Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: KJBB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

When I first had signs of diabetes years ago, it was during a pregnancy. My blood sugar readings were high and I was put on insulin during the rest of my pregnancy. Six years after I had all 4 of my children, the disease came back to stay. I started losing weight, feeling fatigued and eating more, but still losing weight. I seemed to be hungry all the time and always had to urinate. When working out in the yard, I'd work till I was ready to drop. I experienced the shakes, became disoriented, light headed and hungry. For some reason, after I ate I felt much better. Now that I have had this disease for approximately 25 years, I understand what was going on. This is nothing to ignore.

Comment from: Curly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I did not know I had diabetes till my doctor said so - e.g. I had no symptoms that I recognized. I was sent to have a blood test (annual event), asked to monitor blood sugar over a month or so and was consistently over 5.0 (whatever this means in my instrument). I did notice that I was thirsty more often than in previous years; I am 67 years old now - diagnosed at 65. I am a bit overweight: 5 ft and 63-64 kg, stopped smoking. Joined Weight watchers and lost 4 kg. My lowest was 60 kg. I worry sometimes about checking my levels: can't seem to get enough blood out of a finger! My hands 'shrink' e.g. they look and feel as if I'd spent hours in water: all shrunk.

Published: July 11

My symptoms began with “hot flashes.” I thought I needed to increase my dosage of Premarin. I am the first person in my family ever to be diagnosed with diabetes. I am also the first one in my family to become obese.

Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?