Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: Hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 62 years old and have chronic pancreatitis. After suffering from chronic diarrhea for more than a month, my doctor prescribed Zantac. The symptoms disappeared overnight.

Comment from: maclair, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

10 years ago I had 80 cm of my small intestine removed because of too many scar tissues building up from previous surgeries. I was not able to eat without knowing there was a toilet nearby. Then I was on Questran which was helping for a long time. Then I decreased the amount taken and I was okay. I could not stand the feel of it in my mouth anymore. For the last year or so it started again. I had all kinds of tests taken they were all negative. In the meantime, I happened to start taking Omega 3 because it is important to have, especially as we get older. I have not taken any other medications and there is a big improvement in my condition. I don't know if it has any value or not but I am doing 95% better. I still have to watch to eat lettuce and tomatoes in small amounts only.

Comment from: Nurse, Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am a nurse and also someone who suffers from diarrhea. I am allergic to garlic and it took me awhile to discover this. So I always plan a route including McDonalds, Burger kings etc., so I would not have an accident in my pants. I remember and cringe because I left my twin 6 yo in the car while I am searching for a bathroom. Anyways, I have discovered taking fennel seeds helps. Half of a teaspoon works for me and if I really feel I may have a bacteria infection I will take a few probiotics.

Comment from: Martin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had colon re-section surgery and suffered from diarrhea until my doctor gave me Welchol. It is a cholesterol. It works great. I have had seven years of success.

Comment from: ram, Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I was taking Imodium by the bushels. I never knew when the diarrhea would hit me. I was miserable and depressed. My doctor prescribed Opium Tin 10%, and finally I am able to go about life without the constant worries associated with this horrible uncontrolled diarrhea. I take 1-4 drops in 4 ounces of warm water as needed. I am so happy! I hope this helps somebody. My doctor also told me how many people suffer in silence because they think it only happens to them. So, I'm hoping to get the word out that there's help, and you're not alone!

Comment from: Linda W., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I am a 62-year-old female who had congestive heart failure and am on heart meds to strengthen it, control blood pressure, potassium, and magnesium. I have had diarrhea for 10 years now. I take Imodium and fiber daily. Sometimes I don't make it to the bathroom. Nothing I've taken has helped. I was told by a doctor to take enemas of plain yogurt at room temperature to introduce the good bacteria into the intestinal system. I haven't tried it yet.

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 08

My mother recommended a natural supplement for me to take when I had diarrhea. She said she read a book about a young man who was practically dying of diarrhea for unknown reasons, despite seeing specialists all over the world. He began taking a supplement, which he then developed into a marketable tablet for others to take. As was his story, my symptoms became worse initially, though after a few days, I am back to normal! How wonderful it is not to have to run to the bathroom after every meal! The name of the supplement is "Primal Defense" by Garden of Life. It is a probiotic formula. I am not a doctor, but I am a nurse, and I can say without a doubt that this product helped to restore my normal state, along with a bland diet, lots of hydration, and plenty of yogurt containing live cultures. I hope this information helps others.

Comment from: Bratty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

This has always helped me when I have diarrhea: the BRATTY diet. It stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, tea, toast, and yogurt. The first day eat only bananas. When your stomach can tolerate the bananas, try rice -- plain white boiled or steamed. After rice, eat applesauce and so on. If symptoms reoccur, start back at the beginning. The enzymes in your body need to be rebuilt after all that trauma. I don't have a chronic condition, and I'm not in the medical field. I just know this has worked for me.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.