Patient Comments: Diabetes Treatment - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetes.

Comment from: Geoff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 2 years ago. I went on Metformin which helped control my blood sugar but the side effects included severe diarrhea and an itchy rash. Doctor prescribed glyburide which worked very well in controlling my blood sugar but I later developed a severe rash and debilitating itchiness. I am now on januvia which is not working for the blood sugar and the rash is ongoing. I have mild blood pressure challenges for which I am taking lisinopril. I am a prostate cancer survivor.

Comment from: Mr.Goradia, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I have been diabetic for the past 16 years. For 12 years I have been controlling my sugar with 3 tablets daily. But in 2006 rainy season I happened to get a fever and I was a victim of malaria. This was the turning point for me to convert my diabetes to worst. I was asked to start insulin. Since 2004 I have been injecting insulin 3 times a day. Total 30 unit of insulin I take daily. Last year in 2010 November I happen to start treatment. For starting 3 months I was on toxin free treatment then this year Feb I started my diabetes medicine. today my 14 unit insulin has been reduced. Herbal medicine does work wonder especially when it's taken on time and in proper time advised by experts.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

Diagnosed 3 months ago based on physical exam in which fasting blood glucose was 131. My A1c was 7. I was started on metformin 500mg twice per day. I did not tolerate metformin. It made me itch tremendously and gave me a rapid weight loss of 10 lbs. Now I am on glipizide 10mg twice per day. My blood sugar is very well controlled. I usually walk 30 minutes per day 5 or 6 days per week. My morning readings are between 95 and 115. My evening reading is 110-120. My doctor is considering lowering my dose from 10mg 2 times per day to 5mg 2 times per day. I hope with continued attention to what I eat and exercise I can get into remission.

Comment from: msvirginia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am currently taking Actosplus met 1000mg twice a day along with glimepride 4mg once a day. I have raised the concern about the actos with my doctor but he has not changed my medication. Metformin alone wasn't enough to keep my sugar under control. I also had thyroid cancer 3 years ago and they removed my thyroid.

Comment from: tan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

Type 2 diabetes diagnosed about 15 months ago, BG reading about 290 HBA1c about 13. Started on Metformin for only 1 week. Read that carbs are non essentials, hence eliminated all refined carbs from diet including sugar, fructose and all --ose. Use stevia when needed, eating two eggs a day, cheddar cheese, avocados, almonds, macadamia nuts, fish, chicken, leafy vegetables, string beans supplement with omega 3 and EPO, multivitamins and brisk walking. HBA1C drops below 6% within 1 month, BG normalised within a week. No diabetic medication needed. Spend your money on good food, no refined carbs no blood sugar fluctuation.

Comment from: Leonora, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

In the past 3 months, my blood sugar levels are averaging 239-468. My health has been on the downside (i.e, bronchial pneumonia, UTI, surgery and abscessed tooth extraction. None of the medication regiments have been effective. Humalog regular insulin using sliding scale was not working, therfore, back on Janumet 50/1000 bid & Lantis 100 units at bedtime.

Diabetes - Diet Question: Have you found diet, exercise, and medication effective to control your diabetes?
Diabetes Treatment - Medications Question: Please discuss the medications you take to manage your diabetes.
Diabetes Treatment - Insulin Pump Question: Do you use an insulin pump to treat your diabetes? Please describe the pros and cons of this type of treatment.
Diabetes Treatment - Insulin Pens Question: Describe how you use pre-filled insulin pens and the environment in which they are most convenient for you.