Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?

Comment from: ladybug, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have had diabetes for about 6 years now the doctor states I'm uncontrolled, I feel good at 600 to 700 but when I get down to the 100s I tend not to feel well. Within the last 2 years I have developed what is called reflex sympathetic dystrophy or RSD. It is nerve damage which can spread throughout the body. Well, I also have what they call restless leg syndrome so I thought that was the pins and needles in my feet; they hurt all the time. I'm on Oxycontin for nerve damage and I have grown immune to it. It hurts when I go to bed even when I keep my feet out from under the blankets. It seems to be spreading up my legs and my diabetes doctor calls me an enigma, so now I don't know what is left.

Comment from: OINKJOHNSON2, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I have had peripheral neuropathy for about a year now. At first, my doctor simply told me to take ibuprofen for the pain. Then, we escalated to gabapentin (600 mg x 3 times daily). Then, we tried a sample of Lyrica. When my pain did not ease, we are now on oxycodone/acetaminophen twice daily. As I am simultaneously taking tamsulosin for enlarged prostate, I am in a bad way, 24 hours a day pain. I have an appointment with a neurologist for mid-January, but from my reading, I see little to cheer me up. I am going to bring up amputation! Existing with my current situation seems untenable.

Comment from: TB PAIN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2007 and I started on insulin in 2008. I was in denial for several years and my sugars have been 300-400 for past 5 years. The pain in my feet is unbearable. I have been on Neurontin since February for sciatica nerve pain in my left leg. For the past several months I began feeling symptoms such as burning, stinging and just severe pain in my feet. I am now on 900 mg of Neurontin a day and my feet are not much better; in fact they are much worse past 3 weeks. I can't sleep at night for the burning and pain. I've tried the ice on my feet but when you take them off the burning is worse.

Comment from: lovelandlady, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 12 years ago. About 3 years ago I developed restless leg syndrome. I am just miserable. Have taken Lyrica and am currently on Neurontin and hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. I also take requip for the restless legs and 600mg of Neurontin three times a day for neuropathy. Some days my feet feel like they are on fire. My doctor will only prescribe about 30 hydrocodone in 3-4 months.

Comment from: Smcminn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My husband has severe cold chills, while in the midst of a very pronounced sweating episode. There is not a morning that goes by that he doesn't have to stand under a warm shower for at least an hour to get going. He takes insulin and metformin and still cannot keep blood sugars under control. There are times he stars slurring his words and stuttering like he is intoxicated but that is not a sure sign of a high or low count it could be either or. It is so hard watching him go thru this, and knowing he would have to go totally blind or lose a limb to get help or be able to file for disability.

Comment from: Badhabitsau, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

My ailment is (diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy ) and it's a bitch ! I have only been battling with this for 4 weeks and already I am on Lyrica 75 mg twice daily , Sifrol .125 mg daily for the restless leg. Endone 10 mg. Twice daily And New just yesterday Targin 20/Mg. Twice daily. With the result that I can just bare it until the next "unwanted and unplanned for attack can strike, and the whole tablet thing starts all over again. “ For me using medical marijuana assists greatly. Because both the Endone and Targin are slow release it can seem like an eternity before they start to work and the pain is mind numbing, spreading from my thy to my back and sides, again this is only my experience. The window of pain varying between 1 to 3 hours. This is where I take the medical marijuana..because it is ingested and for me anyway "WORKS FASTER " THAN THE LEGAL DRUGS. it starts to lower the effect of the pain by about 30% say in the first couple of minutes , then within ten and sitting down etc, TAKING IT EASY FOR A WHILE I can stay "reasonably pain "REDUCED" enough to survive before the big guns like the Endone and Targin can be felt working. It aids in dampening the (lets call it "THE PAINLAG TIME" again for me ! Hope you're "strategy " works for you. This just works for me !

Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.