Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: mal3, Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I have tried all three types of dialysis. Hemodialysis is tiring and takes much of your time but it allows you some freedoms that you do not get on other treatments. Peritoneal dialysis was better for me because I worked all day and it allowed me to work and still get treatment. It is more responsibility on you but worth it. I connected at night before I went to bed and unhooked in the morning before I left for work. I also tried home hemodialysis. This treatment is very dangerous and you have to have someone there with you when you hook up and unhook for support. This treatment is only offered to certain people, not everyone qualifies. If you are independent I suggest you try peritoneal dialysis. If you are scared and precautious I would go with hemodialysis. I would not try home hemodialysis unless you are confined to a bed and there are no other options. Dialysis is not a bad experience once you get use to the idea.

Comment from: Cutler, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

Peritoneal dialysis is apparently not so well known as hemodialysis, but in my experience, it is much preferable, as the patient has the treatment in their own hands and can vary the times for exchange of the solutions to suit their daily changing routines. The danger of infection appears to me to be much less the danger of the catheter becoming infected at the entry point to the abdomen, but keeping the connector free from infection. This is not difficult but requires attention to details when connecting and disconnecting. I recommend the manual exchange, though given good drainage times, the cycler has benefits, as the exchange can be intensified, and it is run during sleep. The main problem with CAPD is the storage of the solutions and other materials, as this takes up quite some space and has to be carried to the treatment area (10 kg per box). However, if the patient can accommodate the materials and is willing to do the work, the patient is much more independent and can take holidays wherever desired.

Comment from: Simom Dog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Home hemodialysis can be done safely and, for the right patient, can vastly improve quality of life. There are also studies that suggest that home hemodialysis done on a more frequent basis may prolong life. The person who said it is dangerous may have just had a bad experience, but that is not typical if you have the proper support and training.

Published: May 02

I am just devastated. My mum has been on dialysis for four years now. She was on Hi I am just devastated-my mum was on dialysis for four years now. She was on hemodialysis for three years, and eventually after numerous catheter infections – her veins became very weak for any further catheter insertions – she went on to peritoneal dialysis. We live in South Africa, and the only option we were given were four bags, four times a day. She hated it, as the liquids were 2 liters at a time just sitting in your tummy. She put up with it for a year and then she had a protein deficiency, which led to continuous diarrhea and vomiting. It got so bad that she refused to eat – and she eventually died of severe dehydration three weeks ago. It's absolutely devastating, because through it all we were with her every step of the way. I still feel that we could have done more.

Comment from: Wizard, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

We need your input. We would like to hear from elderly patients who are on dialysis. Our mother is 77 years old and is in stage 4 kidney failure. She needs to make a decision as far as which dialysis treatment is best for her: hemodialysis or peritoneal. Can someone please share the pros and cons of both?

Comment from: Wickliff57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been on dialysis for three years now. It is really not that bad, except that I am freezing all the time. My circulation is lousy. I have a lot of trouble with the fluid restrictions, but I'm working on getting better.

Comment from: Cowboy, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My grandpa is a cancer survivor. They removed his bladder, prostate, ureter tubes and left kidney in 2004. He is now 75 years old and his kidney is at 20% function. They want him to start dialysis ASAP, but he doesn't want to. He said he's had enough pain and surgery. This man rescued me from my drug-addicted mother when I was 12, and now he is my best friend. I will lose him soon. Please try everything in your power to get your friend or family member to fight on, and never give up.