Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: Liz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Imodium capsules did help with my diarrhea, but I found changing my diet (ie cutting out white bread, spicy stuff) helped more.

Published: June 09

I have been prescribed Motofen. But it is going off the market due to not enough sales as well as the high price to make it. So I have been researching other options avail to me. I read an article about a supplement called''Acidophilus''

Comment from: Imran, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Probiotic drinks helped bring closure to my episodes of generally 48-hour long acute diarrhea (due to food). Before, I'd have lingering stomach upsets and my stool would remain watery even 2-3 days afterwards. Consuming Probiotic drinks now helps clear that up within a day of the end of the episode.

Comment from: Elshara, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I have been taking Gatorade every time I experience diarrhea and it helps slow it down. Water as well, the increase in electrolytes truly is a blessing and the energy is just a side effect. I have since included it in my health plan (diet) as a way of stopping diarrhea and a few other nasty defects.

Comment from: rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

The only thing that helps for my diarrhea is tinctura Opii Simplex. All of the other remedies are not effective. But now I cannot get it anymore and am looking for something else. I would like to hear your suggestions!

Comment from: hvnbnd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

With mild cases of IBS, I have used an all natural psyllium husk powder (similar to metamucil). It has helped thicken my stools and slow them down. With extreme cases, I have used immodium for about 3 days to slow down very runny stools. I also take "pepogel", a product that dissolves in the small intestine and cools them down. I really appreciated your article. It answered several questions I never thought to ask. I am now in the beginning of menopause and already know I am going to have a battle on my hands.

Comment from: lindasue05101, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Nothing makes my diarrhea better. I have been battling diarrhea for over a year 1/2 if not more. I have many accidents, day and night time. I've been on a very healthy diet fruits, veggies, grains, chicken, fish, greens...drink lots of water...no alcohol at all. I went to a doctor a couple years ago and he told me to go on a high fiber diet, so I did. And it is not helping. I cut my milk intake down to just a drop in my milk in my coffee, I only drink 2 cups coffee a day, so I tend to think I'm lactose intolerant. I know I need to go back to the doctor and get some tests done. Thank you for letting me share. This is the first time I've done anything like this.

Comment from: ELVSAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had horrible, life interrupting diarrhea for over a year. I spend weeks at a time never leaving home because I fear an accident. Even at home I most times cannot make it the 3 feet to a bathroom. I usually end up in the shower and cleaning the floor. I was at the doctor's care for a year, had 2 colonoscopies within 3 months and got no relief from the problem. As of now I just do not leave my home for any reason.

Comment from: Mensie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

A course of antibiotics got rid of the bacterial overgrowth and the h pylori, greatly improving many symptoms. I used to appear seven months pregnant within 15 minutes eating. Diphenoxylate and hyoscyamine greatly reduced cramping, which was sometimes as bad as labor pains and reduced motility, so now I'm not afraid to leave the house. I'm not technically lactose intolerant, but found that switching to soy milk helped a great deal. Drinking Lactaid didn't work for me.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.