Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 17

I had no idea that I had type II diabetes. I was diagnosed at age 50, after complaining to my doctor about being very tired. There is no family history of this disease. I'm a male and at the time of diagnosis, I weighed about 215. (I'm 6'2")Within 6 months, I had gained 30 to 35 pounds, and apparently the diabetes medicines (Actos and Glimiperide) are known to cause weight gain. I wish my doctor had mentioned that, so I could have monitored my weight more closely. It's been very hard to lose this weight.

Published: July 09

I am diabetic, and I urinate a lot, usually during the night. I also become very thirsty at times and when my sugar is high, my mouth becomes very dry. Sometimes I get very bad migraines, and when my sugar is low, I become very hungry. Other symptoms include sleepiness, weight loss, and dizziness at times.

Published: May 30

I had a cerebellum/brainstem stroke with two minor strokes in the last week. I stopped recovering and started on a downward slide by way of tiring easily and massive lower back, leg and ankle cramps. At a routine visit in March my doctor was concerned about rising blood/sugar levels. I was tested a month later. At that time a wheelchair was brought into the room and the testing person mentioned that they may keep me overnight. It turned out my levels were above 600 and rising. My biggest problems were the fact that before I was recovering nicely but a month later I found myself starting all over. Last year was a bad year for me and emergency rooms. Not only did I drive myself to the hospital after the second minor stroke. I drove to and then crawled into the emergency room for severe lower abdominal pain, two hours later I was in surgery for appendicitis. Soon after that I was told that my fight with prostate levels over 11 had went back to you win some every now and then.

Published: May 27

I ate and ate but still remained slim! Also I was always thirsty and going to the loo often. This all happened 37 years ago, when diabetes was not as open as it is today. One day I had flu symptoms feeling quite unwell the doctor was called out and I was left with some medicine, later that day my dad went to check on me and he couldn't wake me up..... I had gone into a coma it was touch and go (so I was told) but I was rushed to hospital and the rest is history. At first I was told to eat 5 oranges a day for the potassium then I remember practicing on an orange with a syringe. At the time I was only 13 and it was not as bad as you would imagine I just went along with it and all these years later I still am!

Comment from: fwoodswoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I did not have the frequent thirst that most people have. My first symptoms were extreme tiredness. Believe or not, I was first diagnosed with Narcolepsy; a sleep disorder where a person falls asleep uncontrollably throughout the day, even during normal activities. I was "passing out" while working at (of all places) a fast-food establishment. Normal blood tests did not show diabetes. Until I had a glucose tolerance test which showed I had developed diabetes, nothing else was evident. There was also no known diabetes in my family except for what was known back then as "senile diabetes;" my grandfather and my mother were diagnosed after age 60. I was the youngest of my family to be diagnosed with Type II Diabetes at age 19. However, I will also note that I was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia when I was 17 (that's low blood sugar, not high). Therefore, my doctor was quite surprised that I had developed Hyperglycemia (diabetes). I guess I'm just weird many of my friends and family would agree.

Comment from: katfish, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

My oldest son has type 1 diabetes. He is in his late 20's. He thought he had the flu and laid on the couch for 3 days until his girlfriend took him to the hospital. They finally took his blood sugar and it was 6oo. I do not know where he could have inherited it. I saw on another page that there are related articles on Hashimoto disease and Diabetes. I have Hashimoto disease. Could my son have developed Diabetes from my thyroid problems?

Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?