Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Dusty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Starting out, I did not have any symptoms to speak of. My cholesterol was high, so my doctor did a hemoglobin A1c test and I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Three months later, after I gained 13 pounds, the doctor tested me again. This time, I had full-blown diabetes. Now, I watch what I eat, exercise when I can, and am losing weight. My numbers for the fasting blood sugar test stay between 85-100 mg/dL. I love carbs but now know they are the enemy, so I have adjusted my diet.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was 8 yrs old. Had typical symptoms of thirst, lethargy, urinary frequency, weighed just 40 lb for 18 months, growing but getting thinner? TV hurt my eyes, no saliva and horrible taste in mouth, would sleep 24/7 if allowed to. The doctor kept insisting I was fine and did not examine me. A friend suggested it might be diabetes, but the doctor didn't want to test urine. He finally agreed to give me the test, but still insisting it would be negative. Wrong! I was referred to hospital for routine appointment in 2 weeks. Fortunately the school nurse said don't wait, go there now. Hospital doctors said I was 2 days from a coma.

Published: May 27

Hearing loss , ringing in the ears and dehydration were my diabetic symptoms. Also sometimes my blood sugar would drop too low (40-) and I would have hypoglycemia. Also I had bladder infections that my doctor put down to menopause symptoms at first. I also have connective tissue disease which muddied the waters a bit until random blood work with my rheumatologist and my gynecologist showed elevated glucose levels. I have nine siblings and six out of 10 have diabetes. The first diagnosed was my youngest brother who died of diabetes complications age 35. I have told my four siblings who are not diagnosed yet to watch for symptoms of diabetes. They are not the youngest, my oldest sibling is free of symptoms. It might also be noted there are four different kinds of auto-immune disease with myself and my siblings.

Comment from: gibsongothchick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

My first diabetes symptom was diabetic neuropathy. I didn't know I was diabetic until I went to my doctor complaining about constant foot pain. After a multitude of tests for everything from rheumatoid arthritis to muscular dystrophy, an emergency room physician checked my blood sugar.

Comment from: Joanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

The only symptom that I had was tingling in my legs especially at night after I retired to bed. The tingling became more severe where I could not get them to stop. I thought I had restless leg syndrome. My doctor tested me for diabetes and found that I had type II diabetes and the sugar was attacking my legs because it had no place to go. He put me on a sugar free diet and Actos and within one to two days my symptom were gone.

Comment from: rocky57, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My father's entire family has diabetes, so I knew to watch for symptoms as I aged. I did not, however, know the extent that diabetes can effect your dental health. I have had perfect teeth my entire life. At age 51, I went for a routine bi-annual cleaning, and was told I had beginning periodontal disease. The next week I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes.

Comment from: carr97, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I didn't have diabetes symptoms per se, but my mother was diagnosed with diabetes two months before I was. I went to see the doctor with a fractured wrist and when he took my history, I told him about my mother, and me being overweight, he tested me that same week. I had it too. Now both my mother and I are always looking, reading and studying up on as much information as we can on "our" disease. She helps me, and I help her.

Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?