Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I've had neuropathy for the past year. My doctor has me on Lyrica 100 mg three times a day and Cymbalta 60 mg once a day. I know for a fact that the Lyrica works because my insurance didn't want to pay for Lyrica and made me go on gabapentin. I was in terrible pain without the Lyrica. Finally, my doctor put in for a prior authorization and got me back on Lyrica. I'm also taking Cymbalta for my neuropathy. The combination of the two seems to work, but I still have pain every day in my feet and my hands. I get these electrical shocking sensations in my hands, and my feet always feel like they're swollen, even if they're not swollen. I don't think there is any one drug to help with the nerve pain of neuropathy. Lyrica works, but there are a lot of side effects (for example, sleepiness, vision problems, weight gain, some memory loss or just forgetting what you want to say. We'll all just have to take it one day at a time. That's all we can do! Take care everyone!

Comment from: bigdpoker3, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I am a 40-year-old male, and I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years. I was very athletic until about 10 years ago. It is very hard for me to walk, and I can't even run anymore because of my diabetic neuropathy. My pain goes from my lower back all the way to my feet. I have also been in 14 diabetic comas. Those are no fun! You can hear everything around you but you cannot move, talk, or do anything. If you ever thought you were helpless, let me tell you that is as helpless as you can get. I am on all kinds of meds, but my prayer to whoever reads this is don't make the same mistake I did! Check your blood sugar daily about five to six times, and eat a good diet. I ruined my life by not taking care of my diabetes. Please do not do the same! I hope this helps anyone who reads it.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have been a type 2 diabetic for 12-plus years, have neuropathy in my feet, and I'm starting to have it in my hands. Cooling of my feet has been a temporary fix. I was standing in a small creek while my husband dredged and that night I didn't have the nightly foot pain. I have been soaking a pair of socks with cool water, squeezing them out, putting them on my feet, and placing a Ziploc (large one) over my feet. Then I can do other things while the socks are on...30 to 45 minutes will usually do the job. I hope this helps.

Comment from: lilbit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have peripheral and autonomic neuropathy. I have been on Neurontin, Lyrica, Ultram, and OxyContin over the years for my pain. My current doc refuses to prescribe anything but Neurontin and Lyrica, which have lost all effectiveness and have the worst side effects. Ultram helps but, because of the addiction factor, the doc refuses to give it to me. My feeling is that I will be taking these types of meds for the rest of my life and so is this enough of a reason to keep me from having some relief?

Comment from: judeye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have the typical diabetic neuropathy in both my feet. I feel numbing, cold, and needles, but in my case, it's not unbearable, which is good because I have reactions to every medication we have tried. Now, I am having really bad pain in my right foot. It's about an 8 on the pain scale. It hurts worse when I have to walk or I am making dinner. X-rays show nothing.

Comment from: Walt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I tried Lyrica for my diabetic neuropathy. It helped for a while, but I developed swelling in my left hand, arm, and ankle, which is one of the side effects of Lyrica. As I have had a stroke that affected my left side, that's probably the reason the swelling was only on the left. After a while, the Lyrica wasn't doing a very good job, so I quit using it. It is expensive; however, I was getting it through my doctor by the patient-assistance program. I have not tried Cymbalta yet but plan to discuss this with my doctor at my next visit.

Comment from: mchappell1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

For my diabetic neuropathy, the combination of Cymbalta and Hydrocodone helped a lot with the pain. Unfortunately, I lost my job, and therefore my insurance. I can't afford either one of my medications now. CVS's price for a month's supply of Cymbalta is $290. There's no way I can pay that without a job. The Hydrocodone was $4 with insurance, but my prescription ran out.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.