Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?

Comment from: Jheart, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have type 2 diabetes. I have several types of neuropathy. My left leg burns and aches constantly and is weak when walking. My clothes and bedclothes cause a lot of pain much like someone is holding a blow torch to my legs. I am not a whiner. I have been told the only cure is to control the blood sugar levels. I have taken many different medicines to alleviate the pain. And to add insult to injury I have erectile dysfunction. I am going to defeat this if it is the last thing I do. Don't give up!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

My daughter is suffering very badly at night with sweating and her sugar levels have always been high. The doctor says it is night sweat and is caused by her diabetic neuropathy. She is in pain all day too.

Comment from: robin55, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was told I have diabetic neuropathy at age 46. I do not always have numbness but also have a hard time walking on any surface such as rugs or anything, on bare floors, and socks hurt my toes and soles of my feet. This means I am in pain shortly after I get out of bed. I also get stabbing pain in my middle toes.

Comment from: ladybug, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have had diabetes for about 6 years now the doctor states I'm uncontrolled, I feel good at 600 to 700 but when I get down to the 100s I tend not to feel well. Within the last 2 years I have developed what is called reflex sympathetic dystrophy or RSD. It is nerve damage which can spread throughout the body. Well, I also have what they call restless leg syndrome so I thought that was the pins and needles in my feet; they hurt all the time. I'm on Oxycontin for nerve damage and I have grown immune to it. It hurts when I go to bed even when I keep my feet out from under the blankets. It seems to be spreading up my legs and my diabetes doctor calls me an enigma, so now I don't know what is left.

Comment from: OINKJOHNSON2, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I have had peripheral neuropathy for about a year now. At first, my doctor simply told me to take ibuprofen for the pain. Then, we escalated to gabapentin (600 mg x 3 times daily). Then, we tried a sample of Lyrica. When my pain did not ease, we are now on oxycodone/acetaminophen twice daily. As I am simultaneously taking tamsulosin for enlarged prostate, I am in a bad way, 24 hours a day pain. I have an appointment with a neurologist for mid-January, but from my reading, I see little to cheer me up. I am going to bring up amputation! Existing with my current situation seems untenable.

Comment from: loneranger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have diabetic neuropathy in both feet and I have started taking coconut oil every day. I am building up to 4 tablespoons a day, one in the morning, one at noon, one at supper, and one before bed. My pain has lessened considerably. I take no other medications at all. It works for me.

Comment from: TB PAIN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2007 and I started on insulin in 2008. I was in denial for several years and my sugars have been 300-400 for past 5 years. The pain in my feet is unbearable. I have been on Neurontin since February for sciatica nerve pain in my left leg. For the past several months I began feeling symptoms such as burning, stinging and just severe pain in my feet. I am now on 900 mg of Neurontin a day and my feet are not much better; in fact they are much worse past 3 weeks. I can't sleep at night for the burning and pain. I've tried the ice on my feet but when you take them off the burning is worse.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.