Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.

Comment from: Grace, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have been experiencing tingling in my fingers and toes for the past 4 months. I finally realized what the cause was; uncontrolled blood sugar, for years. Although I've been trying to change to a low-carb diet, the tingling has worsened to numbness and cramping in the calf/feet at night. I'm going to look into acupuncture and Chinese herbs as I'm seeing people find relief through it for diabetic neuropathy. You might want to give it a try, but of course find someone licensed, not certified. Also I've been taking chelated magnesium (glycinate) at night (400 mg). This has also helped immensely. I doubt I could sleep without it.

Comment from: Rchris52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was on metformin for about 5 years as a pre-diabetic. Recently I was put on steroids for a back injury. I was not aware that it would put me in a diabetic state. Now I am on Amaryl and metformin. I have a yeast infection and also constant internal itching in the evening and getting worse. I am losing my mind because I can't sleep.

Comment from: Bald Eagle, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 06

The patient is a type 2 diabetic, and his doctor is not a diabetic specialist. A few years ago he developed unsteadiness in his walk, to the point of having to use a Rollator. He seemed to improve over time and started walking with a cane off and on. He doesn't really feel any pain, but has numbness in his hands. He had back surgery (for spinal stenosis) but that didn't change things much. He has gone to several different specialists but none have figured out what is going on. Recently he sat with his legs crossed for about 45 minutes and now he can hardly walk. He can't seem to raise his foot high enough to take a normal step.

Comment from: fwoodswoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I use Lyrica. I am very fortunate to be able to afford it, but only because my insurance covers it. It is the only thing that has helped with my neuropathy pain. I have the "millions of bee stings" feeling in my feet all of the time, which sometimes goes to my knees. If not for the Lyrica (and I tried other treatments), I would have gone nuts by now. I have been diagnosed with diabetes since I was 19; I am now 47. The problem is my diabetes has been under control. I hate it when people believe my neuropathy was because of ill-control. My doctor says it just happens sometimes. I'm now starting to have weak muscles in my legs; which I am told is because of the neuropathy. I look at it as, "At least it's not cancer." I keep on keepin' on. I love the outdoors and have had to change my ways of doing things, but I still do them!

Comment from: mrwell, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

In the 30"s a German scientist discovered that a man made water soluble B vitamin helped with neuropathy of cancer patents on chemotherapy. I tried it and bingo it works for type 2 diabetes neuropathy as well. It's called benfotiamine.

Comment from: Kch1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've recently read that alpha lipoid acid (ALA) can really help with diabetic neuropathy. I know it helped me, but I'm sensitive and broke out in hives. I'm not sure it was the ALA, so I'm going to try it again when I can be off work several days.

Comment from: pippa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 66 years old and have had type II diabetes for 14 years. My balance is off, I get funny pulsing headaches and my feet are swollen. I have just been put on Lyrica and it somewhat helps. Other things I have tried are APR cream, a lidocaine based rub, voltaren - another rub, primrose oil gels, ibuprofen, Tylenol 3 with codeine added (very good; one 30mg pill can last 24 hours), foot massages, sometimes 3 times a day (if done gently, it can desensitize the foot pain), and lastly I purchased an electrical device one puts one's feet on so an electrical current stimulates the foot, called the revitalize, which is quite helpful at times.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.