Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: Marty, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 15

My daughter passed away March 9, 2008 and she was 31 years of age. I watched her suffer for 4 years. I guess it a blessing that she is not suffering anymore, but on the other hand I very much wish she was here, because I miss her so much. I don't wish kidney failure on anyone. If anyone starts to feel the symptoms please go to the doctor and have it taken care of before it gets so bad that there is only time and death to look forward to.

Comment from: Amy1962, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have been on dialysis since July 22nd. I go 3 times per week, 4 hours each time. I also work full time. I have had kidney problems since 2002 and lost my left leg in 2005. I am a type 2 diabetic. It can be depressing but I get up saying tomorrow is a new day. I feel really good and I am over 20 lbs lighter. I am looking into a kidney transplant and my son maybe a donor. I try to be positive. That is the only way I get through it.

Comment from: alan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I am renal dialysis and I do hemodialysis at home every night for the last 2 years, usually 4 to 5 hours. I cannot get my fluid off and the nephrologist tells me to challenge myself take off more. Well I have severe cramping and mainly in my arms and hand but a lot of times anywhere on my body. I have developed severe breathing problem now and have to have oxygen 24 hours, the doctors act like it is my weight, but I think it has to do with the dialysis.

Comment from: Glenn M., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I was on hemodialysis for 11 1/2 years. Yes, those numbers are correct. During that time, my liver began to fail, and I went on the list to get both transplants. In 2007, at age 58, I received both organs from a cadaver at USC University and could not be happier with the outcome. I didn't find dialysis too difficult after I realized it was dialysis or the end of my life. It is amazing what the body can endure. I now lead a normal life and am happily retired.

Comment from: Able, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I am 76 years young I have been a diabetic for ten or more years. I recently lost my youngest son to throat cancer and as a result I worked excessively hard to start a yard sale for my daughters-inlaw. During this time my urine became very yellow. I wonder if my kidneys are starting to fail.

Comment from: princessg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have been on dialysis for 1-1/2 years and I didn't know that I had kidney problems and being on dialysis is still a problem. It hurts to be stuck 3 times a week but I know that I have to have it and I try to make the best of it to live. The way that I get through the day is thinking that somebody is worse off than I and it's rough but we just have to hang in there. I got depressed and on the days of treatments I just went to bed because I felt like this is all I have to look forward to, but I know that life is better than this. You have to get up and go to treatment whether you feel like it or not, but I go to a good center and the staff is really nice and the patients are nice too and that helps the 4 hours go by fast.

Comment from: Devastated, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 15

My sister (61) was on dialysis for 3 years. She passed away last October suddenly. From the report she was coughing and having trouble breathing. By the time I arrived at her hose she was gone. I thought she was doing fine. She went to dialysis on Friday as usual and passed about 3:30am Monday. She went 3 times a week Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I am devastated.

Comment from: Connie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have end stage renal disease and on dialysis for two years. The nephrologists have had a very diffuicult time determining the amount of fluid to remove at each dialysis. They use two main criteria to determine the amount of fluid to remove - my weight and listening to my lungs. This has not worked effectively. I have been in the hospital multiple times for heart and respiratory problems and each time they treat me with strong doses of antibiodics and remove fluid through dialysis treatments. During the most recent hospital stay, they determined that I had fluid in the plueral space. They removed 750cc's and during the procedure they punctured a blood vessel requiring transfusions and admittance to the CCU for 8 days. My problem is why they cannot determine appropriate fluid removal levels for each dialysis treatment. Sometimes they remove so much fluid that I cramp and m blood pressure levels really drop. Then they add fluid back but I still have the problems with oxygen levels and respiratory problems. Another question I have is will normal dialysis remove fluid from the plueral space? I have end stage renal disease and on dialysis for two years. The nephrologists have had a very difficult time determining the amount of fluid to remove at each dialysis. They use two main criteria to determine the amount of fluid to remove - my weight and listening to my lungs. This has not worked effectively. I have been in the hospital multiple times for heart and respiratory problems and each time they treat me with strong doses of antibiotics and remove fluid through dialysis treatments. During the most recent hospital stay, they determined that I had fluid in the pleural space. They removed 750cc's and during the procedure they punctured a blood vessel requiring transfusions and admittance to the CCU for 8 days. My problem is why they cannot determine appropriate fluid removal levels for each dialysis treatment. Sometimes they remove so much fluid that I cramp and my blood pressure levels really drop. Then they add fluid back, but I still have the problems with oxygen levels and respiratory problems.