Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had chronic diarrhea for a year. No pain, no blood, just never ending diarrhea. I had a colonoscopy, tested for infection, parasites and still nothing. But I think I've cured it. I fasted for 2 days and the first day, I used a mild liquid laxative to make sure the continual liquids cleaned things out. On the third day, my first meal was a breakfast of homemade sauerkraut. Reseeding my bowel with healthy probiotics, you know. And I've started my days (four so far) with a breakfast of sauerkraut. Today I had my first normal bowel movement! So far, so good and I intend to continue with making my own fermented sauerkraut and having some each day. Apparently it gives you better probiotics than taking a pill.

Comment from: Doug, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had chronic diarrhea for a year and tried every over the counter medicines, but they had no effect. My doctor put me on a bile acid sequestrant (Welchol) and I have never had diarrhea and cramps since. I hope this helps some of you.

Comment from: Miserable, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I go for up to 4 days without going to the bathroom and then without warning I get started with normal bowel movement and it quickly goes to more loose each time they move, up to 2 to 4 times, and the nausea starts. I take Pepto-Bismol until the nausea somewhat subsides. It can last up to a day or more and then I can start eating and the process starts all over again. I need some help here. I have had upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and a colonoscopy about 5 years ago. I still have no diagnosis.

Comment from: skme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

After giving birth to my child at age 21, I had diarrhea, not constipation. While in the hospital I was too embarrassed to tell them that instead of being constipated, I had frequent watery stool. I lived with this for a year hiding and taking Imodium as needed. I was diagnosed with C-difficile a year later after I had an uncontrolled bowel movement in the car, went home and couldn't leave the toilet, I was having diarrhea and vomiting. I had a colonoscopy a year and a half later, it came back normal. Shortly after, my insurance was cancelled and the infectious disease doctor I was seeing, I couldn't see any longer. I went for years without having a physician treat this, just taking Imodium as needed. I finally got my doctor to refer me to a gastroenterologist a year ago. I tried benzyl with no result. I've had another colonoscopy, an endoscopy and a gastric emptying study. I still have found no effective treatment other than taking Imodium as needed.

Comment from: tom gee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had diarrhea now for 78 days on the run. I got a scan on Saturday and I hope I get some answers to the problem.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had bouts with diarrhea for years, constipation when I was young, but at 77 I'm having diarrhea several times a week and many times in a day!! Very embarrassing as I never know when it will occur and have times to go to the restroom.

Diarrhea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.