Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: Martin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had colon re-section surgery and suffered from diarrhea until my doctor gave me Welchol. It is a cholesterol. It works great. I have had seven years of success.

Comment from: ram, Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I was taking Imodium by the bushels. I never knew when the diarrhea would hit me. I was miserable and depressed. My doctor prescribed Opium Tin 10%, and finally I am able to go about life without the constant worries associated with this horrible uncontrolled diarrhea. I take 1-4 drops in 4 ounces of warm water as needed. I am so happy! I hope this helps somebody. My doctor also told me how many people suffer in silence because they think it only happens to them. So, I'm hoping to get the word out that there's help, and you're not alone!

Comment from: Linda W., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I am a 62-year-old female who had congestive heart failure and am on heart meds to strengthen it, control blood pressure, potassium, and magnesium. I have had diarrhea for 10 years now. I take Imodium and fiber daily. Sometimes I don't make it to the bathroom. Nothing I've taken has helped. I was told by a doctor to take enemas of plain yogurt at room temperature to introduce the good bacteria into the intestinal system. I haven't tried it yet.

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 08

My mother recommended a natural supplement for me to take when I had diarrhea. She said she read a book about a young man who was practically dying of diarrhea for unknown reasons, despite seeing specialists all over the world. He began taking a supplement, which he then developed into a marketable tablet for others to take. As was his story, my symptoms became worse initially, though after a few days, I am back to normal! How wonderful it is not to have to run to the bathroom after every meal! The name of the supplement is "Primal Defense" by Garden of Life. It is a probiotic formula. I am not a doctor, but I am a nurse, and I can say without a doubt that this product helped to restore my normal state, along with a bland diet, lots of hydration, and plenty of yogurt containing live cultures. I hope this information helps others.

Comment from: Bratty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

This has always helped me when I have diarrhea: the BRATTY diet. It stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, tea, toast, and yogurt. The first day eat only bananas. When your stomach can tolerate the bananas, try rice -- plain white boiled or steamed. After rice, eat applesauce and so on. If symptoms reoccur, start back at the beginning. The enzymes in your body need to be rebuilt after all that trauma. I don't have a chronic condition, and I'm not in the medical field. I just know this has worked for me.

Comment from: Liz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Imodium capsules did help with my diarrhea, but I found changing my diet (ie cutting out white bread, spicy stuff) helped more.

Published: June 09

I have been prescribed Motofen. But it is going off the market due to not enough sales as well as the high price to make it. So I have been researching other options avail to me. I read an article about a supplement called''Acidophilus''

Comment from: Imran, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Probiotic drinks helped bring closure to my episodes of generally 48-hour long acute diarrhea (due to food). Before, I'd have lingering stomach upsets and my stool would remain watery even 2-3 days afterwards. Consuming Probiotic drinks now helps clear that up within a day of the end of the episode.

Comment from: Elshara, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I have been taking Gatorade every time I experience diarrhea and it helps slow it down. Water as well, the increase in electrolytes truly is a blessing and the energy is just a side effect. I have since included it in my health plan (diet) as a way of stopping diarrhea and a few other nasty defects.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.