: Sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I have terrible diarrhea. I take tincture of opium (prescription). It is a narcotic, which freezes the gut and thus stops the diarrhea. However, opium does not address the underlying cause of the diarrhea. I'm still working on that. I believe I have a bacterial overgrowth or yeast infection. I am working with a doctor to address that.

Comment from: Pamela, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I want to make patients or doctors aware of my issues in case it applies to someone else and can help since having chronic bathroom issues can be so destructive to your everyday life. I had thoracic aneurysm surgery with a stent about two months ago. I have never had less gas, less diarrhea and more normal bowel movements in years! I don't know why; maybe a doctor can answer this.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.