Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I've had neuropathy for the past year. My doctor has me on Lyrica 100 mg three times a day and Cymbalta 60 mg once a day. I know for a fact that the Lyrica works because my insurance didn't want to pay for Lyrica and made me go on gabapentin. I was in terrible pain without the Lyrica. Finally, my doctor put in for a prior authorization and got me back on Lyrica. I'm also taking Cymbalta for my neuropathy. The combination of the two seems to work, but I still have pain every day in my feet and my hands. I get these electrical shocking sensations in my hands, and my feet always feel like they're swollen, even if they're not swollen. I don't think there is any one drug to help with the nerve pain of neuropathy. Lyrica works, but there are a lot of side effects (for example, sleepiness, vision problems, weight gain, some memory loss or just forgetting what you want to say. We'll all just have to take it one day at a time. That's all we can do! Take care everyone!

Comment from: bigdirtygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm a 36-year-old woman who found out that I was diabetic about five years ago. For about eight years now, I've been in the worst pain ever in my life. I was having problems with both of my feet being numb before I found out what was a matter with me, that it was diabetic neuropathy. I take Lyrica and Percocet, and still that has no effect on my feet. People think I'm crazy when I say my feet are numb but, they hurt so bad I can't stand it. I also just got both of my big toes amputated at the beginning of the year, so pay close attention to your feet. It still feels as if they are still there, too.

Comment from: MPLonestar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

A diabetic since 1997, I rapidly developed neuropathy even though my glucose levels were under control. At first, Neurontin helped considerably but that soon became useless. Then along came Lyrica, a drug with no generic equivalent. As a veteran I get my prescriptions at the VA but being non-service connected, I have to have private insurance, which the VA bills for compensation. AETNA refuses to cover Lyrica as it's too expensive and will only allow me half the dosage of Neurontin my physician wants me to have. So I'm stuck with no relief and as a result my quality of life is diminished. I suffer from sleep deprivation and constant pain. My doctor is well aware of this, but his hands are tied as he can prescribe anything I need, but insurance decides what I can have.

Comment from: D., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had type 2 diabetes for 12 years. I started using capsaicin topical analgesic cream and vitamin B-6 and E to ease the pain of neuropathy. It worked for a while. Then when the neuropathy worsened, I was given Pamelor. The side effects were so bad, I almost died. Then I was given 300 mg of gabapentin, three times a day. Nothing happened. The neuropathy got worse. They increased the gabapentin to the maximum dose. It still did not work on the pain. So they dropped the dose back to 600 mg, twice a day. I continue to take it, but it does nothing for my pain. I have to take two caplets of non-aspirin pain reliever PM just to try to sleep at night. Sometimes I am up all hours of the night rubbing capascin cream on my feet to stop the pain. My doctor then put me on propoxyphene N 100/APAP 650 mg tabs. Unless I take this before the pain starts, it does not help. Now I am getting the neuropathy in my hands and was prescribed naproxen 500 mg tabs, which is not helping a great deal. My hands are getting stiff, and I do not have much feeling in my fingers. I am going back to the doctor to see if there is anything else I can try. During the course of all this, I damaged my right ankle. I hope there is something I can get from the Veterans Administration for this pain. I do not look forward to bedtime, because I know I will be up in pain. I was told today at the foot doctor that there is a new treatment involving blue laser light. I will find out soon if it might help and what it is exactly.

Comment from: ladyelf578, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had diabetic neuropathy symptoms for about six years now. I have been on Cymbalta, Neurontin, Lyrica, Wellbutrin, and Paxil. The antidepressants made me into a couch potato; I did nothing and have little memory of two years of my life. The Neurontin, Lyrica and Wellbutrin made me vomit every night about an hour after falling asleep. I have state-provided health coverage, which in some cases is the same as having none. I have received all of the above drugs through the patient-assistance programs and have had to pay nothing. I quit smoking six months ago and now have COPD to cope with. My legs got tired just walking up stairs. Now I get short of breath too!

Comment from: bigdpoker3, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I am a 40-year-old male, and I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years. I was very athletic until about 10 years ago. It is very hard for me to walk, and I can't even run anymore because of my diabetic neuropathy. My pain goes from my lower back all the way to my feet. I have also been in 14 diabetic comas. Those are no fun! You can hear everything around you but you cannot move, talk, or do anything. If you ever thought you were helpless, let me tell you that is as helpless as you can get. I am on all kinds of meds, but my prayer to whoever reads this is don't make the same mistake I did! Check your blood sugar daily about five to six times, and eat a good diet. I ruined my life by not taking care of my diabetes. Please do not do the same! I hope this helps anyone who reads it.

Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.