Patient Comments: Diabetes Treatment - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetes.

Comment from: boybaby, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

Victoza has lowered my A1C from 16 to 7.2 in 10 weeks I have lost 18lbs and feel better than I have in 10 years. You may want to mention it to your doctor.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I started out with Metaformin twice a day and Actos. My fasting blood sugar was still over 100 in the morning. I tried Januvia and it did nothing but cost money! I dropped it and just doubled my Metaformin and my fasting blood sugar in the morning is below 100 and only goes to about 120 after eating. Some may consider that great, but I believe with my body type it is not low enough since I cannot lose any weight without B12 shots, no matter how much I exercise and after lap band surgery! I also tried 1 tsp cinnamon a day, I did not see any results.

Comment from: Kalim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

My wife is a diabetes patient since 1998 she is using insulin humulin N and R with doses of 10 and 8 respectively in the mornings after meals. Her eyes are weak she feels pain in her legs and feet she has become and becoming weaker and weaker. On the advice of the Doctor she started insulin but no fruitful results have been achieved, mixture insulin has been used, humulin 70/30 also used but she is becoming so weak.

Comment from: Mary O, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I wanted to share a diet tip with anyone who is type 2 diabetic. I have integrated a product called salba into my diet. It has helped stabilize my blood sugar and I have lost weight. I read about this product in the Saturday Evening Post a few months back. Very impressed. There is something in this powerful seed that has had a very positive effect on my health. I do not cook at home much, so I am not good about using the seed in my food, however, I have been eating a nutritional bar a day. Good stuff!

Comment from: earthwolf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

Type two for less than one year. I had real bad high glucose, and so low that I passed out. I was on several drugs, but side effects were unacceptable. Got serious about carb counting, exercise on a regular basis, as in little 20 min. dancing, riding a bike, walking, three to four times a day. Doctors said I would always need meds. Eventually, Insulin. Levels are normal now, with just basic Diabetic Knowledge, and action not the pills.

Comment from: Diabguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

Once a diabetic always a diabetic. Medicine, exercise and suitable food intake is a must to control blood sugar levels. One cannot supplement or replace the other. I am a diabetic for the past 9 years. I started with Obimet tablets. Now I am using Amaryl 1mg before breakfast in the mornings and Gluformin 850 mg after dinner. It helps control my blood sugar levels effectively. 30 minutes of walk or some form of exerting exercise is a must. Diabetes is a blessing in disguise I think, as otherwise I would given up exercising long time back. Now many friends of mine of younger age envy my energy levels.

Comment from: jjimvele, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been treating my type 2 diabetes for the last 30 years with diet, insulin, and exercise with fairly good results. My glycosylated Hb has been less than 7 since.

Published: June 01

I helped a friend's mother who was around 76 years old, she had diabetes also and later almost went blind. I got a organic dressing solution (plant extract) dressed her wound (supposed to be amputated), drip her eyes, after 4 days, the wound closed and pinkish skin grew, after 10 days, she's able to enjoy television. I am not here to offer medication, I just said, herbal remedy sometime does miracles.

Diabetes - Diet Question: Have you found diet, exercise, and medication effective to control your diabetes?
Diabetes Treatment - Medications Question: Please discuss the medications you take to manage your diabetes.
Diabetes Treatment - Insulin Pump Question: Do you use an insulin pump to treat your diabetes? Please describe the pros and cons of this type of treatment.
Diabetes Treatment - Insulin Pens Question: Describe how you use pre-filled insulin pens and the environment in which they are most convenient for you.