Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: Buck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I got a bad case of traveler's diarrhea by drinking filtered bottled water in the Philippines. I was vomiting and had diarrhea within an hour. The older people of the village recommended eating raw guavas. I was miles from the nearest doctor but had Imodium with me. I sent a text to a doctor I knew in Manila asking which was better. The answer was to try the guavas. I ate 2 small ones. I was feeling better by 6pm and able to travel the next morning. I drank 2 bottles of Gatorade and 2 bottles of Purified filtered water. The key is purified water. Tastes like Chlorine.

Comment from: hum-tum, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I have suffered from diarrhea caused by parasitic infection for 18 years. On 'good' days I visit the bathroom 3 - 5 times. On not so good days 8 - 12 times. I have tried everything available at health food stores. Nothing has worked. Lab tests of stool come back negative. Endoscopy found nothing unusual / abnormal. Taking psyllium seems to firm up stool just a little but only for a day or two. Continued use of psillium makes no difference. Rather it seems to become a laxative, instead.

Published: October 30

I've had diarrhea for 6 months. Imodium AD works well to allow daytime control, but Imodium multi symptom is less effective. To maintain control, I had to increase my dosage of Imodium AD when I used it 7 days in a row. My family doctor could not diagnose my condition, but a specialist now says I have Giardia and has me on two prescriptions. Those who have been in a rural area or around animals and have watery diarrhea with a very sour or rotten egg smell should see a specialist. Fat is not digested and results in frothy foam. Milk is not tolerated.

Comment from: ohio man, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

19 months of diarrhea Lomotil and Questran have been tried with no relief. Symptoms disappear when on Cipro, but return as soon as I finish the course. All tests are negative. The only one they haven't tried is Carcinoid.

Comment from: (Caregiver) Published: October 09

Imodium has always worked for me.

Comment from: Jill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had diarrhea for almost 3 weeks. I had no other symptoms, besides stomach cramping. I kept thinking it would just go away. After 19 days I decided I really needed to take some action. I started taking colloidal silver. I have a small colloidal machine and was able to make it myself. The diarrhea was gone within 36 hours. I continued the colloidal silver for one week.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.