Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Dusty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Starting out, I did not have any symptoms to speak of. My cholesterol was high, so my doctor did a hemoglobin A1c test and I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Three months later, after I gained 13 pounds, the doctor tested me again. This time, I had full-blown diabetes. Now, I watch what I eat, exercise when I can, and am losing weight. My numbers for the fasting blood sugar test stay between 85-100 mg/dL. I love carbs but now know they are the enemy, so I have adjusted my diet.

Comment from: gibsongothchick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

My first diabetes symptom was diabetic neuropathy. I didn't know I was diabetic until I went to my doctor complaining about constant foot pain. After a multitude of tests for everything from rheumatoid arthritis to muscular dystrophy, an emergency room physician checked my blood sugar.

Comment from: Joanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

The only symptom that I had was tingling in my legs especially at night after I retired to bed. The tingling became more severe where I could not get them to stop. I thought I had restless leg syndrome. My doctor tested me for diabetes and found that I had type II diabetes and the sugar was attacking my legs because it had no place to go. He put me on a sugar free diet and Actos and within one to two days my symptom were gone.

Comment from: rocky57, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My father's entire family has diabetes, so I knew to watch for symptoms as I aged. I did not, however, know the extent that diabetes can effect your dental health. I have had perfect teeth my entire life. At age 51, I went for a routine bi-annual cleaning, and was told I had beginning periodontal disease. The next week I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes.

Comment from: carr97, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I didn't have diabetes symptoms per se, but my mother was diagnosed with diabetes two months before I was. I went to see the doctor with a fractured wrist and when he took my history, I told him about my mother, and me being overweight, he tested me that same week. I had it too. Now both my mother and I are always looking, reading and studying up on as much information as we can on "our" disease. She helps me, and I help her.

Comment from: Londonbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was diagnosed in 1997 from a routine blood test as part of a physical. I can remember I was sick to my stomach and vomiting practically every weekend like clockwork. I'm always vomiting now, but not as often as then.

Comment from: Merle , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

My diabetes symptoms included episodes of blurry vision that my doctor dismissed. I also had very dry skin, moments of weakness, sweaty spells, extreme thrist, and dry mouth.

Comment from: Cherie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Four years ago, I started getting very tired. I felt as if I were drugged after eating. I couldn't stay awake and would have to go to bed. Sometimes, I would get very thirsty and run to the bathroom. I was 58 then and started gaining weight. I was so sluggish. A year later, I was diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension. Finally, things are under control and life feels wonderful. There is no history of diabetes in my family.

Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?