Patient Comments: Diabetes and Kidney Disease - Symptoms

Question:What kinds of symptoms did you experience with kidney disease?

Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

With kidney disease, I urinate a lot and am always thirsty.

Comment from: msslegal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had type 1 diabetes for 22 years. I was diagnosed with kidney failure 18 months ago. The worst symptom I suffer from was dehydration. I must take a water pill to keep the water out of my lungs and my legs. However, the water pills cause dehydration. On average, three times a week, I have to deal with dehydration. It causes me to be so dizzy and weak that I can't stand up. It takes about 4-6 hours and 64 ounces of water to correct.

Diabetes and Kidney Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of kidney disease.
Diabetes and Kidney Disease - Care Question: In what ways do you maintain your health as a patient with diabetes and kidney disease?