Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: sajid, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

My kidney has been paining since four month. The doctor has told me that my kidney has failed and working 20 percent, and that I need dialysis.

Comment from: Suresh, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

One of my brother's kidneys is damaged and it is not working properly. Currently he is in hospital. He is undergoing hemodialysis daily since last three days.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

My father is 84 and has stage 4 CKD (chronic kidney disease). Tomorrow we go to the doctor for his 3 month checkup. I am afraid we might have to make a decision to prepare for dialysis treatment. He has anemia, hemoglobin is 9.1.

Comment from: Simom Dog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Home hemodialysis can be done safely and, for the right patient, can vastly improve quality of life. There are also studies that suggest that home hemodialysis done on a more frequent basis may prolong life. The person who said it is dangerous may have just had a bad experience, but that is not typical if you have the proper support and training.

Published: May 02

I am just devastated. My mum has been on dialysis for four years now. She was on Hi I am just devastated-my mum was on dialysis for four years now. She was on hemodialysis for three years, and eventually after numerous catheter infections � her veins became very weak for any further catheter insertions � she went on to peritoneal dialysis. We live in South Africa, and the only option we were given were four bags, four times a day. She hated it, as the liquids were 2 liters at a time just sitting in your tummy. She put up with it for a year and then she had a protein deficiency, which led to continuous diarrhea and vomiting. It got so bad that she refused to eat � and she eventually died of severe dehydration three weeks ago. It's absolutely devastating, because through it all we were with her every step of the way. I still feel that we could have done more.

Comment from: Wizard, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

We need your input. We would like to hear from elderly patients who are on dialysis. Our mother is 77 years old and is in stage 4 kidney failure. She needs to make a decision as far as which dialysis treatment is best for her: hemodialysis or peritoneal. Can someone please share the pros and cons of both?

Comment from: Wickliff57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been on dialysis for three years now. It is really not that bad, except that I am freezing all the time. My circulation is lousy. I have a lot of trouble with the fluid restrictions, but I'm working on getting better.

Comment from: Cowboy, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My grandpa is a cancer survivor. They removed his bladder, prostate, ureter tubes and left kidney in 2004. He is now 75 years old and his kidney is at 20% function. They want him to start dialysis ASAP, but he doesn't want to. He said he's had enough pain and surgery. This man rescued me from my drug-addicted mother when I was 12, and now he is my best friend. I will lose him soon. Please try everything in your power to get your friend or family member to fight on, and never give up.

Comment from: Guiedo41, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

For the past 10 years, I have been dealing with kidney disease. This past June, they failed, and I had to begin dialysis. So far, it has been a very positive experience. I feel better than I have in a long while. I really watch my diet and fluid intake, although I do not retain fluid. Something else I do is exercise; this probably helps maintain my fluid balance and keeps me feeling energetic. I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio with about 15 minutes of light resistance training every other day at a minimum, sometimes more often. I am working on a transplant. My brother is a match, so hopefully the transplant happens next month.