- Tips for Treating Ear Infections
- Ear Infection Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Hearing Ringing in Your Ears?
- Patient Comments: Deviated Septum - Causes
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Quick GuideSinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms and Treatment Options
What are the symptoms of deviated septum?
A deviated septum may not cause any problems in some people. When a deviated septum does cause symptoms, they may include:
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Nasal congestion, usually one side more than the other
- Recurrent sinus infections
- Sleep problems, such as loud snoring or sleep apnea
- Headache postnasal drip
How is deviated septum diagnosed?
Your health care professional can diagnose a deviated septum during the physical examination. Usually a bright light and an instrument that can help visualize the nasal septum by opening the nostril (nasal speculum) will help make the correct diagnosis. Some deviated septums are deep in the nose and may require further evaluation in the office with a small telescope or endoscope.
How is deviated septum treated?
A deviated septum is an extremely common condition and many people with a deviated septum do not need treatment.
Some symptoms such as a stuffy nose or postnasal drip may be alleviated with medication, including decongestants, antihistamines, or nasal sprays. In many cases, medications are tried before surgery is recommended.
If a person has a deviated septum and it causes breathing problems or sleep apnea and snoring, surgery may be recommended to repair the septum. Surgery to fix a deviated septum is called a septoplasty, submucous resection of the septum, or septal reconstruction.
When should I see a doctor about a deviated septum?
See your doctor about a deviated septum if you have:
- trouble with nasal breathing,
- sleep problems (particularly sleep apnea), or
- chronic sinus problems.
A deviated septum may cause any of these problems, however, there are other reasons these symptoms may occur and it is important to see a doctor for a correct diagnosis and treatment.