Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

The only thing that helps for my diarrhea is tinctura Opii Simplex. All of the other remedies are not effective. But now I cannot get it anymore and am looking for something else. I would like to hear your suggestions!

Comment from: hvnbnd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

With mild cases of IBS, I have used an all natural psyllium husk powder (similar to metamucil). It has helped thicken my stools and slow them down. With extreme cases, I have used immodium for about 3 days to slow down very runny stools. I also take "pepogel", a product that dissolves in the small intestine and cools them down. I really appreciated your article. It answered several questions I never thought to ask. I am now in the beginning of menopause and already know I am going to have a battle on my hands.

Comment from: lindasue05101, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Nothing makes my diarrhea better. I have been battling diarrhea for over a year 1/2 if not more. I have many accidents, day and night time. I've been on a very healthy diet fruits, veggies, grains, chicken, fish, greens...drink lots of alcohol at all. I went to a doctor a couple years ago and he told me to go on a high fiber diet, so I did. And it is not helping. I cut my milk intake down to just a drop in my milk in my coffee, I only drink 2 cups coffee a day, so I tend to think I'm lactose intolerant. I know I need to go back to the doctor and get some tests done. Thank you for letting me share. This is the first time I've done anything like this.

Comment from: ELVSAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had horrible, life interrupting diarrhea for over a year. I spend weeks at a time never leaving home because I fear an accident. Even at home I most times cannot make it the 3 feet to a bathroom. I usually end up in the shower and cleaning the floor. I was at the doctor's care for a year, had 2 colonoscopies within 3 months and got no relief from the problem. As of now I just do not leave my home for any reason.

Comment from: Mensie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

A course of antibiotics got rid of the bacterial overgrowth and the h pylori, greatly improving many symptoms. I used to appear seven months pregnant within 15 minutes eating. Diphenoxylate and hyoscyamine greatly reduced cramping, which was sometimes as bad as labor pains and reduced motility, so now I'm not afraid to leave the house. I'm not technically lactose intolerant, but found that switching to soy milk helped a great deal. Drinking Lactaid didn't work for me.

Comment from: Buck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I got a bad case of traveler's diarrhea by drinking filtered bottled water in the Philippines. I was vomiting and had diarrhea within an hour. The older people of the village recommended eating raw guavas. I was miles from the nearest doctor but had Imodium with me. I sent a text to a doctor I knew in Manila asking which was better. The answer was to try the guavas. I ate 2 small ones. I was feeling better by 6pm and able to travel the next morning. I drank 2 bottles of Gatorade and 2 bottles of Purified filtered water. The key is purified water. Tastes like Chlorine.

Comment from: hum-tum, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I have suffered from diarrhea caused by parasitic infection for 18 years. On 'good' days I visit the bathroom 3 - 5 times. On not so good days 8 - 12 times. I have tried everything available at health food stores. Nothing has worked. Lab tests of stool come back negative. Endoscopy found nothing unusual / abnormal. Taking psyllium seems to firm up stool just a little but only for a day or two. Continued use of psillium makes no difference. Rather it seems to become a laxative, instead.

Published: October 30

I've had diarrhea for 6 months. Imodium AD works well to allow daytime control, but Imodium multi symptom is less effective. To maintain control, I had to increase my dosage of Imodium AD when I used it 7 days in a row. My family doctor could not diagnose my condition, but a specialist now says I have Giardia and has me on two prescriptions. Those who have been in a rural area or around animals and have watery diarrhea with a very sour or rotten egg smell should see a specialist. Fat is not digested and results in frothy foam. Milk is not tolerated.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.