Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had diarrhea off and on as long as I can remember. It was and still is predominately triggered by emotion. The doctor gave me an open prescription for Lomotil, Imodium, which I used off and on for many years with great success. Unfortunately my condition is hereditary and worsened with age. It has been diagnosed as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and lymphocytic colitis. I also have diverticula problems. In the last 15 years this has landed me in the emergency room numerous times with cramps and diarrhea so severe that I vomit over and over. For a while I had a prescription for Toradol that worked when the problem wasn"t too severe but that also eventually stopped doing much. Oh! In the emergency rooms and hospitals they gave me Toradol and Phenergan. My gastroenterologist eventually gave me Stadol nasal spray for the severe attacks as well as a stern lecture about how addictive it can be. This and the Toradol kept me out of the emergency rooms. When I overdid it with packing and moving and with my bad back and knee and arthritis I ended up on Lortab or oxycodone. This helped with the diarrhea as well as the physical pain. As my condition worsened with time and stress became a major problem I used the Stadol more and more often and voiced my concerns to my doctor. I started seeing a gastroenterologist trying to find out if there was another way to control the diarrhea. Unfortunately no diet, no fiber, no medication works. I am now pretty much home bound and don"t really have much of a life. Most days I have diarrhea but since I am so isolated it is rarely severe.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female Published: November 15

I've suffered chronic diarrhea over 20 years. The last 3 years have been using Opium 10 percent. During my fourth colonoscopy a biopsy was taken. This in my opinion should be automatic but it isn't. Diagnosis was microscopic colitis. Was put on Entocort at $1,200 per month. Side effects were bad. I felt myself slipping mentally and physically. Then I discovered Sovereign Silver at my health food store. I now have normal BMs and a life.

Comment from: neequa713, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I been suffering from diarrhea since 2008, and since then it's been a nightmare. I tried numerous medication which one (bentyl), seem to make the diarrhea worse. The only one that works for me is Imodium. I can't go out or away places without wondering if they have a bathroom. And since I am a conductor on the railroad it's made my job hard to tolerate. I had numerous testing done (endoscopy, colonoscopy) and been to the E.R., my GI doctor, and my PC Doctor so many times I lost count. I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), after two years of testing. a year later the symptoms became more frequent with pain so one endoscopy later I was found to have bacteria in my stomach. I was treated with an antibiotic package and felt fine thereafter, and then three months later the problem started all over again. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired and stressed out. If anyone has any advice I am so open to except.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

I couldn't even eat out because of diarrhea. Every time I would, I could barely make it to the bathroom on time on the way home. Someone suggested taking Fiber-Con so I did. I was not getting enough fiber and this helped me so much that I told this to my sister-in-law who was struggling with the same problem. Ever since then, neither one of us have had this constant problem. It feels good to be able to eat out with my friends and also eat a rich meal at home without the irritability and worrying about getting to the bathroom on time.

Comment from: Sally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been prescribed cholestyramine for my severe diarrhea. It is a medicine primarily used for high cholesterol, but it has a secondary effect of controlling diarrhea. Dosage can be upped as required, and you have the advantage of controlling your cholesterol at the same time. I gave some to a friend with this problem, and she had her own doctor prescribe it for her and does not leave home without using it.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I picked up Guardia when I ate at a well known breakfast restaurant. Although I was treated very quickly and thoroughly, it was such a severe infection that I was left with Irritable Bowel Syndrome - diarrhea, no constipation. Imodium did not begin to touch it. My gastroenterologist finally put me on 10% Tincture of Opium (a very old medicine for chronic diarrhea) 10 drops every 6 hours whenever I had diarrhea. In a very short time I was able to cut down to 10 drops per day. It tastes terrible, but I put it in a little water and then swallow plain water to get the taste out of my mouth. I put up with the taste because it helps. I have tried fiber supplements, but they only add to my diarrhea. I respectfully suggest that people who still have no relief from their diarrhea talk with their physicians about using 10% Tincture of Opium. It works.

Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.