Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.

Comment from: Satindoll65, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

About 12 years ago I had bowel obstruction surgery to remove previous abdominal surgical scars. A small section of my stomach was removed; hence, I was left with Crohn's Disease and dumping syndrome. Ever since, I've been suffering with chronic diarrhea 6-8 times a day – so much, I would pass out. I had severe pain, cramping, watery stools, fever, and poor absorption of fluids and electrolytes. To elevate these systems I wouldn't eat. My weight dropped to 90 pounds; normal for me is 105 pounds. No diarrhea medicine worked for me until I tried Imodium AD, two caps one hour before a meal. I also have lactose intolerance so I stay clear of dairy products unless I use Lactaid pills or the liquid. Now, hopefully, I can gain some much-needed weight.

Diarrhea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.