Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: Home Remedies, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My wife told me that they used flour mixed with Coca-Cola to harden stool, when she lived on an island where doctors and pharmacies were non-existent, in the Philippines.

Comment from: Bakerman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

For the last 2 years I've had diarrhea. It is often quite violent and I've had several public accidents. Periodically, there will be a day or 2 of normal stool but this happens only once or twice a month. The rest of the month the diarrhea limits my life outside the home. I've had a colonoscopy which was normal and an endoscopy which showed inflammation. It would appear that the diarrhea is carbohydrate related but I have not been able to pin it down. Some carbs, like cabbage and spinach will cause an extremely violent reaction within an hour. Other carbs cause a reaction but it can vary from 4 to 24 hours, which of course makes it very difficult to identify the culprit.

Comment from: toodie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

For the past year I have had diarrhea and havelost about 40lbs. I will be getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy this Monday.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I have a sensitive stomach and have recently found the product that has helped me significantly with my issues. CERA Lyte and CERA Sport are two products that are all natural, rice-based, and gluten free. These two products have not only worked well for me, but for my two children in keeping them hydrated and a perfect solution for when they both have "belly issues."

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

I couldn't even eat out because of diarrhea. Every time I would, I could barely make it to the bathroom on time on the way home. Someone suggested taking Fiber-Con so I did. I was not getting enough fiber and this helped me so much that I told this to my sister-in-law who was struggling with the same problem. Ever since then, neither one of us have had this constant problem. It feels good to be able to eat out with my friends and also eat a rich meal at home without the irritability and worrying about getting to the bathroom on time.

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been prescribed cholestyramine for my severe diarrhea. It is a medicine primarily used for high cholesterol, but it has a secondary effect of controlling diarrhea. Dosage can be upped as required, and you have the advantage of controlling your cholesterol at the same time. I gave some to a friend with this problem, and she had her own doctor prescribe it for her and does not leave home without using it.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I picked up Guardia when I ate at a well known breakfast restaurant. Although I was treated very quickly and thoroughly, it was such a severe infection that I was left with Irritable Bowel Syndrome - diarrhea, no constipation. Imodium did not begin to touch it. My gastroenterologist finally put me on 10% Tincture of Opium (a very old medicine for chronic diarrhea) 10 drops every 6 hours whenever I had diarrhea. In a very short time I was able to cut down to 10 drops per day. It tastes terrible, but I put it in a little water and then swallow plain water to get the taste out of my mouth. I put up with the taste because it helps. I have tried fiber supplements, but they only add to my diarrhea. I respectfully suggest that people who still have no relief from their diarrhea talk with their physicians about using 10% Tincture of Opium. It works.

Comment from: cystoqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I've suffered from chronic diarrhea for years and thought it was hormonal. Eating coconut macaroons was an effective treatment. But then I stopped chewing sugarless gum, and the diarrhea went away...permanently. Sugarless gums contain laxatives such as sorbitol!

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.