Patient Comments: Deviated Septum - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your deviated septum?

Comment from: patientX, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

My deviated septum was caused by basketball to the face at age 12 during free-for-all 20-balls-lose-on-the-court-frenzy at summer camp in YMCA. I broke my eyeglasses twice that summer. I bent the frames all up repeatedly, too.

Comment from: sebrena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was hit on the nose two different times by a baseball by the age of 14, which was the cause of my deviated septum.

Comment from: lindabob20008, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I fell across a sidewalk, landing with my head in between the sidewalk and curb, hitting my nose and cheek against the water meter that was placed there. I broke bones in my cheek, eye orbit and nose. The nose healed crooked, causing a deviated septum. I am having a septoplasty next month to move the pieces of bone and repair the septum.

Comment from: bkalm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I broke my nose at least twice as a child causing a deviated septum. Once walking into a wall at about the age of 4. It was dark and I was trying to locate the bathroom. Second time was when I was playing in my aunt's above ground pool and dived into the side of the pool.

Comment from: lilmia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was thrown from a horse and landed on my head, receiving a concussion.

Comment from: Doc B, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

My deviated septum happened because I snorted a lot of cocaine, meth, pills, Pixy Stix, gluePretty much anything I could get my hands on.

Comment from: rob carl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I was punched out by a bigger kid when I was young, so one side of my nose is about 50% smaller than the other side. This makes it much harder to breathe through that nostril.

Comment from: broken nose, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I have been in numerous fights and have had my nose broken at least twice. The last incident was due to a motorcycle wreck, which smashed my sinuses. Now I suffer from hard breathing through my nose. I don't leave the house without a handkerchief.

Deviated Septum - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with your deviated septum?
Deviated Septum - Surgery Question: Did you have surgery for a deviated septum? Did you also have rhinoplasty done at the same time?