Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: Cutler, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

Peritoneal dialysis is apparently not so well known as hemodialysis, but in my experience, it is much preferable, as the patient has the treatment in their own hands and can vary the times for exchange of the solutions to suit their daily changing routines. The danger of infection appears to me to be much less the danger of the catheter becoming infected at the entry point to the abdomen, but keeping the connector free from infection. This is not difficult but requires attention to details when connecting and disconnecting. I recommend the manual exchange, though given good drainage times, the cycler has benefits, as the exchange can be intensified, and it is run during sleep. The main problem with CAPD is the storage of the solutions and other materials, as this takes up quite some space and has to be carried to the treatment area (10 kg per box). However, if the patient can accommodate the materials and is willing to do the work, the patient is much more independent and can take holidays wherever desired.

Published: May 02

I am just devastated. My mum has been on dialysis for four years now. She was on Hi I am just devastated-my mum was on dialysis for four years now. She was on hemodialysis for three years, and eventually after numerous catheter infections – her veins became very weak for any further catheter insertions – she went on to peritoneal dialysis. We live in South Africa, and the only option we were given were four bags, four times a day. She hated it, as the liquids were 2 liters at a time just sitting in your tummy. She put up with it for a year and then she had a protein deficiency, which led to continuous diarrhea and vomiting. It got so bad that she refused to eat – and she eventually died of severe dehydration three weeks ago. It's absolutely devastating, because through it all we were with her every step of the way. I still feel that we could have done more.

Comment from: Wizard, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

We need your input. We would like to hear from elderly patients who are on dialysis. Our mother is 77 years old and is in stage 4 kidney failure. She needs to make a decision as far as which dialysis treatment is best for her: hemodialysis or peritoneal. Can someone please share the pros and cons of both?

Comment from: Wickliff57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been on dialysis for three years now. It is really not that bad, except that I am freezing all the time. My circulation is lousy. I have a lot of trouble with the fluid restrictions, but I'm working on getting better.

Comment from: Cowboy, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My grandpa is a cancer survivor. They removed his bladder, prostate, ureter tubes and left kidney in 2004. He is now 75 years old and his kidney is at 20% function. They want him to start dialysis ASAP, but he doesn't want to. He said he's had enough pain and surgery. This man rescued me from my drug-addicted mother when I was 12, and now he is my best friend. I will lose him soon. Please try everything in your power to get your friend or family member to fight on, and never give up.

Comment from: Guiedo41, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

For the past 10 years, I have been dealing with kidney disease. This past June, they failed, and I had to begin dialysis. So far, it has been a very positive experience. I feel better than I have in a long while. I really watch my diet and fluid intake, although I do not retain fluid. Something else I do is exercise; this probably helps maintain my fluid balance and keeps me feeling energetic. I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio with about 15 minutes of light resistance training every other day at a minimum, sometimes more often. I am working on a transplant. My brother is a match, so hopefully the transplant happens next month.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I've been on peritoneal dialysis for almost three years. My initial experience was not great; I had an infection at the site of the catheter insertion that developed while I was still bandaged and had several bouts of peritonitis over the next few months. However, once that was resolved, I have been free to continue to work, to travel, and to spend time with friends. I use the cycler overnight -- two large bags of fluid -- and supplement with a manual exchange with a smaller bag during the early evening as required. I find that you just have to get your mind right; that this dialysis thing is what you need to do to live.