- Quiz: Your Baby's First Year!
- 10 Mistakes New Parents Make Slideshow Pictures
- Parenting and Healthy Eating Slideshow Pictures
- Find a local Pediatrician in your town
- What is child development?
- What is a developmental delay? Will my child just grow out of it?
- What is developmental screening?
- Why is developmental screening important?
- I have concerns that my child could have a developmental delay. Who can I contact in my state to get a developmental assessment for my child?
- How can I help my child's development?
I have concerns that my child could have a developmental delay. Whom can I contact in my state to get a developmental assessment for my child?
Talk to your child's doctor or nurse if you have concerns about how your child is developing. If you or your doctor think there could be a problem, you can take your child to see a developmental pediatrician or other specialist, and you can contact your local early intervention agency (for children under 3) or public school (for children 3 and older) for help. To find out who to speak to in your area, you can contact the National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities by logging on to www.nichcy.org/states.htm. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has links to information for families at (www.cdc.gov/actearly). If there is a problem, it is very important to get your child help as soon as possible.
How can I help my child's development?
Proper nutrition, exercise, and rest are very important for children's health and development. Providing a safe and loving home and spending time with your child - playing, singing, reading, and even just talking - can also make a big difference in his or her development.
For other ideas of activities to do with your child, and for child safety information, go to www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/child/ and look in the "developmental milestones" section.
Medically reviewed by Margaret Walsh, MD; American Board of Pediatrics
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Last update: 9/29/2009