Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.

Comment from: jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I've had periodic neuropathy nerve pain in my hands and feet for 9 months now. I control the pain by decreasing my sugar intake and using oregano oil with P 73 at bedtime and it works well. Wipe down hand and feet with rubbing alcohol and apply the oregano oil.

Comment from: MissyGayle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

The best and just about only effective treatment for my diabetic neuropathy has been Neurontin, Lyrica and an opioid pain reliever. One does not work without the other. Anyone who says they get relief with just an opioid pain reliever is not suffering from neuropathy, in my opinion. I have had neuropathy for 22 years and believe I have tried every treatment known.

Comment from: AZ_Engineer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 66 and have had diabetic neuropathy for about 15 years now. I have tried Lyrica and other medicines, but the results were modest at best. Lyrica has the annoying side effect of making me dizzy and causing me to stagger. On very bad days, I borrowed (or bought illegally) Oxycontin, which covered the pain by simply masking it. The best treatment, and the one I use again after a couple of years of trying everything else, is high dosages of EPO (evening primrose oil). I usually take 15 (1,300mg) capsules. There are no side effects. The herb simply seems to soothe the damaged nerves better than anything else, even Oxycontin. The cost is negligible, too. I have recently discovered that Queen Elizabeth took a large draught of EPO every evening, as it was considered to be the "Royal Herb." My daily costs for my dosage are about $0.34. I have been on EPO for at least eight of the last 15 years. Incidentally, I am able to work full time as a product development engineer. Despite the severity of the neuropathy, I lead a full, rich life. I am able to walk and get a good night's sleep. I am not addicted to anything, nor do I plan to be. Warning: Be aware that most doctors are not equipped to treat diabetic foot sores. Go to a foot-wound specialist. Over the years, I developed one wound that took a long time to heal, and it was incompetence that made it so. I have no doubt that anyone trying EPO will be helped immensely. Start off slow (four capsules per day), then increase the level to 14 to 15 per day. You will see relief within a week, not immediately.

Comment from: fwoodswoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I use Lyrica. I am very fortunate to be able to afford it, but only because my insurance covers it. It is the only thing that has helped with my neuropathy pain. I have the "millions of bee stings" feeling in my feet all of the time, which sometimes goes to my knees. If not for the Lyrica (and I tried other treatments), I would have gone nuts by now. I have been diagnosed with diabetes since I was 19; I am now 47. The problem is my diabetes has been under control. I hate it when people believe my neuropathy was because of ill-control. My doctor says it just happens sometimes. I'm now starting to have weak muscles in my legs; which I am told is because of the neuropathy. I look at it as, "At least it's not cancer." I keep on keepin' on. I love the outdoors and have had to change my ways of doing things, but I still do them!

Comment from: mrwell, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

In the 30"s a German scientist discovered that a man made water soluble B vitamin helped with neuropathy of cancer patents on chemotherapy. I tried it and bingo it works for type 2 diabetes neuropathy as well. It's called benfotiamine.

Comment from: Kch1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've recently read that alpha lipoid acid (ALA) can really help with diabetic neuropathy. I know it helped me, but I'm sensitive and broke out in hives. I'm not sure it was the ALA, so I'm going to try it again when I can be off work several days.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.