Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: Nugget, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 68 years old and have been on dialysis for nine weeks. I drive myself to the center. I go Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Because my Kt/V was great, my dialysis is cut 15 minutes each session. Yay! I listen to audio books, read, watch TV. The nurses and techs are very nice. I have met some nice people -- the patients and their families. They talk about how they have adjusted to renal failure and dialysis. I write a Blog about the Big D to my friends every three to four weeks. It makes it real. The best thing is that when it's over, the next day I feel great.

Comment from: MissPaiute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I started dialysis two months ago. At first, I was very ill since December 2008 with vomiting and diarrhea. I have a catheter still, which I have had to have replaced three times because it didn't work. As of today, I am feeling much better and have more energy. Now I want to get out of the house, whereas before, all I wanted to do was stay in bed. I just hate having to go to dialysis three times a week for three hours each time as it is a pain in the butt. But I make myself go as I know it is helping me feel better.

Comment from: Morris, Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My grandmother is 60 years old. Very young to be in a situation like this. She at the age of 59 had her leg amputated due to diabetes infection. My family just went to test themselves for a match to donate a kidney, sad story is the doctors told my grandmother she wasn't strong enough to accept one. They are going to try one more insertion for dialysis in her arm, but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to lose my closest most precious grandmother.

Comment from: Marty, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 15

My daughter passed away March 9, 2008 and she was 31 years of age. I watched her suffer for 4 years. I guess it a blessing that she is not suffering anymore, but on the other hand I very much wish she was here, because I miss her so much. I don't wish kidney failure on anyone. If anyone starts to feel the symptoms please go to the doctor and have it taken care of before it gets so bad that there is only time and death to look forward to.

Comment from: Amy1962, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have been on dialysis since July 22nd. I go 3 times per week, 4 hours each time. I also work full time. I have had kidney problems since 2002 and lost my left leg in 2005. I am a type 2 diabetic. It can be depressing but I get up saying tomorrow is a new day. I feel really good and I am over 20 lbs lighter. I am looking into a kidney transplant and my son maybe a donor. I try to be positive. That is the only way I get through it.

Comment from: alan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I am renal dialysis and I do hemodialysis at home every night for the last 2 years, usually 4 to 5 hours. I cannot get my fluid off and the nephrologist tells me to challenge myself take off more. Well I have severe cramping and mainly in my arms and hand but a lot of times anywhere on my body. I have developed severe breathing problem now and have to have oxygen 24 hours, the doctors act like it is my weight, but I think it has to do with the dialysis.

Comment from: Glenn M., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I was on hemodialysis for 11 1/2 years. Yes, those numbers are correct. During that time, my liver began to fail, and I went on the list to get both transplants. In 2007, at age 58, I received both organs from a cadaver at USC University and could not be happier with the outcome. I didn't find dialysis too difficult after I realized it was dialysis or the end of my life. It is amazing what the body can endure. I now lead a normal life and am happily retired.

Comment from: Able, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I am 76 years young I have been a diabetic for ten or more years. I recently lost my youngest son to throat cancer and as a result I worked excessively hard to start a yard sale for my daughters-inlaw. During this time my urine became very yellow. I wonder if my kidneys are starting to fail.