Common Causes of Chronic Diarrhea
Examples of some of the common causes of chronic diarrhea include:
- infectious disease such as Giardia lamblia;
- following acute viral, bacterial, or parasitic infections;
- severe constipation;
- laxative abuse; and
- endocrine diseases such as hyperthyroidismor Addison's disease.
Diarrhea also can be a symptom of a disease or condition. For example:
- fat malabsorption can cause diarrhea as a symptom of celiac disease,
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS),
- bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine(a condition in which normal colonic bacteria spread from the colon into the small intestine), and
- inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) such as Crohn's diseaseand ulcerative colitis.