Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: cystoqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I've suffered from chronic diarrhea for years and thought it was hormonal. Eating coconut macaroons was an effective treatment. But then I stopped chewing sugarless gum, and the diarrhea went away...permanently. Sugarless gums contain laxatives such as sorbitol!

Comment from: Hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 62 years old and have chronic pancreatitis. After suffering from chronic diarrhea for more than a month, my doctor prescribed Zantac. The symptoms disappeared overnight.

Comment from: Home Remedies, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My wife told me that they used flour mixed with Coca-Cola to harden stool, when she lived on an island where doctors and pharmacies were non-existent, in the Philippines.

Comment from: Bakerman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

For the last 2 years I've had diarrhea. It is often quite violent and I've had several public accidents. Periodically, there will be a day or 2 of normal stool but this happens only once or twice a month. The rest of the month the diarrhea limits my life outside the home. I've had a colonoscopy which was normal and an endoscopy which showed inflammation. It would appear that the diarrhea is carbohydrate related but I have not been able to pin it down. Some carbs, like cabbage and spinach will cause an extremely violent reaction within an hour. Other carbs cause a reaction but it can vary from 4 to 24 hours, which of course makes it very difficult to identify the culprit.

Comment from: toodie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

For the past year I have had diarrhea and havelost about 40lbs. I will be getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy this Monday.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I have a sensitive stomach and have recently found the product that has helped me significantly with my issues. CERA Lyte and CERA Sport are two products that are all natural, rice-based, and gluten free. These two products have not only worked well for me, but for my two children in keeping them hydrated and a perfect solution for when they both have "belly issues."

Comment from: maclair, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

10 years ago I had 80 cm of my small intestine removed because of too many scar tissues building up from previous surgeries. I was not able to eat without knowing there was a toilet nearby. Then I was on Questran which was helping for a long time. Then I decreased the amount taken and I was okay. I could not stand the feel of it in my mouth anymore. For the last year or so it started again. I had all kinds of tests taken they were all negative. In the meantime, I happened to start taking Omega 3 because it is important to have, especially as we get older. I have not taken any other medications and there is a big improvement in my condition. I don't know if it has any value or not but I am doing 95% better. I still have to watch to eat lettuce and tomatoes in small amounts only.

Comment from: Nurse, Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am a nurse and also someone who suffers from diarrhea. I am allergic to garlic and it took me awhile to discover this. So I always plan a route including McDonalds, Burger kings etc., so I would not have an accident in my pants. I remember and cringe because I left my twin 6 yo in the car while I am searching for a bathroom. Anyways, I have discovered taking fennel seeds helps. Half of a teaspoon works for me and if I really feel I may have a bacteria infection I will take a few probiotics.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.