Patient Comments: Diabetic Neuropathy - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetic neuropathy.

Comment from: pippa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 66 years old and have had type II diabetes for 14 years. My balance is off, I get funny pulsing headaches and my feet are swollen. I have just been put on Lyrica and it somewhat helps. Other things I have tried are APR cream, a lidocaine based rub, voltaren - another rub, primrose oil gels, ibuprofen, Tylenol 3 with codeine added (very good; one 30mg pill can last 24 hours), foot massages, sometimes 3 times a day (if done gently, it can desensitize the foot pain), and lastly I purchased an electrical device one puts one's feet on so an electrical current stimulates the foot, called the revitalize, which is quite helpful at times.

Comment from: Shivashanker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had all symptoms of diabetic neuropathy, which I have been able to control almost 90% with: 1) Bringing down the sugar level by totally avoiding sugar, and 2) Using 100% pure coconut oil, which should be applied on the affected area at least twice a day, i.e., after taking a bath and before going to sleep. But the most important thing is the purity of the coconut oil, which matters a lot. As there is no side effect or any such thing, if tried, I am sure it will give good relief.

Comment from: bigdirtygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm a 36-year-old woman who found out that I was diabetic about five years ago. For about eight years now, I've been in the worst pain ever in my life. I was having problems with both of my feet being numb before I found out what was a matter with me, that it was diabetic neuropathy. I take Lyrica and Percocet, and still that has no effect on my feet. People think I'm crazy when I say my feet are numb but, they hurt so bad I can't stand it. I also just got both of my big toes amputated at the beginning of the year, so pay close attention to your feet. It still feels as if they are still there, too.

Comment from: MPLonestar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

A diabetic since 1997, I rapidly developed neuropathy even though my glucose levels were under control. At first, Neurontin helped considerably but that soon became useless. Then along came Lyrica, a drug with no generic equivalent. As a veteran I get my prescriptions at the VA but being non-service connected, I have to have private insurance, which the VA bills for compensation. AETNA refuses to cover Lyrica as it's too expensive and will only allow me half the dosage of Neurontin my physician wants me to have. So I'm stuck with no relief and as a result my quality of life is diminished. I suffer from sleep deprivation and constant pain. My doctor is well aware of this, but his hands are tied as he can prescribe anything I need, but insurance decides what I can have.

Comment from: D., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had type 2 diabetes for 12 years. I started using capsaicin topical analgesic cream and vitamin B-6 and E to ease the pain of neuropathy. It worked for a while. Then when the neuropathy worsened, I was given Pamelor. The side effects were so bad, I almost died. Then I was given 300 mg of gabapentin, three times a day. Nothing happened. The neuropathy got worse. They increased the gabapentin to the maximum dose. It still did not work on the pain. So they dropped the dose back to 600 mg, twice a day. I continue to take it, but it does nothing for my pain. I have to take two caplets of non-aspirin pain reliever PM just to try to sleep at night. Sometimes I am up all hours of the night rubbing capascin cream on my feet to stop the pain. My doctor then put me on propoxyphene N 100/APAP 650 mg tabs. Unless I take this before the pain starts, it does not help. Now I am getting the neuropathy in my hands and was prescribed naproxen 500 mg tabs, which is not helping a great deal. My hands are getting stiff, and I do not have much feeling in my fingers. I am going back to the doctor to see if there is anything else I can try. During the course of all this, I damaged my right ankle. I hope there is something I can get from the Veterans Administration for this pain. I do not look forward to bedtime, because I know I will be up in pain. I was told today at the foot doctor that there is a new treatment involving blue laser light. I will find out soon if it might help and what it is exactly.

Comment from: ladyelf578, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had diabetic neuropathy symptoms for about six years now. I have been on Cymbalta, Neurontin, Lyrica, Wellbutrin, and Paxil. The antidepressants made me into a couch potato; I did nothing and have little memory of two years of my life. The Neurontin, Lyrica and Wellbutrin made me vomit every night about an hour after falling asleep. I have state-provided health coverage, which in some cases is the same as having none. I have received all of the above drugs through the patient-assistance programs and have had to pay nothing. I quit smoking six months ago and now have COPD to cope with. My legs got tired just walking up stairs. Now I get short of breath too!

Diabetic Neuropathy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Experience With Diabetic Focal Neuropathy Question: Please describe your experience with diabetic focal neuropathy.
Diabetic Neuropathy - Other Conditions Question: What other conditions did you develop with your diabetic neuropathy?
Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care Question: Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.