Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.

Comment from: Teri King, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been dealing with diabetic neuropathy for more than four years. I have been a diabetic since 1996 and I suffer also with gastroparesis, and also chronic intestinal pseudo obstruction. However, I take Lyrica 300 mg twice daily for the neuropathy. I have had an increase in weight of almost 25 pounds within 6 to 8 months. But the Lyrica seems to be the only thing that has helped. I also have a feeding tube for which I have had so many replacements, which my doctor says is due to the gastroparesis.

Comment from: mumper, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have had idiopathic neuropathy for 18 months. It is triggered by certain foods and drinks, and exacerbated by stress. Daily use of Forskolin, ALA (alpha lipoic acid), ALCAR (acetyl L-carnitine), evening primrose oil, and fish oil have gotten it under control. A lot of money and time spend researching and experimenting because neurologists and their drugs have been worthless.

Comment from: jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I've had periodic neuropathy nerve pain in my hands and feet for 9 months now. I control the pain by decreasing my sugar intake and using oregano oil with P 73 at bedtime and it works well. Wipe down hand and feet with rubbing alcohol and apply the oregano oil.

Comment from: MissyGayle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

The best and just about only effective treatment for my diabetic neuropathy has been Neurontin, Lyrica and an opioid pain reliever. One does not work without the other. Anyone who says they get relief with just an opioid pain reliever is not suffering from neuropathy, in my opinion. I have had neuropathy for 22 years and believe I have tried every treatment known.

Comment from: AZ_Engineer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 66 and have had diabetic neuropathy for about 15 years now. I have tried Lyrica and other medicines, but the results were modest at best. Lyrica has the annoying side effect of making me dizzy and causing me to stagger. On very bad days, I borrowed (or bought illegally) Oxycontin, which covered the pain by simply masking it. The best treatment, and the one I use again after a couple of years of trying everything else, is high dosages of EPO (evening primrose oil). I usually take 15 (1,300mg) capsules. There are no side effects. The herb simply seems to soothe the damaged nerves better than anything else, even Oxycontin. The cost is negligible, too. I have recently discovered that Queen Elizabeth took a large draught of EPO every evening, as it was considered to be the "Royal Herb." My daily costs for my dosage are about $0.34. I have been on EPO for at least eight of the last 15 years. Incidentally, I am able to work full time as a product development engineer. Despite the severity of the neuropathy, I lead a full, rich life. I am able to walk and get a good night's sleep. I am not addicted to anything, nor do I plan to be. Warning: Be aware that most doctors are not equipped to treat diabetic foot sores. Go to a foot-wound specialist. Over the years, I developed one wound that took a long time to heal, and it was incompetence that made it so. I have no doubt that anyone trying EPO will be helped immensely. Start off slow (four capsules per day), then increase the level to 14 to 15 per day. You will see relief within a week, not immediately.

Comment from: Grace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have been experiencing tingling in my fingers and toes for the past 4 months. I finally realized what the cause was; uncontrolled blood sugar, for years. Although I've been trying to change to a low-carb diet, the tingling has worsened to numbness and cramping in the calf/feet at night. I'm going to look into acupuncture and Chinese herbs as I'm seeing people find relief through it for diabetic neuropathy. You might want to give it a try, but of course find someone licensed, not certified. Also I've been taking chelated magnesium (glycinate) at night (400 mg). This has also helped immensely. I doubt I could sleep without it.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.