Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Debbie m., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had back pain, kidney infections, yeast infection, night sweats, and insomnia. I thought I had a kidney infection, but a new doctor at the clinic suggested an A1C test and it turned out my blood sugar was in the 200s that morning. Here we are and I have diabetes.

Comment from: karim H., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a young man of 45 years now and I have been confirmed to have diabetes. Now I am having lots of symptom like weak erection, weakness of the body, dry lips and palms, and even restlessness in the legs and shrinking of my general body build ups. My head is itching very much now.

Comment from: Sara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had no symptoms, I was hypoglycemic for years, then about age 75 developed type 2 diabetes. I lost about 55 lb., and have controlled it with medication. A1C stays about 6.2, have presently had trouble with kidney infections and high blood pressure.

Comment from: kris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

My symptoms of diabetes were weight loss, blurred vision, and thirst.

Comment from: Lauren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

When I got diabetes at 22 I had weight loss, no energy and was thirsty all the time. I also could not eat and was never hungry.

Comment from: jake, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I am a 10 year diabetic taking metformin 1000 mg twice daily. Last A1C was 750. My symptoms have always been stomach and bowels. I am a 54 year old male.

Comment from: JKEsposito, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I am 35 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last summer. I took generally good care of myself and exercised on a regular basis. For at least the year before, I noticed that I had to urinate all the time, waking me up several times a night. In the month or so prior to being diagnosed, I lost 40 pounds and was thirsty all the time. One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, had blurry vision, a rapid heartbeat, and began hyperventilating. My blood glucose level in the ER was in the high 500s and my A1C was 9.7. Since then, I have developed neuropathy, which makes life pretty difficult. If you have diabetes, take care of it.

Comment from: Chanelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have type 1 Diabetes, I was 15 years old at the time I found out. I had just got over tonsilitis when suddenly I became thirsty (constantly needing a large glass of water) peeing non-stop (clear with no color), and lost about 30 pounds in four weeks. I had blurred vision and would wet the bed without knowing it. My body attacked my pancreas instead of fighting of the tonsilitis infection!

Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?