Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I injured my little finger in January 2016 and was diagnosed with a mallet finger. My finger was immobilized in a Stax splint. Then after a few weeks the hand therapist gave me another splint. It is now June and my finger is still bent by 20 degrees and I am having problems typing. I wonder if I should have an operation to fix my finger.

Comment from: Jheart, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have type 2 diabetes. I have several types of neuropathy. My left leg burns and aches constantly and is weak when walking. My clothes and bedclothes cause a lot of pain much like someone is holding a blow torch to my legs. I am not a whiner. I have been told the only cure is to control the blood sugar levels. I have taken many different medicines to alleviate the pain. And to add insult to injury I have erectile dysfunction. I am going to defeat this if it is the last thing I do. Don't give up!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

My daughter is suffering very badly at night with sweating and her sugar levels have always been high. The doctor says it is night sweat and is caused by her diabetic neuropathy. She is in pain all day too.

Comment from: robin55, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was told I have diabetic neuropathy at age 46. I do not always have numbness but also have a hard time walking on any surface such as rugs or anything, on bare floors, and socks hurt my toes and soles of my feet. This means I am in pain shortly after I get out of bed. I also get stabbing pain in my middle toes.

Comment from: ladybug, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have had diabetes for about 6 years now the doctor states I'm uncontrolled, I feel good at 600 to 700 but when I get down to the 100s I tend not to feel well. Within the last 2 years I have developed what is called reflex sympathetic dystrophy or RSD. It is nerve damage which can spread throughout the body. Well, I also have what they call restless leg syndrome so I thought that was the pins and needles in my feet; they hurt all the time. I'm on Oxycontin for nerve damage and I have grown immune to it. It hurts when I go to bed even when I keep my feet out from under the blankets. It seems to be spreading up my legs and my diabetes doctor calls me an enigma, so now I don't know what is left.

Comment from: a concerned citizen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My friend did a chemotherapy it cured her leukemia. It started in 2014 and it took a year and 3 months. Then in 2016 it came back stronger and the doctors told her to do another chemotherapy for blood cancer but only this time it had a possibility if it works it might shorten her life of kill her. She chose not to do the chemotherapy because she had been through much pain and suffered a lot later. This year during 2016 July she died because of blood cancer.

Comment from: mdside71, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I have had severe neuropathy for 2 years plus now. This neuropathy was brought on by chemotherapy drugs when I was battling cancer. My pain management doctor has tried everything there is, all the anti-depressants, etc. Right now I am on 15 mg of morphine 4 times a day, and 10 mg Vicodin kickers just to function enough to get out of bed. There is a new test of using ketamine infusions as ketamine changes nerve receptor signals. I am going to be starting that trial hopefully in mid-July. We tried spinal stimulation which failed. She did not want to put me on a spinal pain pump as ideally she and I want me to be off all opioid pain meds forever.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.