Patient Comments: Diabetes - Acute Complication

What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I'm a Pharmacist by profession, but in spite of knowing details of my chronic diseases – type 2 diabetes and essential hypertension, I was not able to constantly maintain my blood sugar. Unfortunately an episode occurred mid-December while I was on duty in the Hospital. I had a silent-type Ventricular Tachycardia emergency.This was the cause of uncontrolled blood sugar. Readers are advised to be careful and health providers to gain knowledge out of this incident.

Comment from: joeo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

When I eat, it reaches its peak reading about two hours afterwards. My best control is after prolonged walking or exercise at a pace suitable for a 70-year-old. Perhaps 4 to 5 hours of walking and taking along suitable drinks and food, including fruit, also helps. The good effect seems to last for several days after a day's walk.

Comment from: Blinky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I find that stress really affects my blood sugar levels. Walking does help to bring them down. I don't normally eat sweets, but if I have a large portion my blood sugar levels spike. I think it's the influx of all of the glucose at once.

Comment from: SugarDaddy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I ate a small piece of cake for my daughter's birthday because that kind of thing is allowed according to my dietitian. However, my blood sugar spiked much higher than it should have. I took a walk and it helped some. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Diabetes - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Diabetes - Causes Question: What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?