Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

There are days that I feel no better than when I went in. My shunt is puffing out and that makes me feel like there is something that is not working in the cleaning of my blood. Doubt is the biggest worry I have. You can't feel good when there is a doubt in your mind about your treatment.

Comment from: boogs73, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I have been on dialysis for a year and a half it sure is a life changer. The only thing I have to do is watch what I drink. The more fluids they take off the more strain it is on the heart. That is the hard part. I am on the machine for 4 hours which is difficult to handle sometimes, but you have to do it. I bring my Ipod, or watch TV. I don't recommend it. It really sucks.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I just turned 32. I started dialysis in February. I did not know I had that problem. The day I found out it turned my life completely around. I was so scared, but you have to do what you have to do. I have to live my life for my kids. I do hate going 3 x's a week for 3 hours, but I know it will make me feel better.

Comment from: Cookiewoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I've been on dialysis just over a year now. I was being evaluated for a kidney transplant and on the CT scan they found that I had renal cell carcinoma (I'd had that before in both kidneys) and in March the doctors did a radical nephrectomy. So now I have to be cancer free for a year. The only problem I have with dialysis is being cold. They had adjusted the temp of the blood flow and I'm still cold. I dress like I'm going to the north pole when I go to treatment.

Comment from: Kashout, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 26

My father is 51 years old and just got out of surgery. He's strong and just got hooked up to the dialysis machine. He's tired but smiling. I am scared and hope for the best.