Patient Comments: Diarrhea - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.

Comment from: shammyfarse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I have chronic pancreatitis. I had 60% of my stomach removed due to ulcers caused by alcohol and stress (30 years ago). I am on pain medication which keeps me quite constipated. I also take pancreas enzymes to break down fats in my food. On the 1st of December I had gas and it came out liquid. That was how it's been for a few days. I am taking diarrhea medicines and eating only what's suggested. My problem is the smell. It is 5 days now and the smell is disgusting. I don't know what to do or why this is happening. I just can't isolate.

Comment from: Memaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Hello, I have had constipation as a child, severe stomach pains from childhood up until my gallbladder was taken out. But the pit of my stomach still pains when it is touched. I have had bright orange diarrhea since 1999 and have had several colonoscopies: the first was one with one polyp removed. Still I have not lost any weight, gained more weight. Doctors will not do anything. If they put a tube down my throat I will gag,they will not put me to sleep for this. Every thing I eat is a result in the end of poops. My social life is over as I have to run to the bathroom right after I eat. Does not matter what it is I eat even if I eat cheese, oatmeal etc. I was told to take a fiber pill and that would bulk me up, that is a huge laugh at my expense.

Comment from: v9, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have suffered with chronic diarrhea for a couple of years due to surgical small bowel reconstruction, the worst parts are the sore bottom that results from the many bowel movements, the anal fissures are the worst pain imaginable. If any suggestions are out there please share.

Comment from: gailjmodesto@yahoo.c, Female (Patient) Published: May 07

When I wake up in the morning it starts all day long and it is dark green. This started about three months ago. I don't even have to eat and it happens. I don't know why I have diarrhea.

Comment from: Satindoll65, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

About 12 years ago I had bowel obstruction surgery to remove previous abdominal surgical scars. A small section of my stomach was removed; hence, I was left with Crohn's Disease and dumping syndrome. Ever since, I've been suffering with chronic diarrhea 6-8 times a day – so much, I would pass out. I had severe pain, cramping, watery stools, fever, and poor absorption of fluids and electrolytes. To elevate these systems I wouldn't eat. My weight dropped to 90 pounds; normal for me is 105 pounds. No diarrhea medicine worked for me until I tried Imodium AD, two caps one hour before a meal. I also have lactose intolerance so I stay clear of dairy products unless I use Lactaid pills or the liquid. Now, hopefully, I can gain some much-needed weight.

Diarrhea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your diarrhea?
Diarrhea - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of diarrhea in you, a friend, or relative?
Diarrhea - Antibiotics Question: Were you prescribed antibiotics for diarrhea? If so, why and what antibiotic was prescribed.
Diarrhea - Food Poisoning Question: Did you ever get diarrhea from something you ate? What was the food? Please describe your experience.