Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: Guiedo41, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

For the past 10 years, I have been dealing with kidney disease. This past June, they failed, and I had to begin dialysis. So far, it has been a very positive experience. I feel better than I have in a long while. I really watch my diet and fluid intake, although I do not retain fluid. Something else I do is exercise; this probably helps maintain my fluid balance and keeps me feeling energetic. I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio with about 15 minutes of light resistance training every other day at a minimum, sometimes more often. I am working on a transplant. My brother is a match, so hopefully the transplant happens next month.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I've been on peritoneal dialysis for almost three years. My initial experience was not great; I had an infection at the site of the catheter insertion that developed while I was still bandaged and had several bouts of peritonitis over the next few months. However, once that was resolved, I have been free to continue to work, to travel, and to spend time with friends. I use the cycler overnight -- two large bags of fluid -- and supplement with a manual exchange with a smaller bag during the early evening as required. I find that you just have to get your mind right; that this dialysis thing is what you need to do to live.

Comment from: Nugget, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 68 years old and have been on dialysis for nine weeks. I drive myself to the center. I go Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Because my Kt/V was great, my dialysis is cut 15 minutes each session. Yay! I listen to audio books, read, watch TV. The nurses and techs are very nice. I have met some nice people -- the patients and their families. They talk about how they have adjusted to renal failure and dialysis. I write a Blog about the Big D to my friends every three to four weeks. It makes it real. The best thing is that when it's over, the next day I feel great.

Comment from: MissPaiute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I started dialysis two months ago. At first, I was very ill since December 2008 with vomiting and diarrhea. I have a catheter still, which I have had to have replaced three times because it didn't work. As of today, I am feeling much better and have more energy. Now I want to get out of the house, whereas before, all I wanted to do was stay in bed. I just hate having to go to dialysis three times a week for three hours each time as it is a pain in the butt. But I make myself go as I know it is helping me feel better.

Comment from: Morris, Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My grandmother is 60 years old. Very young to be in a situation like this. She at the age of 59 had her leg amputated due to diabetes infection. My family just went to test themselves for a match to donate a kidney, sad story is the doctors told my grandmother she wasn't strong enough to accept one. They are going to try one more insertion for dialysis in her arm, but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to lose my closest most precious grandmother.

Comment from: Marty, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 15

My daughter passed away March 9, 2008 and she was 31 years of age. I watched her suffer for 4 years. I guess it a blessing that she is not suffering anymore, but on the other hand I very much wish she was here, because I miss her so much. I don't wish kidney failure on anyone. If anyone starts to feel the symptoms please go to the doctor and have it taken care of before it gets so bad that there is only time and death to look forward to.

Comment from: Amy1962, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have been on dialysis since July 22nd. I go 3 times per week, 4 hours each time. I also work full time. I have had kidney problems since 2002 and lost my left leg in 2005. I am a type 2 diabetic. It can be depressing but I get up saying tomorrow is a new day. I feel really good and I am over 20 lbs lighter. I am looking into a kidney transplant and my son maybe a donor. I try to be positive. That is the only way I get through it.