Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: HemoKid, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 69 and was on peritoneal dialysis (PD) for almost 5 years. I kept getting exit site infections annually until it was decided to take me off PD. Apparently peritoneal infections gradually reduce the effectiveness of PD. Anyway, for the past six months I have been on hemodialysis. I was able to work full time until employer decided 3 hours off per week was excessive and I was let go. I had not taken time off since 1995. I was about to retire anyway and was able to negotiate a severance package. Now that I am not working I find it more manageable. I don't have to bother with solution shipments, hooking up, unhooking up, power outages caused by storms, etc. I simply sit in a lounge chair and let the technicians do their magic. I read a book or watch TV, or do the crossword/Sudoku. I let the technicians do their work. My results seem to be very good. I was on a transplant list for many years and my cardiac clearance resulted in triple bypass. A prostate biopsy found a small cancer and after reviewing my options with radiologists and urologists, I decided to take a pass. I'm simply tired of surgery. I vote for hemodialysis.

Comment from: suzeeonline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been on dialysis for about 2.5 years this time. Lately I have been experiencing restlessness and drop in blood pressure. I start to sweat and feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin.

Comment from: Seajay, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 31

During dialysis I passed out. They took too much fluid off of me according to the doctor. I nearly always get cramps. My blood pressure drops drastically, 88/44 for example. That makes me shaky and dizzy, plus I feel terrible. It usually goes back to normal the next day. Blood pressure drops when I have a bowel movement also.

Comment from: lizzyroo, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My mother was on hemodialysis for 13 years. She was in her late 60s when she got diagnosed. We knew nothing about kidney failure. She was sick for a week, then she went to the hospital, stayed for a week and then we were told she would have to start dialysis the following week. She had a positive attitude from the beginning. That makes a difference because there are a lot of things that must be followed in order for you to stay healthy during your treatments. For an older person I think hemodialysis is best. My mom did great as she progressed with her treatments. She was even able to drive herself to and from the treatments for a while. I was there to support throughout the whole process. Family support means a whole lot also.

Comment from: Joecal, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My wife is on kidney dialysis 3 times a week now and about the last half hour of treatment her blood pressure drops and she starts to sweat and sometimes gets dizzy. I have no idea why this happens.

Comment from: sajid, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

My kidney has been paining since four month. The doctor has told me that my kidney has failed and working 20 percent, and that I need dialysis.

Comment from: Suresh, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

One of my brother's kidneys is damaged and it is not working properly. Currently he is in hospital. He is undergoing hemodialysis daily since last three days.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

My father is 84 and has stage 4 CKD (chronic kidney disease). Tomorrow we go to the doctor for his 3 month checkup. I am afraid we might have to make a decision to prepare for dialysis treatment. He has anemia, hemoglobin is 9.1.