Patient Comments: Diabetes - Causes

What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?

Comment from: BJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I developed polymyalgia and giant cell arteritis and was put on prednisone. I developed drug induced diabetes, what a mess! I'm having problems getting blood sugar under control in the afternoons. I can't seem to eat anything without it elevating to the 350 and above level for hours; got lots of work to do.

Comment from: darthur, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I'm a 69 year old that was diagnosed wit type II diabetes approximately 15 years ago. I attended a class at the local hospital and followed their advice almost to the letter, not enough exercise, but my glucose level continued to increase until my next step would have been insulin. 10 months ago, I read the book, "Wheat Belly" and immediately stopped eating anything containing wheat; today my glucose is normal, I lost 40 pounds, and only take metformin. I still do not exercise, but am more active with no joint pains.

Comment from: Diabetes, Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I am a 32 year old houselady, weight of 84 and height 5'6"; I was diagnosed with Diabetes at the age of 30 during pregnancy and my doctor had suggested to take insulin. I had taken the insulin during the last two month of pregnancy. With God grace i had normal delivery. But now my blood sugar is increase i.e. morethan 250.

Comment from: New2Diabetes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I developed gestational diabetes when I was carrying my first child. Now my son is 2 years old and I've developed full-blown type 2 diabetes. Is my pregnancy to blame?

Comment from: pt, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I am a 20 year old female; I was diagnosed with T1 Diabetes at the age of 10. I have never been over the weight of 130 and I am 5'6". Today, I am experiencing extreme high blood pressure, weight loss (now 104) and tingling in my right baby toe. I have never took great care of my diabetes and I am paying the price. There is no reason or excuse to not take care of your illness so please, if you are diabetic take care of it :). It's not the end of the world by any means and you can like a perfectly normal life with it. The feeling of being a healthy diabetic is amazing, however the feeling of being a unhealthy diabetic is miserable.

Comment from: unknown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

Every month I had bad yeast infections, it was only after reading in a magazine that this can be a sign of diabetes, my sugars were 20.8 definite type 2. That was 8 years ago, now on medication and insulin.

Comment from: Anna37, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and now I have type 2. Any other new moms struggling with the same issue?

Diabetes - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?