Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: suzeeonline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been on dialysis for about 2.5 years this time. Lately I have been experiencing restlessness and drop in blood pressure. I start to sweat and feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin.

Comment from: Seajay, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 31

During dialysis I passed out. They took too much fluid off of me according to the doctor. I nearly always get cramps. My blood pressure drops drastically, 88/44 for example. That makes me shaky and dizzy, plus I feel terrible. It usually goes back to normal the next day. Blood pressure drops when I have a bowel movement also.

Comment from: lizzyroo, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My mother was on hemodialysis for 13 years. She was in her late 60s when she got diagnosed. We knew nothing about kidney failure. She was sick for a week, then she went to the hospital, stayed for a week and then we were told she would have to start dialysis the following week. She had a positive attitude from the beginning. That makes a difference because there are a lot of things that must be followed in order for you to stay healthy during your treatments. For an older person I think hemodialysis is best. My mom did great as she progressed with her treatments. She was even able to drive herself to and from the treatments for a while. I was there to support throughout the whole process. Family support means a whole lot also.

Comment from: Joecal, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My wife is on kidney dialysis 3 times a week now and about the last half hour of treatment her blood pressure drops and she starts to sweat and sometimes gets dizzy. I have no idea why this happens.

Comment from: Maureen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I just had my second kidney out two weeks ago and am on my 4th dialysis. But I am have a reaction that makes me really pale, I'm breathing funny and can't keep still. I feel weak and feel like I'm dying. I can't lie still. I don't know what is wrong with me.

Comment from: Suresh, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

One of my brother's kidneys is damaged and it is not working properly. Currently he is in hospital. He is undergoing hemodialysis daily since last three days.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

My father is 84 and has stage 4 CKD (chronic kidney disease). Tomorrow we go to the doctor for his 3 month checkup. I am afraid we might have to make a decision to prepare for dialysis treatment. He has anemia, hemoglobin is 9.1.

Comment from: taylornibbler, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My mother gets dialysis 3 times a week and she is having severe muscle cramps in her legs. I am trying to find what she can do during dialysis to help alleviate or lessen the cramps. She is 80 years old and has other conditions, if there is something to help with the cramps it may make her time in dialysis less stressful.