Patient Comments: Dialysis - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dialysis.

Comment from: sra113, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I am 59 years old and in the final stages of kidney failure due to kidney disease PKD. I am terrified of dialysis or transplant and have decided that I would rather die than do either of these. I have a paralyzing fear of needles and medical procedures. I expect to have maybe 2 to 3 years left.

Comment from: Wickliff57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been on dialysis for three years now. It is really not that bad, except that I am freezing all the time. My circulation is lousy. I have a lot of trouble with the fluid restrictions, but I'm working on getting better.

Comment from: Cowboy, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My grandpa is a cancer survivor. They removed his bladder, prostate, ureter tubes and left kidney in 2004. He is now 75 years old and his kidney is at 20% function. They want him to start dialysis ASAP, but he doesn't want to. He said he's had enough pain and surgery. This man rescued me from my drug-addicted mother when I was 12, and now he is my best friend. I will lose him soon. Please try everything in your power to get your friend or family member to fight on, and never give up.

Comment from: Guiedo41, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

For the past 10 years, I have been dealing with kidney disease. This past June, they failed, and I had to begin dialysis. So far, it has been a very positive experience. I feel better than I have in a long while. I really watch my diet and fluid intake, although I do not retain fluid. Something else I do is exercise; this probably helps maintain my fluid balance and keeps me feeling energetic. I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio with about 15 minutes of light resistance training every other day at a minimum, sometimes more often. I am working on a transplant. My brother is a match, so hopefully the transplant happens next month.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I've been on peritoneal dialysis for almost three years. My initial experience was not great; I had an infection at the site of the catheter insertion that developed while I was still bandaged and had several bouts of peritonitis over the next few months. However, once that was resolved, I have been free to continue to work, to travel, and to spend time with friends. I use the cycler overnight -- two large bags of fluid -- and supplement with a manual exchange with a smaller bag during the early evening as required. I find that you just have to get your mind right; that this dialysis thing is what you need to do to live.

Comment from: Nugget, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 68 years old and have been on dialysis for nine weeks. I drive myself to the center. I go Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. Because my Kt/V was great, my dialysis is cut 15 minutes each session. Yay! I listen to audio books, read, watch TV. The nurses and techs are very nice. I have met some nice people -- the patients and their families. They talk about how they have adjusted to renal failure and dialysis. I write a Blog about the Big D to my friends every three to four weeks. It makes it real. The best thing is that when it's over, the next day I feel great.

Comment from: MissPaiute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I started dialysis two months ago. At first, I was very ill since December 2008 with vomiting and diarrhea. I have a catheter still, which I have had to have replaced three times because it didn't work. As of today, I am feeling much better and have more energy. Now I want to get out of the house, whereas before, all I wanted to do was stay in bed. I just hate having to go to dialysis three times a week for three hours each time as it is a pain in the butt. But I make myself go as I know it is helping me feel better.

Comment from: Morris, Male (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My grandmother is 60 years old. Very young to be in a situation like this. She at the age of 59 had her leg amputated due to diabetes infection. My family just went to test themselves for a match to donate a kidney, sad story is the doctors told my grandmother she wasn't strong enough to accept one. They are going to try one more insertion for dialysis in her arm, but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to lose my closest most precious grandmother.