Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?

Comment from: lovelandlady, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 12 years ago. About 3 years ago I developed restless leg syndrome. I am just miserable. Have taken Lyrica and am currently on Neurontin and hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. I also take requip for the restless legs and 600mg of Neurontin three times a day for neuropathy. Some days my feet feel like they are on fire. My doctor will only prescribe about 30 hydrocodone in 3-4 months.

Comment from: Smcminn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My husband has severe cold chills, while in the midst of a very pronounced sweating episode. There is not a morning that goes by that he doesn't have to stand under a warm shower for at least an hour to get going. He takes insulin and metformin and still cannot keep blood sugars under control. There are times he stars slurring his words and stuttering like he is intoxicated but that is not a sure sign of a high or low count it could be either or. It is so hard watching him go thru this, and knowing he would have to go totally blind or lose a limb to get help or be able to file for disability.

Comment from: directroy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

As a UK sufferer in constant pain which is only partly controlled with morphine twice a day plus a variety of other drugs I am 73 and had diabetes for 18 years plus I am considered to be in control but the pain is severe and can catch me in mid stride and I am unable to move until spasm reduces. As a country with a national health service I am so grateful especially when I hear you guys being unable to get help when here it is all free from cradle to grave. This is a most dreadful disease and I just hope that one day a cure will be found for all of us.

Comment from: Badhabitsau, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

My ailment is (diabetic lumbosacral radiculoplexus neuropathy ) and it's a bitch ! I have only been battling with this for 4 weeks and already I am on Lyrica 75 mg twice daily , Sifrol .125 mg daily for the restless leg. Endone 10 mg. Twice daily And New just yesterday Targin 20/Mg. Twice daily. With the result that I can just bare it until the next "unwanted and unplanned for attack can strike, and the whole tablet thing starts all over again. “ For me using medical marijuana assists greatly. Because both the Endone and Targin are slow release it can seem like an eternity before they start to work and the pain is mind numbing, spreading from my thy to my back and sides, again this is only my experience. The window of pain varying between 1 to 3 hours. This is where I take the medical marijuana..because it is ingested and for me anyway "WORKS FASTER " THAN THE LEGAL DRUGS. it starts to lower the effect of the pain by about 30% say in the first couple of minutes , then within ten and sitting down etc, TAKING IT EASY FOR A WHILE I can stay "reasonably pain "REDUCED" enough to survive before the big guns like the Endone and Targin can be felt working. It aids in dampening the (lets call it "THE PAINLAG TIME" again for me ! Hope you're "strategy " works for you. This just works for me !

Comment from: HOMEKATT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have major numbness in feet, I cannot feel them after standing for 5 minutes in one place. Sometimes at night my toes and feet cramp and hurt really bad like a really hard Charlie horse. I also have a burning sensation in my lower legs that feel like a hot poker is being shoved on them. I have bruises appearing for no reason.

Comment from: Brewton Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am a type 2 diabetic. I suffer from ataxia, parethesis, degenerative disk disease, thyroid, dry skin, etc. Two drugs help me: trazodone for sleep, and Metanx for all those leg and feet pains. I was in couple minor car wrecks in my 20s, and when I was 35 all my problems began: arthritis. I have two bad disks in my neck which took 5 orthos, 3 neurologists, and my diligence to get diagnosed. Not all doctors know their business, for over 30 years I have been seeking diagnosis of a syndrome that occurs when I stand up after sitting upright for over 10 to 30 minutes: I get tremors on one side both arm and leg. No doctor can explain this. And for every one out there, reduce most of your pain, swelling, etc by just eliminating SALT and everything WHITE in your diet. I went from A1C back in 2005 of 7.4 down to 5.3 by doing this. Small lean meals--kids meals, and stop eating white bread, any food with added sugar over 1-3 mgs and nothing fried. Most conditions will be reduced or less painful. I take one metformin 500 a day, one generic Aleve a day, and my Levoxyl, plus my dear trazodone. Also works on pain and not at bad for me at Cymbalta, or Lyrica. Can't do anything related to epinephrine...which by the way a lot of symptoms are similar to fibromyalgia. Ever want to just get undressed when you go home from work -- like being unbound by clothing? Check out Fibro for symptoms.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.