Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?

Comment from: Martin, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 18

My husband's neuropathy does not seem to give him any pain. He is a type 2 diabetic and it is related to Agent Orange. His legs just give out on him and he is unable to walk. Sometimes he falls. It usually goes away after a period of time but he does not know when it is going to happen.

Comment from: hjminpain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have neuropathy so bad in my hands that they are hardly usable. It worsens at night so I hardly sleep. My diabetes is not under control. Ii takes 80-90 units of insulin per day and it is still not under control. I have changes my eating habits and still can't get control.

Comment from: Dee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My thighs ache to the point of stopping me walking. Standing still for a few moments enables me to continue. I can stand to do home duties for only a few minutes before having to rest - then I can continue. I sit around a lot and my eyes do not want to stay open. Needing help badly. I am an 84 year old diabetic on insulin for the past eight months. Good control of sugar levels. Perhaps it is just old age!!!

Comment from: sister, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

My brother is a type one diabetic with severe symptoms. His neuropathy is severe and he takes many different medications. He also has kidney failure and is on a waiting list for a double transplant. He is very weak. Right now what is getting him down is severe cold sweats. Especially after eating. I was wondering if anyone out there has this symptom and if they have any solutions.

Comment from: darlene501, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I am 62 years old and I hate Diabetic Neuropathy. I have suffered for many years and had to retire from my job. I am now on a drug that is Tegretol (200mg 4 times a day) I also take Amitripyline (100mg once a day). These two drugs work and they work well. It will make you groggy but I can't deal with the pain, so I take them. These drugs are not habit forming; I have been taking them for over 10 years. Often they don't work and I suffer through the night. My blood sugars are good, but once the damage is done nothing I can do. This is the worst pain I have ever felt and would not wish this on my worst enemy. Good luck to all who suffer with neuropathy.

Comment from: lovely, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I have severe burning, severe pain and numbness of the hands every morning especially if my hands are elevated. My diabetes type II is not well controlled and I'm taking 2 glipizides in AM and 2 Metforming bid both on maxed doses and recently 4 units of regular Insulin tid and NPH 10 units bid.

Comment from: vickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Feet go numb and tingle mostly evenings. Sometimes pain is so bad I cry have to put feet on something cold like ice packs or a cold floor. I can't wear shoes for more than a couple of hours before they start burning. Sometimes pain and burning is so bad I would love to cut feet off, that couldn't hurt any worse. I'm on lyrica 100mg 2 times a day but it doesn't seem to help. I'm tired of this pain. My blood sugars are high I can't seem to get them down much. I have tried controlling it for years, they go high and sometimes they are low and I do the same thing. Someone said it's all in my head but I don't think so.

Comment from: Mitchell, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

The symptoms that occur for me is the sensation of my socks being bunched up on the arch of my feet. Also I have a burning sensation in the distal tibia which is substantial during night hours.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.