Patient Comments: Diabetes - Causes

What was the cause of your diabetes (overweight, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, autoimmune)?

Comment from: pt, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I am a 20 year old female; I was diagnosed with T1 Diabetes at the age of 10. I have never been over the weight of 130 and I am 5'6". Today, I am experiencing extreme high blood pressure, weight loss (now 104) and tingling in my right baby toe. I have never took great care of my diabetes and I am paying the price. There is no reason or excuse to not take care of your illness so please, if you are diabetic take care of it :). It's not the end of the world by any means and you can like a perfectly normal life with it. The feeling of being a healthy diabetic is amazing, however the feeling of being a unhealthy diabetic is miserable.

Comment from: unknown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

Every month I had bad yeast infections, it was only after reading in a magazine that this can be a sign of diabetes, my sugars were 20.8 definite type 2. That was 8 years ago, now on medication and insulin.

Comment from: Anna37, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and now I have type 2. Any other new moms struggling with the same issue?

Diabetes - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Diabetes - Test Question: What type of diabetes test do you use to check your blood sugar at home?
Diabetes - Acute Complication Question: What causes your blood sugar readings to spike, and what action do you take to lower them?