Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I was put on the dialysis machine and was on it 3 days a week for a year and a half. I keep asking the doctor my numbers and at first he would tell me and then I started reading and researching. I found that my numbers didn't warrant me being on the machine even though my kidney function was reduced. After doing all the research and getting my facts straight I went to him and told him what I found, and the only thing he could say was that I will be on the machine the rest of my life. I refused to accept that. And most likely if he would have addressed the problem of chronic fatigue and the severe pipe bending leg cramps during treatment I would have accepted it. I have been off the machine now for two years and I am not sick and I am doing excellent. Do your own research, ask questions. Don't accept what they are telling you as the truth. To me it is a big money game, you learn a lot by turning down the sound of your TV while you are in the chair. It is your life, and there is more to life than living for a machine, living for a nurse's bonus, technician bonus. My opinion is they are too quick to put you on the machine.

Comment from: AlysonB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I went to dialysis today, I go Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 1st shift. They hooked me up and it ran my normal 4 hours. A different girl who has been doing this for 19 years, came over to unhook me from the tubes. She got a horrible look on her face. I asked her if the tubes were reversed. She said yes. She called the nurse over who hooked me up and showed her. The both stood there like 2 deer in the headlights. I wonder if I have to be concerned about this. I will for sure watch what is going on every time now. I mean, I'm alive and well right now, but it scared(s) me!

Comment from: Daughter, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

My father is 75 years old and has been on dialysis for 13 years now (3 times a week). For the last few months he's been having these unusual sensory feelings in his fingers, ears and nose. He describes the feeling as if there is sand on his fingertips and in his earlobes. The feelings are so realistic to him that it gets hard to convince him that there is nothing there. We have tried to talk to doctors, have been to see specialists too, but no one takes him seriously and he is getting really depressed.

Comment from: Vertex, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I've been on CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis) for 1 year now and have only one problem; constipation, constantly. I have tried Picolax, Movicol, everything.

Comment from: hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I had a buried catheter for peritoneal dialysis put in 2 weeks ago and still any relief in sight. I have severe pain where the catheter is. I have no fever, no drainage and the surgery is healing fine. I had an MRI and went to emergency. No one can figure out why I am in so much pain.

Comment from: ALEXANDER, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My mother aged 72 expired within one month of starting dialysis due to pneumonia attack. At the time of starting dialysis her creatinine was 19.5. The doctor did not insist on dialysis and he kept on postponing. The caregiver also gave Ayurvedic medicine which caused the increase of creatinine from 11.5 to 19.5 within 15 days. During dialysis, the patient should not walk long, not use staircase immediately after dialysis, and no long travel which might cause pneumonia attack. Take medical counselling.

Comment from: HemoKid, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 69 and was on peritoneal dialysis (PD) for almost 5 years. I kept getting exit site infections annually until it was decided to take me off PD. Apparently peritoneal infections gradually reduce the effectiveness of PD. Anyway, for the past six months I have been on hemodialysis. I was able to work full time until employer decided 3 hours off per week was excessive and I was let go. I had not taken time off since 1995. I was about to retire anyway and was able to negotiate a severance package. Now that I am not working I find it more manageable. I don't have to bother with solution shipments, hooking up, unhooking up, power outages caused by storms, etc. I simply sit in a lounge chair and let the technicians do their magic. I read a book or watch TV, or do the crossword/Sudoku. I let the technicians do their work. My results seem to be very good. I was on a transplant list for many years and my cardiac clearance resulted in triple bypass. A prostate biopsy found a small cancer and after reviewing my options with radiologists and urologists, I decided to take a pass. I'm simply tired of surgery. I vote for hemodialysis.