Patient Comments: Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Barb March58, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My blood glucose lab readings for 49 years were always between 99 and 104. I had the last test done 5 days before entering the hospital for a "spider bite" which turned out to be MRSA. My glucose levels were 500-600. I had no symptoms and since I'd never been hospitalized, it actually felt like a "spa" to me - no cooking, no phones, etc. I was loving this. Well, I wound up having severe surgery removing a rather large mass from my upper thigh. I was put on Glucophage the minute the sugar levels were notices elevated. My docs (from one of the world's most famous hospital) actually believe that the MRSA brought on the diabetes and in 3-4 months it will slowly dissipate. I've always eaten a very healthy, balanced diet. But the numbers jump from 103 to 500 every single day - no matter what I eat, when I take the meds, when I exercise, etc. BUT IT STILL HAVE NO SYMPTOMS! However, just because I can't "feel" it, I take this very seriously. Good luck to all.

Comment from: SSpumpkin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

After reviewing a letter written by my doctor, where I read he had prescribed Celebrex for me due to pain of Arthritis which had really messed up my neck, back and knees, I found that one of the side effects of Celebrex is Diabetes. I have Type 2, now, and have been being treated for it for over three years. I am keeping it under control, but it's not easy and I have a tendency to mess up when I cannot afford my medications. I am retired, living on a fixed income and money is hard to come by. As noted in the Celebrex info, this can also work into hypoglycemia. Just loads of fun here, huh?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was 8 yrs old. Had typical symptoms of thirst, lethargy, urinary frequency, weighed just 40 lb for 18 months, growing but getting thinner? TV hurt my eyes, no saliva and horrible taste in mouth, would sleep 24/7 if allowed to. The doctor kept insisting I was fine and did not examine me. A friend suggested it might be diabetes, but the doctor didn't want to test urine. He finally agreed to give me the test, but still insisting it would be negative. Wrong! I was referred to hospital for routine appointment in 2 weeks. Fortunately the school nurse said don't wait, go there now. Hospital doctors said I was 2 days from a coma.

Published: May 27

Hearing loss , ringing in the ears and dehydration were my diabetic symptoms. Also sometimes my blood sugar would drop too low (40-) and I would have hypoglycemia. Also I had bladder infections that my doctor put down to menopause symptoms at first. I also have connective tissue disease which muddied the waters a bit until random blood work with my rheumatologist and my gynecologist showed elevated glucose levels. I have nine siblings and six out of 10 have diabetes. The first diagnosed was my youngest brother who died of diabetes complications age 35. I have told my four siblings who are not diagnosed yet to watch for symptoms of diabetes. They are not the youngest, my oldest sibling is free of symptoms. It might also be noted there are four different kinds of auto-immune disease with myself and my siblings.

Comment from: Hunter918, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

Three months ago I constantly had to go to the bathroom. I thought it was because I gave up soft drinks and was only drinking water. One day I had a stomachache. I was in bed for 4 days. The doctor's appointment was for a Wednesday. I got sick and went to emergency room on a Monday. I was told my blood sugar level was 810 and I have diabetes. Since then, I eat better, take better care of myself and went from 260 to 220 lbs.

Comment from: cinderellis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I had fatigue, no energy, sores in my mouth, blurry eyes, sensitivity to light, and teary eyes. I also experienced itchy thighs and buttocks, heart palpitations, and higher-than-normal blood pressure with a pulse rate of 105. Today, my fasting count was 152. I am thirsty. I have glucose intolerance, so I don't eat sugar or starch. My liver tests have been high. My red blood counts have been under average for the past two blood tests. My white blood count was high and a lupus test was high, but but did C3 C4 tests and said I don't have lupus. I feel awful, have no energy, and can't get to noon or so each day before going downhill.

Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?