Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Londonbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was diagnosed in 1997 from a routine blood test as part of a physical. I can remember I was sick to my stomach and vomiting practically every weekend like clockwork. I'm always vomiting now, but not as often as then.

Comment from: Merle , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

My diabetes symptoms included episodes of blurry vision that my doctor dismissed. I also had very dry skin, moments of weakness, sweaty spells, extreme thrist, and dry mouth.

Comment from: Cherie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Four years ago, I started getting very tired. I felt as if I were drugged after eating. I couldn't stay awake and would have to go to bed. Sometimes, I would get very thirsty and run to the bathroom. I was 58 then and started gaining weight. I was so sluggish. A year later, I was diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension. Finally, things are under control and life feels wonderful. There is no history of diabetes in my family.

Published: July 17

I had no idea that I had type II diabetes. I was diagnosed at age 50, after complaining to my doctor about being very tired. There is no family history of this disease. I'm a male and at the time of diagnosis, I weighed about 215. (I'm 6'2")Within 6 months, I had gained 30 to 35 pounds, and apparently the diabetes medicines (Actos and Glimiperide) are known to cause weight gain. I wish my doctor had mentioned that, so I could have monitored my weight more closely. It's been very hard to lose this weight.

Published: July 09

I am diabetic, and I urinate a lot, usually during the night. I also become very thirsty at times and when my sugar is high, my mouth becomes very dry. Sometimes I get very bad migraines, and when my sugar is low, I become very hungry. Other symptoms include sleepiness, weight loss, and dizziness at times.

Published: May 30

I had a cerebellum/brainstem stroke with two minor strokes in the last week. I stopped recovering and started on a downward slide by way of tiring easily and massive lower back, leg and ankle cramps. At a routine visit in March my doctor was concerned about rising blood/sugar levels. I was tested a month later. At that time a wheelchair was brought into the room and the testing person mentioned that they may keep me overnight. It turned out my levels were above 600 and rising. My biggest problems were the fact that before I was recovering nicely but a month later I found myself starting all over. Last year was a bad year for me and emergency rooms. Not only did I drive myself to the hospital after the second minor stroke. I drove to and then crawled into the emergency room for severe lower abdominal pain, two hours later I was in surgery for appendicitis. Soon after that I was told that my fight with prostate levels over 11 had went back to normal...so you win some every now and then.

Published: May 27

I ate and ate but still remained slim! Also I was always thirsty and going to the loo often. This all happened 37 years ago, when diabetes was not as open as it is today. One day I had flu symptoms feeling quite unwell the doctor was called out and I was left with some medicine, later that day my dad went to check on me and he couldn't wake me up..... I had gone into a coma it was touch and go (so I was told) but I was rushed to hospital and the rest is history. At first I was told to eat 5 oranges a day for the potassium then I remember practicing on an orange with a syringe. At the time I was only 13 and it was not as bad as you would imagine I just went along with it and all these years later I still am!

Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?