Patient Comments: Diabetes - Diet

Have you found diet, exercise, and medication effective to control your diabetes?

Comment from: drawles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I seriously need to lose weight. I can't get my levels under 200. I am insulin dependent. I am seeing a specialist soon. What questions should I ask him to help? I am unable to exercise as a result of congestive heart failure. I can't walk further than a block.

Comment from: sdemick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I started a diet the last week of January along with a strenuous exercise program. I have lost over 20lbs.since I started and have gained significant muscle mass. Early on my insulin levels dropped from 50 units per day to 10, but in the last 4 weeks my insulin use has increased. I do 1.5 hrs of exercise daily, 30 plus minutes of cardio and 45 plus of weight lifting. My blood sugar increases 100 to 150 points during exercise and has been hard to control. I am happy with the weight loss and will continue to try to lose another 15 lbs to see if blood sugars get lower. It's been frustrating not being able to see better blood sugar levels, but I'm working on it!

Comment from: Jragonfli, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed Diabetic at the age of 27 after suffering from a heart attack brought on by extremely rapid weight loss. During an illness, I dropped from 280lbs to 180lbs. I have since slowly regained weight back to 250-260 (6'2"). I am not currently under doctor care, due to multiple bad experiences. I'm currently experimenting with holistic treatment (exercise, vitamins, diet). I am now 32.

Diabetes Treatment - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetes.
Diabetes Treatment - Medications Question: Please discuss the medications you take to manage your diabetes.
Diabetes Treatment - Insulin Pump Question: Do you use an insulin pump to treat your diabetes? Please describe the pros and cons of this type of treatment.
Diabetes Treatment - Insulin Pens Question: Describe how you use pre-filled insulin pens and the environment in which they are most convenient for you.