Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.

Comment from: AZ_Engineer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 66 and have had diabetic neuropathy for about 15 years now. I have tried Lyrica and other medicines, but the results were modest at best. Lyrica has the annoying side effect of making me dizzy and causing me to stagger. On very bad days, I borrowed (or bought illegally) Oxycontin, which covered the pain by simply masking it. The best treatment, and the one I use again after a couple of years of trying everything else, is high dosages of EPO (evening primrose oil). I usually take 15 (1,300mg) capsules. There are no side effects. The herb simply seems to soothe the damaged nerves better than anything else, even Oxycontin. The cost is negligible, too. I have recently discovered that Queen Elizabeth took a large draught of EPO every evening, as it was considered to be the "Royal Herb." My daily costs for my dosage are about $0.34. I have been on EPO for at least eight of the last 15 years. Incidentally, I am able to work full time as a product development engineer. Despite the severity of the neuropathy, I lead a full, rich life. I am able to walk and get a good night's sleep. I am not addicted to anything, nor do I plan to be. Warning: Be aware that most doctors are not equipped to treat diabetic foot sores. Go to a foot-wound specialist. Over the years, I developed one wound that took a long time to heal, and it was incompetence that made it so. I have no doubt that anyone trying EPO will be helped immensely. Start off slow (four capsules per day), then increase the level to 14 to 15 per day. You will see relief within a week, not immediately.

Comment from: fwoodswoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I use Lyrica. I am very fortunate to be able to afford it, but only because my insurance covers it. It is the only thing that has helped with my neuropathy pain. I have the "millions of bee stings" feeling in my feet all of the time, which sometimes goes to my knees. If not for the Lyrica (and I tried other treatments), I would have gone nuts by now. I have been diagnosed with diabetes since I was 19; I am now 47. The problem is my diabetes has been under control. I hate it when people believe my neuropathy was because of ill-control. My doctor says it just happens sometimes. I'm now starting to have weak muscles in my legs; which I am told is because of the neuropathy. I look at it as, "At least it's not cancer." I keep on keepin' on. I love the outdoors and have had to change my ways of doing things, but I still do them!

Comment from: mrwell, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

In the 30"s a German scientist discovered that a man made water soluble B vitamin helped with neuropathy of cancer patents on chemotherapy. I tried it and bingo it works for type 2 diabetes neuropathy as well. It's called benfotiamine.

Comment from: Kch1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've recently read that alpha lipoid acid (ALA) can really help with diabetic neuropathy. I know it helped me, but I'm sensitive and broke out in hives. I'm not sure it was the ALA, so I'm going to try it again when I can be off work several days.

Comment from: pippa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 66 years old and have had type II diabetes for 14 years. My balance is off, I get funny pulsing headaches and my feet are swollen. I have just been put on Lyrica and it somewhat helps. Other things I have tried are APR cream, a lidocaine based rub, voltaren - another rub, primrose oil gels, ibuprofen, Tylenol 3 with codeine added (very good; one 30mg pill can last 24 hours), foot massages, sometimes 3 times a day (if done gently, it can desensitize the foot pain), and lastly I purchased an electrical device one puts one's feet on so an electrical current stimulates the foot, called the revitalize, which is quite helpful at times.

Comment from: Shivashanker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had all symptoms of diabetic neuropathy, which I have been able to control almost 90% with: 1) Bringing down the sugar level by totally avoiding sugar, and 2) Using 100% pure coconut oil, which should be applied on the affected area at least twice a day, i.e., after taking a bath and before going to sleep. But the most important thing is the purity of the coconut oil, which matters a lot. As there is no side effect or any such thing, if tried, I am sure it will give good relief.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.