Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?

Comment from: HOMEKATT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have major numbness in feet, I cannot feel them after standing for 5 minutes in one place. Sometimes at night my toes and feet cramp and hurt really bad like a really hard Charlie horse. I also have a burning sensation in my lower legs that feel like a hot poker is being shoved on them. I have bruises appearing for no reason.

Comment from: directroy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

As a UK sufferer in constant pain which is only partly controlled with morphine twice a day plus a variety of other drugs I am 73 and had diabetes for 18 years plus I am considered to be in control but the pain is severe and can catch me in mid stride and I am unable to move until spasm reduces. As a country with a national health service I am so grateful especially when I hear you guys being unable to get help when here it is all free from cradle to grave. This is a most dreadful disease and I just hope that one day a cure will be found for all of us.

Comment from: Brewton Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am a type 2 diabetic. I suffer from ataxia, parethesis, degenerative disk disease, thyroid, dry skin, etc. Two drugs help me: trazodone for sleep, and Metanx for all those leg and feet pains. I was in couple minor car wrecks in my 20s, and when I was 35 all my problems began: arthritis. I have two bad disks in my neck which took 5 orthos, 3 neurologists, and my diligence to get diagnosed. Not all doctors know their business, for over 30 years I have been seeking diagnosis of a syndrome that occurs when I stand up after sitting upright for over 10 to 30 minutes: I get tremors on one side both arm and leg. No doctor can explain this. And for every one out there, reduce most of your pain, swelling, etc by just eliminating SALT and everything WHITE in your diet. I went from A1C back in 2005 of 7.4 down to 5.3 by doing this. Small lean meals--kids meals, and stop eating white bread, any food with added sugar over 1-3 mgs and nothing fried. Most conditions will be reduced or less painful. I take one metformin 500 a day, one generic Aleve a day, and my Levoxyl, plus my dear trazodone. Also works on pain and not at bad for me at Cymbalta, or Lyrica. Can't do anything related to epinephrine...which by the way a lot of symptoms are similar to fibromyalgia. Ever want to just get undressed when you go home from work -- like being unbound by clothing? Check out Fibro for symptoms.

Comment from: 40 and hurting, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I have been a diabetic for several years, mostly unknown, I now have tingling and burning in my legs including surface numbness. This last weekend the pain got so bad it was overwhelmingly painful, I had to force myself to walk. It was the first real attack I've had and it started at work; I had to leave early taking me 3 minutes to descend 6 steps. My diabeties is getting under control with 4000mg of Metformin daily, I also have calcified tendons in the arches of both feet...

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

The symptoms I experience with my diabetic neuropathy include burning, tingling and pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had Type 2 diabetes for eight years. My blood sugar levels are under control, but for the past year I have suffered terrible shooting pains through the bottoms of my feet, and stiffness in my legs, my right leg more than my left. If I sit for any length of time, getting up to walk is difficult. I am taking Amitriptyline for the Neuropathy pain which has helped me sleep at night and helped the pain temporarily. Now I've noticed in the past couple of weeks the shooting pains and weakness in my legs and feet are returning. Back to the doctor, I hope I can find some relief. I'm 47 years old, I really worry about my later years, if I'm already having these problems before I even turn 50.

Comment from: freeportken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Sharp pain in my back and both buttocks when I walk, now right foot has numbness and loss of motorskills. Have been doing therapy in water has helped foot but still have pain in back and buttocks only when walking with walker now.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.